Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/7/2012 4:51:47 AM EDT
I recently spent a very pleasant afternoon having a few beers with a dear friend and her father––the latter was in town on a visit.  The television series "Revolution" is being filmed in the neighborhood, and I made some passing reference to TEOTWAWKI.  He nodded, noted that "it's coming" and then moved on to another topic.  When I brought the subject up again a bit more directly, he readily agreed that some sort of collapse was on its way.

This gentlemen works in nuclear power, is well educated and in a position to know.  He admits he believes its coming, and doesn't seem, upon further light questioning, to be doing much about it.   Closet prepper?  Resigned to his fate?  Part of another plan?  Who knows?  It's just a bit odd for me to meet someone who seems to believe that the end is nigh but doesn't seem to be getting ready for it.

Your thoughts?
Link Posted: 10/7/2012 5:05:26 AM EDT
[#1]
Need another beer
Link Posted: 10/7/2012 6:52:24 AM EDT
[#2]
I work with a guy just like this (kinda), he drives me nuts.

He drives me nuts because hes the kinda guy that doesn't want to listen, just wants to talk, so hes always ranting on about the end coming, the collapse at our doorsteps, blah blah blah.

A few weeks ago we got on the subject of solar flares as he started ranting about the possibility of the biggest one and it reeking havoc on us.. As I begin telling him why its a possibility (the largest sun spot ever documented) he just ignores me and starts saying its gonna fuck everything up. blah blah blah

Hes a fuckin retard, cares not about educating himself or finding the root of the problem, just wants to rant about it coming. Im almost certain he wants it to happen, and Im confident hes the guy that thinks when it does he'll just run around and take what he needs. OPSEC like a mofo when Im around this guy.

I asked him once, "Since your so confident about it coming, what are you doing to prepare?". He replies with, "Nothing. What can you do?"

How about putting back some food you fuckin idiot! Thats what I wanted to say, but I just left it alone. If he just wants to surrender than so be it, not my choice to make for him.

The guy in your story is different I would guess, probably more mature. One of two things I would guess with him, hes practicing "safe secs", or he's just honestly so tired of listening to people like the dick head I work with that he just dismisses the whole idea when brought up. I do the same thing, I've got my own ideals and beliefs, when people start talking about it (SHTF) I just get annoyed with their "idiotology" and change the subject. Honestly, outside of many of the patrons here in the SF, theres hardly a good head out there on the subject, not that Ive found anyways. Im running out of patience for the morons, Ill bet the guy you talk about is too.

Its 2012 brother, apparently everybody is right about everything, all the time, every time. Shit, I can go outside and find an argument with somebody about what time it is.

Link Posted: 10/7/2012 7:06:41 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 10/7/2012 7:29:17 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
<snip>
.....he's just honestly so tired of listening to people like the dick head I work with that he just dismisses the whole idea when brought up. I do the same thing, I've got my own ideals and beliefs, when people start talking about it (SHTF) I just get annoyed with their "idiotology" and change the subject.

I tend to agree with this.
I really don't get into discussions with people about this. I don't even discuss with family members much, if at all.

I do not let it bother me.

However, I think zegermanznew is being kind to some of the people even here.
I don't how many times I see someone ask a question about storing X.

and that person gets responses, such as:
"Why do you want to store that?"
-or-
"I can guarantee that X will be worthless once SHTF"
-or-
"I can guarantee you that Y with be worth more than X when SHTF."

People tend to believe what they want to believe.
I just smile and wave, now.

Link Posted: 10/7/2012 7:31:17 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I work with a guy just like this (kinda), he drives me nuts.

He drives me nuts because hes the kinda guy that doesn't want to listen, just wants to talk, so hes always ranting on about the end coming, the collapse at our doorsteps, blah blah blah.

A few weeks ago we got on the subject of solar flares as he started ranting about the possibility of the biggest one and it reeking havoc on us.. As I begin telling him why its a possibility (the largest sun spot ever documented) he just ignores me and starts saying its gonna fuck everything up. blah blah blah

Hes a fuckin retard, cares not about educating himself or finding the root of the problem, just wants to rant about it coming. Im almost certain he wants it to happen, and Im confident hes the guy that thinks when it does he'll just run around and take what he needs. OPSEC like a mofo when Im around this guy.

I asked him once, "Since your so confident about it coming, what are you doing to prepare?". He replies with, "Nothing. What can you do?"

How about putting back some food you fuckin idiot! Thats what I wanted to say, but I just left it alone. If he just wants to surrender than so be it, not my choice to make for him.

The guy in your story is different I would guess, probably more mature. One of two things I would guess with him, hes practicing "safe secs", or he's just honestly so tired of listening to people like the dick head I work with that he just dismisses the whole idea when brought up. I do the same thing, I've got my own ideals and beliefs, when people start talking about it (SHTF) I just get annoyed with their "idiotology" and change the subject. Honestly, outside of many of the patrons here in the SF, theres hardly a good head out there on the subject, not that Ive found anyways. Im running out of patience for the morons, Ill bet the guy you talk about is too.

Its 2012 brother, apparently everybody is right about everything, all the time, every time. Shit, I can go outside and find an argument with somebody about what time it is.

The guy you are describing is the type of person I run into all the time. I believe he is the type of people who cannot fathom what life would be like ,nor want to live in a world where society and technology take a giant step backward. I believe they secretly hope to die early on in such a event so as to not suffer through it.

To me it is unfathomable to just give up and resign to my fate especially being a husband and now a father ,it just makes me want to do more to not only survive....but to prosper.
Link Posted: 10/7/2012 8:01:01 AM EDT
[#6]
In 2001 I worked at Schlumberger with many Pakistani, Indian and many other Middle Eastern people.

One, my boss, and I spoke a lot and discussed the Middle East, The Taliban and the whole mess over there at the time with the Taliban destroying Afghanistan etc.

He and I and a Gulf War vet were at lunch in August and discussed that fact that we believed something bad was brewing and it would happen soon.

You all know what happened 9/11 of course...

We were just observant and our experiences and research led us to believe it was coming...... so.. you may want to pay attention to some of this...
Link Posted: 10/7/2012 8:13:58 AM EDT
[#7]
I do pay attention to that kind of thing, but I wish he had been a bit more concrete about why he thinks we're headed for a collapse.  Theories are like armpits––-most people have a couple.
Link Posted: 10/7/2012 8:42:07 AM EDT
[#8]
I have worked with quite a few southern boys in my life and every one of them at one time or another would make the same comment.

"It'll be nice to have one of those WHEN the shit hits the fan."  It was alway "when" and not IF.

This is really just an observation really.  I found it interesting.

Link Posted: 10/7/2012 8:48:31 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I have worked with quite a few southern boys in my life and every one of them at one time or another would make the same comment.

"It'll be nice to have one of those WHEN the shit hits the fan."  It was alway "when" and not IF.

This is really just an observation really.  I found it interesting.

As a Southerner myself, I think that comes from our historical experience.  Without getting into the politics of it all, the S has HTF for us as a people before.
Link Posted: 10/7/2012 8:51:54 AM EDT
[#10]
The next time it comes up, ask him for advice on what to do to protect your family and be ready. By asking open ended questions you can easily decipher where his head is at based on his answers.

He doesn't need to know where you are at, unless you feel like sharing. Most people tend to enjoy giving advice, and if he's one of us he could very well have a legitimate interest in helping you Years ago when my company asked me to create emergency kits for our employees, many of my colleagues started asking questions and getting lists from me. They wanted to build on what the company had provided for them. That evolved into me putting together resource lists for Red Cross CPR and first aid classes, as well as fire extinguisher training and other salient info. Several people even bought firearms, got their carry permits, and took intro level courses at Sig Academy. A couple of people took the kits I created and duplicated them for their own extended families and friends. That project taught me that many people want to do something proactive, but don't know how or where to start. For us it was couched as storm/power outage prep rather than zombies and all that crap. Personally I don't care what the kits are called or intended for. The point is having one in the first place, knowing how to use it, and starting down the path of self-sufficiency in an emergency.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 10/7/2012 10:51:03 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I do pay attention to that kind of thing, but I wish he had been a bit more concrete about why he thinks we're headed for a collapse.  Theories are like armpits––-most people have a couple.

Perhaps he really doesn't have any insider information.

Maybe he is like a lot of other people that "Just know something is not right"

-or-

maybe he just knows that no country has ever printed it's way out of debt without something bad happening.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top