Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/15/2012 3:44:09 AM EDT
Besides boiling, and 8 drops of bleach per gallon....

What other ways can you purify water.  

Link Posted: 11/15/2012 4:52:41 AM EDT
[#1]
if you are talking critters and viruses

.02 micron filters for virus,
.1 micron filters most of the bacteria...
SODIS uses UV Sunlight to kill most fo the pathogenic critters if you have clear containers and time
artificial UV like Steripen
iodine ... the strength is sometime difficult to determine

specific resins and activated charcoal for dissolved metallic ions, liquid hydrocarbons
Link Posted: 11/15/2012 4:58:54 AM EDT
[#2]
filter or boil come to mind, as means other than bleach to purify H2O
Link Posted: 11/15/2012 5:00:12 AM EDT
[#3]
My understanding is you don't even have to boil it anymore. Just bring it to the brink of boil and the water is sterilized.
Link Posted: 11/15/2012 6:17:51 AM EDT
[#4]
I live in "beaver fever country".  Boil for 3 minutes if > 6,000 feet.
Link Posted: 11/15/2012 7:25:32 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

My understanding is you don't even have to boil it anymore. Just bring it to the brink of boil and the water is sterilized.

no
Link Posted: 11/15/2012 8:12:04 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

no

Well, you can make it safe to drink by bringing it to something like 160 for 10 minutes or something like that (check on those numbers, I don't think they are right on). But you don't HAVE TO boil it.

Link Posted: 11/15/2012 8:25:22 AM EDT
[#7]
Why wouldn't you want to boil it, just to be on the safe side?  Why risk your health?
Link Posted: 11/15/2012 9:01:15 AM EDT
[#8]
If you have a limited fuel source. FWIW, when I took my Wilderness First Responder course, they recommended that once the water started to boil, it was good to go. My personal preference is the Sawyer filter with Aquamira drops.

Quoted:

Why wouldn't you want to boil it, just to be on the safe side?  Why risk your health?

edit: EPA says to boil for one minute.

Link Posted: 11/15/2012 9:03:01 AM EDT
[#9]
You would think we would have a tacked thread on this by now
Link Posted: 11/15/2012 9:17:06 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
You would think we would have a tacked thread on this by now

Yup.  Also, Google has the answers. Also, 'purifying' implies things that don't happen by boiling or adding bleach.

Link Posted: 11/15/2012 10:26:43 AM EDT
[#11]
Ok here is my plan, tell me if it is wrong.

Picked up a Sawyer squeeze water filter.    

I will run water through filter then either boil or treat with bleach or long term pool shock as prescribed in other threads.

Drink and be merry.

Link Posted: 11/15/2012 11:06:11 AM EDT
[#12]
We don't need more tacked threads. We need ONE tacked thread with many links to important threads on important SF subjects.
Link Posted: 11/15/2012 12:24:03 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
We don't need more tacked threads. We need ONE tacked thread with many links to important threads on important SF subjects.

I suggested a food and water ORACLE a few weeks back..  

Come on staff give us one...
Link Posted: 11/15/2012 6:56:36 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

I will run water through filter then either boil or treat with bleach or long term pool shock as prescribed in other threads.

Drink and be merry.

Careful with the pool shock, nasty crap in there they usually don't bother to mention. I would stick to bleach/tablets.

Link Posted: 11/15/2012 7:54:09 PM EDT
[#15]
Just as a side note, you cannot (easily) get pure iodine anymore. If you take the time to educate yourself about it, potassium permanganate is a multi-use alternative.

Link Posted: 11/16/2012 7:33:59 AM EDT
[#16]
Yes the pool shoock is the long term end of world part of the plan.

I will start out with bleach and drops as mentioned.

Quoted:

Quoted:

Drink and be merry.

Careful with the pool shock, nasty crap in there they usually don't bother to mention. I would stick to bleach/tablets.

Link Posted: 11/22/2012 2:19:44 PM EDT
[#17]
Using sip wells, collecting water from tree's, dew ect. water purification might be a secondary concern. Sigma 3 has a bushcrafting program including water collection/purification methods that culminates in a 5 day knife only class. I have taken some of thier classes and they are top notch. The more you know, the less you need!
Link Posted: 11/22/2012 4:14:30 PM EDT
[#18]
Look at the Berkey purifiers. I have one black two filter (double 5 gal bucket) kit on the shelf ready to use. I got it here for $75. For the water out of my well, I'll pre filter it with a coffee filter then run it through the Berkey. My well water is not the best drinking water (we use it for irrigating), but my house is on community water. It is a small water district with three different wells and a large tank. I'm setting up to store 100 gallons in two barrels and ten gallons in 2.5 gallon jugs. This will be short term. The Berkey filters are for long term solution for unprocessed water from my well, or the seasonal watershed creek by my house.

My brother currently lives in Mexico on the mainland. He uses this Berkey kit for all of his consumed water. The water there is very chlorinated to the point of it smelling like a public pool. And it is not safe to drink without purifying. After the Berkey, it's good to go.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top