Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/15/2012 3:03:09 PM EDT
I had three of these, one in the BOB, one in my glove box, and one in the wife's glove box. Pretty much simultaneously, both glove box flashlights quit working.

I went to Home Depot AND Lowes, thinking maybe it was bad diodes ("bulbs") and I'd try replacing one. But not only were there no replacement diodes, but neither store is carrying this flashlight anymore!  

They used to sell craploads of them. Did they turn out to be lemons or something?? If so, I definitely need to replace the one in the BOB with something else ... maybe I should ask Santa for a nice little Surefire light??
Link Posted: 10/15/2012 3:37:19 PM EDT
[#1]
They still sell them by the truck load.

I bought one when they first came out and they had a problem with the connection on the end cap.

I think enough people complained and they modified it for the connection and also added a lanyard hole.

They have several versions out now of the AA LED Mini Mag, one that has the multi mode switch, a version that has high and low and a model that is just a LED flashlight IIRC.
Link Posted: 10/15/2012 3:55:30 PM EDT
[#2]
I scored three of the multi-mode models when they went on Father's Day sale for $10.
Should have bought ten of them.
Link Posted: 10/15/2012 5:10:03 PM EDT
[#3]
I have a bunch but they're really dim compared to modern LED lights.  Amazon carries a replacement LED bulb which works really well and even works with the adjustable focus.  Kind of expensive but it made my old maglight one of my go-to lights again.
Link Posted: 10/15/2012 5:28:02 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I have a bunch but they're really dim compared to modern LED lights.  Amazon carries a replacement LED bulb which works really well and even works with the adjustable focus.  Kind of expensive but it made my old maglight one of my go-to lights again.

Yeah, the ones I'm talking about are LED equipped out of the box. Good to hear they're still out there, maybe I'm frickin blind, I'll look again tomorrow. I always liked this light a lot for the money - at least until last week when two of them quit on me at once.

I still may ask Santa about that Surefire.

Link Posted: 10/15/2012 5:49:30 PM EDT
[#5]
I've actually bought z few different types of tactical led off ebay for about 5-10 each. I've had really good luck with them.
Link Posted: 10/15/2012 6:06:42 PM EDT
[#7]

245 lumens? Holy shit! My old school Streamlight TLR-1 "only" gets 135!

Link Posted: 10/15/2012 6:31:41 PM EDT
[#8]
Any of these P7 equipped lights = 900 lumens. They are like having a high beam in your hand. I got all my family these last year for Christmas. We got the 2 x 18650 battery version. $36.
Link Posted: 10/15/2012 8:25:37 PM EDT
[#9]
on the end cap thing... I use a 2AA LED MagLite for a headlight on a bicycle that gets about 6 miles a day on boulevard... the batteries take a beating, but since scratching the anodizing off the tail cap and light body for better contact, has been a lot more reliable
Link Posted: 10/15/2012 8:58:15 PM EDT
[#10]
amazon
AA for $18
Link Posted: 10/16/2012 1:44:34 AM EDT
[#11]
Original 2 AA mini-maglites never really cut it for me.  I used these almost exclusively on a couple of deployments (before LED lights became affordable and bright), and I ended up changing "bulbs" as often as I changed batteries (I worked nights).  I found them fairly unreliable for extended work.

During a recent garage cleanup, I found around six of 'em.  Sold the bundle of 'em for six bucks at a garage sale.

I have used their newer LED lites––XL50?  XL100?  I don't remember the nomenclature, I"m sorry...and found them to be vastly superior, although the first generation model (XL50?) had the absolute WORST mode-changing method I've ever used.  Reliability was several orders of magnitude better than the original incandescant mini-maglites, as well as brightness.

I still have the XL100 or whatever the second gen mini-maglite LED model is, somewhere, as a backup.

I've recently switched over to CR123 platform LED lites.  Currently having a love affair with a Fenix PD22.
The size is right, and it doesn't roll around when I set it down.  

Link Posted: 10/16/2012 2:25:28 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 10/16/2012 2:38:04 AM EDT
[#13]
Picked up one of these last night on a whim. $24.79 shipped from fleabay.

Link Posted: 10/16/2012 3:27:35 AM EDT
[#14]
If you have a Academy sports near by...try them.

The one here has a ton of maglight LED stuff.
Link Posted: 10/16/2012 6:20:09 AM EDT
[#15]
I had a bunch of mini mags around the house and converted them to these.
Link Posted: 10/16/2012 8:42:07 AM EDT
[#16]
A note about converting old Maglites to LED: while you can swap out the incandescent bulb for an LED one, the purpose-built LED Maglites have a somewhat different shaped reflector to take advantage of the LED's output. So, in short, if you swap out the bulb on your MagLite to LED it won't be as good as the Maglite that has the LED reflector in it. At least, that was the case with the ones I had a few years back that I swapped bulbs in.
Link Posted: 10/16/2012 9:07:09 AM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 10/16/2012 10:02:07 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Maglites and Minimaglites are 1980's technology.

There are far superior lights now that are cheaper and last longer (not to mentioned BRIGHTER).

Try any of the CREE lights that use AA batteries

Umm, not for nothing, but what exactly do you think the new mini-mags use? yeah, Cree led's and AA batteries.

There wasn't a light listed on the first page of your link that was as bright as my Pro-plus.

New mini mag out now, 320 lumen models, but it uses CR's I like AA compatibility.

Wife has an XL-200, only 177 lumens, but she loves it, she likes the infinite adjustability, uses the ultra low setting to read at night, very cool, much dimmer than a lamp yet enough for her to read, batteries supposed to last a whopping 218 hours at this lowest setting.

Got a Fusion 36 for my old 4-d-cell, works awesome, 400 lumens now in my skull-basher

Never had a Maglite fail me in over 30 years of using them.

Link Posted: 10/17/2012 12:02:58 PM EDT
[#19]
Maglites are nice, and I still have my old incan AA ones, but for the price I see no benefit in getting LED Maglites.

For a cheap flashlight, I love the $1 LED flashlights from harbor freight for leaving around (truck, toolbox,drawers around the house, etc) or using when I don't want to worry about losing one, as they usually come with batteries, are surprisingly durable for $1, and if they break give me 9 LEDs I can build other things with and some aluminum for the scrap bucket or whatever.
Link Posted: 10/17/2012 12:17:45 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
amazon
AA for $18

69 lumens?

Link Posted: 10/17/2012 5:54:22 PM EDT
[#21]
Maglite........

YAWN..

Link Posted: 10/18/2012 8:25:14 AM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 10/19/2012 3:51:59 AM EDT
[#23]
I have now had three of the minimags fail on me over the years. no more for me.
Link Posted: 10/19/2012 5:22:36 AM EDT
[#24]
That Mag-tac looked good...but seriously?  No adjustable power levels?  I think somebody screwed up.
Link Posted: 10/19/2012 5:39:33 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
i have to agree with batman. i used maglights from the very first model until about 10 years ago when they became utterly obsolete in the field.

there are a host of lights out there brighter with longer run times for the same cost or cheaper. just last month the jetbeam p40 was onsale for 39.00. slightly larger but 468lm with a 2.5hr runtime on high and a very easy to use interface for reduce output levels.

i really do think these are better lights than the mini mags.

I'm not sure what field you are in, but in my fields they are not obsolete, they get used everyday. I work with them, use them when putting up livestock at night, and as a host of dead varmint carcasses that were trying to raid my henhouse can attest, they work well for lighting up things you intend to shoot.

There are no lights really any brighter out there than the new gen of mini-mags on AA batteries (which is what the OP asked about), there are some amazing lights that run on cr123's, and even crazier ones that run on the RCR's,  but some of us don't feel like paying that kind of money for batteries, and also feel that it will be easier to scrounge for AA's should the need arise.

The PA deal was awesome, still kicking myself for not getting it, but in truth, it's a plastic flashlight with a plastic battery holder inside, my 4-d mag also runs 400 lumens now, and I think the maglite will be around much longer and plus if it came down to nothing but light vs. light i'm pretty sure I can take anybody that's only got a small plastic flashlight.

People on this site seem prone to declare a lot of things obsolete, without a whole lot of good reasons too. I find that kind of consumerist and faddish, it's the male version of fashion though you'll never hear them admit it. Throw out perfectly good stuff when supposedly better stuff comes out 6 months or a year later? Yeah, that's for iPhone fanboys.

"Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to change it every six months".  ~Oscar Wilde

YMMV, this is just an ol chicken farmer's opinion.
Link Posted: 10/19/2012 6:44:22 AM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 10/19/2012 7:55:58 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Quoted:
i have to agree with batman. i used maglights from the very first model until about 10 years ago when they became utterly obsolete in the field.

there are a host of lights out there brighter with longer run times for the same cost or cheaper. just last month the jetbeam p40 was onsale for 39.00. slightly larger but 468lm with a 2.5hr runtime on high and a very easy to use interface for reduce output levels.

I'm not sure what field you are in, but in my fields they are not obsolete, they get used everyday. I work with them, use them when putting up livestock at night, and as a host of dead varmint carcasses that were trying to raid my henhouse can attest, they work well for lighting up things you intend to shoot.

There are no lights really any brighter out there than the new gen of mini-mags on AA batteries (which is what the OP asked about), there are some amazing lights that run on cr123's, and even crazier ones that run on the RCR's,  but some of us don't feel like paying that kind of money for batteries, and also feel that it will be easier to scrounge for AA's should the need arise.

The PA deal was awesome, still kicking myself for not getting it, but in truth, it's a plastic flashlight with a plastic battery holder inside, my 4-d mag also runs 400 lumens now, and I think the maglite will be around much longer and plus if it came down to nothing but light vs. light i'm pretty sure I can take anybody that's only got a small plastic flashlight.

People on this site seem prone to declare a lot of things obsolete, without a whole lot of good reasons too. I find that kind of consumerist and faddish, it's the male version of fashion though you'll never hear them admit it. Throw out perfectly good stuff when supposedly better stuff comes out 6 months or a year later? Yeah, that's for iPhone fanboys.

"Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to change it every six months".  ~Oscar Wilde

Funny how you had to retrofit your big D cell light to get it to keep up with the lights I keep in my pocket......

maglight has waited for years to even attempt to catch up with the better lights now available. They are wildly stupid. So many occasional light users still feel well served by their crappy performance that they were propped up by reputation alone. That is ending now so they can lie in the grave they dug for themselves.

My only 2D cell mag light sized light puts out 1800 lumens.
Link Posted: 10/19/2012 8:08:02 AM EDT
[#28]
They were next to the buggy whips, behind the washboards, last time I checked.

Link Posted: 10/19/2012 8:14:47 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Maglights are playing catchup with their LED offerings.  The fact you haven't noticed isn't the fault of folks on this site. You missed the 10 year LED lead the rest of the industry had.  10 years of technology isn't 'faddish' nor 'consumerist'.
Link Posted: 10/19/2012 9:11:09 AM EDT
[#30]
Well, like I said, just my opinion.

As fer 1800 lumens, don't need it, nor the inevitable cost associated with it, gotta better things to spend what little money I have on. My big d-cell has lasted for over a decade, that's pretty good performance for a 20 dollar investment.

And again, the OP posted about where to get AA maglites, I reckon he really wasn't soliciting bashers, possibly he wanted info on maglites?

And still I don't see where anybody has a two cell AA that is putting out more light than the maglite pro plus, I see quite a few of the "popular" brands that are offering a lot less, for a lot more money.

And I sure don't give two hoots for whatever grudge somebody has against a flashlight company about what they did or didn't do the last ten years, their current offerings suit my needs well,  cost me less than 35 bucks, run common AA batteries, have metal cases that have already withstood more punishment here on a daily basis on a working farm/ranch than the 90% couch queens of arfcom will ever put any piece of gear they own through in their soft-ass lifetime.

And last but not least, Maglites are made in the U.S.A., that still means something out here in these parts.

ETA: I want to apologize if i'm stepping on somebody's dick here, not trying to be an asshole or belittle anybody's personal choice of gear. I'm just trying to say that the gear I have, gets daily hard use and has not failed, and is cost effective, perhaps other people's current experiences with current equipment, is much different than mine. The OP's question was on availablity of AA maglites, I answered as best I could and gave him my thoughts on them as an owner of such.
Link Posted: 10/19/2012 4:38:42 PM EDT
[#31]
I have a few of the mini mag lights with corroded batteries in them.  Is there a way to remove the light and pound through the mag light body to remove the batteries?  I tried drilling into the batteries with a lag bolt and jerking, but the batteries are seized tight.
Link Posted: 10/20/2012 12:15:58 PM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 10/20/2012 12:21:35 PM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 10/20/2012 1:26:01 PM EDT
[#34]
My my new "Mini Maglite Pro" arrived ... ain't it a beauty??

Link Posted: 11/21/2012 7:34:25 AM EDT
[#35]
Hey I just wanted to give credit where it's due to Maglite here. I sent back one of my broken mini mags, with the required $3 check for postage. About two weeks later I just got it back, fully refurbished with a bunch of new parts.

It is what it is, but I appreciate a well-honored warranty.

Link Posted: 11/21/2012 8:30:27 AM EDT
[#36]
Years ago when they first came out I bought several LED Mini Maglights-around a half dozen I believe.

Over the years several have systematically failed-the emitter seems to go belly up. No idea if I got a bad batch or something, but I haven't been terribly impressed with them. I actually have had better luck with the standard Minis using LED conversions. My company keeps several of the 2D and 3D LED Maglights in our server and telco rooms for power outages, and those have held up much better for us. We don't need crazy high lumens during a power outage-just dependable illumination that isn't too hard on batteries.

My EDC flashlight is a Surefire 6PX Pro that rides on my belt in a converted nylon Glock mag pouch, and so far that light has served me well. Depending on usage, I typically go through one or two sets of batteries per week.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 8:58:42 AM EDT
[#37]
Seems like there's a lot of flashlight snobs in here!

I'm of the opinion that whether its a flashlight or a oily rag torch, if you can see with it, its gtg, but I have to admit that I do love my new streamlight. I might have to get one of those one from DX though...
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 9:39:33 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

I'm of the opinion that whether its a flashlight or a oily rag torch, if you can see with it, its gtg, but I have to admit that I do love my new streamlight. I might have to get one of those one from DX though...

My daughter gave me an LED Streamlight that runs on a single AAA for Father's Day. It's a fantastic little light, and useful as hell

Years ago my wife gave me a LiteBox that is still going strong. The head has been upgraded to LED and the SLA battery has been replaced a few times, but that thing is bomb proof.

I don't own very many Streamlight products, but the ones I do own have been fantastic.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 10:11:28 AM EDT
[#39]
The death of the 3 D cell Mag for me was a Surefire G2L with a Malkoff M60. The death of the AA Mini Mag was the 4Sevens Preon 2. Both of these are smaller, brighter, and have more versatility. Also replacement batteries are much easier to carry. I have no use for low output battery killer lights and just keep them in a drawer without batteries. But like a few have said, a Mag is better than sitting in the dark.
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 10:31:44 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

I don't hate the newer LED offerings from maglight. I just despise how long they had to have their butts kicked to pull their heads out of their asses.  Now they offer mostly very basic lights without much performance or features.

I have a  .005-500 lumen single cell light in my freakin pocket. It The price did not matter because it offers so much performance, quality, and battery life. I can run this light at 1/1000 of it's maximum and I often only need that much light. It is absolutely amazing the wonderful innovations happening now. Maglight will lag because they don't want to be bothered with the hard work of innovation.
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 3:50:40 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

It is absolutely amazing the wonderful innovations happening now. Maglight will lag because they don't want to be bothered with the hard work of innovation.

Maglite will lag because they cannot make a light made in the USA and keep the price at the point they want AND have all that stuff you like.

Most flashlight users other than cops and FF'ers dont give a crap about all the stuff that you like or I like.

I like good reliable flashlights, in my cars, next to my bed and in my garage.

I have a few LED minimags, a few minimags and a couple of LED 3D cells I keep all over. Each of my MagLites has a purpose and have never failed me.  I do have other lights, but my ML's are tough, made in the USA and affordable.

Link Posted: 11/21/2012 4:10:04 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

Quoted:
It is absolutely amazing the wonderful innovations happening now. Maglight will lag because they don't want to be bothered with the hard work of innovation.

Maglite will lag because they cannot make a light made in the USA and keep the price at the point they want AND have all that stuff you like.

Most flashlight users other than cops and FF'ers dont give a crap about all the stuff that you like or I like.

I like good reliable flashlights, in my cars, next to my bed and in my garage.

I have a few LED minimags, a few minimags and a couple of LED 3D cells I keep all over. Each of my MagLites has a purpose and have never failed me.  I do have other lights, but my ML's are tough, made in the USA and affordable.

Maglight's led and probably the whole board and switch is most likely already made in China,  which means it is extremely easy for them to pull their heads out of their asses. The parts already exist. All they have to do is build a light around them.
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 7:37:15 PM EDT
[#43]
The price is right on the mini-mags, and they provide sufficient light for a lot of tasks, but they don't seem to tolerate dust.  I have several of the LED versions and after a couple of months they all quit working.  The twist bezel switch also often turns on in my pocket, and runs down the battery.
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 8:18:07 PM EDT
[#44]
I've never been a big fan on the minimags, but I am very happy with my 4D with the standard mag light drop in LED.  It's not 200 lumens, but the battery life is in the hundreds of hours and I like the form factor of a 4 D maglite if I don't have my gun with me.  And even the most antiweapon police departments don't say anything about a well used maglite clipped to the floorboard, even the deputy sherrif who seized my Halligan tool stating  they (martial arts weapons in general) were illegal in florida (yes it was returned to me the same day by an embarassed sherrif)

Similarly I have one (3D) for my elderly aunt- It will last her through a hurricane, and the spare D batteries won't walk off like AAs, and they can be replaced without haveing to use a computer, visit a gun store, or get raped by the walmart name brand 123As at $6 ea.  Note a D battery has like 8 times the power of a 123A for the same price. I gave her one of the dirt cheap surefires (G2s) which while maybe a bad choice for a new light, makes a very nice car flashlight due to the long life, even in high temps, of 123As.

I do have 2 uses of the old minimags- one has the fiber optics extension which is very nice for use in checking out gun bores or internals, and the second is with my EMS gear.  I never want to take the chance of frying a patients pupil with a 300 lumen LED because I bumped the tailcap.  The dedicated penlights for doing this are almost useless for anything else, and the batteries can't be replaced..
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top