Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/7/2012 7:45:37 AM EDT
There's an increasing number of threads related to solar installations.  I'm lobbying for a separate forum.
Link Posted: 10/7/2012 7:56:11 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 10/7/2012 8:05:16 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 10/7/2012 9:39:05 AM EDT
[#3]
How about broadening it to an alternative energy forum?
Link Posted: 10/7/2012 2:08:34 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
ARCOM has far too many forums that get very, very little traffic.  The net result is increased bandwidth and an overall slower site.  Additionally, people have to search out forums to look for a topic when they could look/search GD or SF to find what they want.  GD and SF get more traffic hence more responses as well.

How does a forum that doesn't get used increase bandwidth and slow the site down???
Link Posted: 10/7/2012 2:19:04 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
ARCOM has far too many forums that get very, very little traffic.  The net result is increased bandwidth and an overall slower site.  Additionally, people have to search out forums to look for a topic when they could look/search GD or SF to find what they want.  GD and SF get more traffic hence more responses as well.

+87

WAY too many sub-forums.
Link Posted: 10/7/2012 2:20:28 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 10/7/2012 2:48:52 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

How does a forum that doesn't get used increase bandwidth and slow the site down???

It is more info traveling through the servers.  We don't want to overtax the hamsters do we?  

that info is already on the servers spread out between several forums. no new or over taxing added.
Link Posted: 10/7/2012 4:36:02 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Quoted:

+87

WAY too many sub-forums.

Negative.  I can see the need for an alt energy/solar forum.
Link Posted: 10/7/2012 6:04:53 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Link Posted: 10/7/2012 6:40:13 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

+87

WAY too many sub-forums.

Negative.  I can see the need for an alt energy/solar forum.

And then a BOV forum, a BOL forum, Alternate currency forum, a Survival Food forum, etc, etc.

To me it's just a pain in the ass to have to constantly monitor seven different sub forums for threads that might pique my interest.  If there were 300 solar threads in this forum I could understand but one solar/wind thread every other week doesn't justify an entire new forum.
Link Posted: 10/7/2012 9:02:55 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I voted yes, but I think it should encompass all sorts of off the grid power solutions.
Link Posted: 10/7/2012 9:43:58 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I voted yes, but I think it should encompass all sorts of off the grid power solutions.

This.
Link Posted: 10/7/2012 11:16:03 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Good point.

After all, why should solar be more deserving of its own forum than wind or hydro power?

On any given day, there are also a butt-load of threads on generators. So - What about having an even more generalized "Backup Power" forum that covers generators, solar, wind, hydro and any other non-utility  power source?
Link Posted: 10/8/2012 1:01:14 AM EDT
[#14]
I figure Solar and Alt. Energy fits with the homesteading forum.  Most folks who are into solar or Alt.E are typically into homesteading.  Those that aren't post in GD anyhow.  This site has way too many forums as it is and makes it a PITA to find each specific area... take a look at the armory board... My God... no wonder you can't get an answer, the traffic is so split up that no one hardly goes to them now.  It really makes it look like a joke.
Link Posted: 10/8/2012 3:50:48 AM EDT
[#15]
The responses here illustrate why I think a solar (alt energy) forum would be good.  Now you have to guess whether it's under "Homestead", "Survival", "General", "Team", or somewhere else.  I believe that the alt energy topic could now generate enough traffic to legitimately stand on its own.

I agree that the are A LOT of forums, but I believe that's a different issue.  If a forum is getting too little traffic to stand on its own, then it should be merged into a broader category.
Link Posted: 10/8/2012 4:39:32 AM EDT
[#16]
You call it Alt. energy and throw in the multifuel diesel engine threads, also with solar, wind, hydro, and generators.
Link Posted: 10/8/2012 4:39:35 AM EDT
[#17]
If we had a solar forum, people would still post solar topics here and in other forums,

same as they post reloading questions, scope questions, night vison questions, how to build my rifle questions, etc.
Even though those all have their own forums.

I guess it would give people the chance to jump in with the ever popular "The <insert name of forum> is that-a-way"

It took 10 seconds to create my own solar forum by using the search function.
I came up with 40 topics with the word 'solar' in them going back to 2011.
Link Posted: 10/8/2012 6:35:45 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
You call it Alt. energy and throw in the multifuel diesel engine threads, also with solar, wind, hydro, and generators.

I agree with Joe....it was the same thought i had.....
Link Posted: 10/8/2012 9:48:55 AM EDT
[#19]
Anything to do with survival and prepping should stay in here, period. Any new forums will simply not get the traffic to make them anything more and an infrequent stop. What we need are people dedicated to making SF a good place to get your prepping/survival info fix, and to enjoy the camaraderie of like-minded folks. Lets not dilute this forum with more stickies, subforums and useless posts about what color undies to wear for SHTF.
Link Posted: 10/8/2012 10:36:05 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Anything to do with survival and prepping should stay in here, period. Any new forums will simply not get the traffic to make them anything more and an infrequent stop. What we need are people dedicated to making SF a good place to get your prepping/survival info fix, and to enjoy the camaraderie of like-minded folks. Lets not dilute this forum with more stickies, subforums and useless posts about what color undies to wear for SHTF.

Word.
Link Posted: 10/8/2012 10:52:54 AM EDT
[#21]
no, way too many forums as is.

Maybe if idiots quit just posting about "which gun or bullet for shtf", then we could actually have some useful conversations about survival life

Link Posted: 10/8/2012 11:26:02 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Quoted:

yeah, no need for just a solar forum..... just make a energy forum.

solar,
wind
gothermal
wood heat
coal
generators
inverters
etc......... if you stuck a lot of energy related stuff in it, it should get more use. Topics seem to fall off forums faster when there is a lot of other things in them. I know theres a lot of info id like on all of the above in a one stop shopping kind of place.
Link Posted: 10/8/2012 12:16:18 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

yeah, no need for just a solar forum..... just make a energy forum.

solar,
wind
gothermal
wood heat
coal
generators
inverters
etc......... if you stuck a lot of energy related stuff in it, it should get more use. Topics seem to fall off forums faster when there is a lot of other things in them. I know theres a lot of info id like on all of the above in a one stop shopping kind of place.

Or...maybe this could be a subforum under the SURVIVAL GEAR forum? It is GEAR in a way...just a thought there, too. I agree we have a lot of great info here and maybe another forum is not necessary...I sometimes forget to check in the gear forum and it used to be daily...I like having it all in one forum, but yall can agree we have a lot of useful info here. Maybe a few more stickies for the newbie-search-impaired? Dunno-a lot of good ideas here.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top