Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/7/2012 4:39:36 PM EDT
Got a bit winded working with the kid the other day, and brought it up with my family doc.  Long story short, there's a blip in my EKG.  That's what I get for years of little exercise and a poor diet..  I'll know more what can be done in a week or so.  

Now I know what is gonna kill me.  

Ops

Well, not this time.  I have one smaller artery blocked, the 4 large ones are running with a small partial blockage to my right side of the heart.  Time to exercise, started today.  Talk about a near miss...

Ops
Link Posted: 9/7/2012 4:46:40 PM EDT
[#1]
Good luck Ops. I'll be prayin' fer ya.
Link Posted: 9/7/2012 6:27:01 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 9/7/2012 7:17:35 PM EDT
[#3]
some stuff is hereditary.

I'm 47, the peak of fitness and I have a heart condition the reduces me to a 95 year old man if I don't take meds.

working with the doc to get surgery to fix now.

hang in there and get it fixed if you can. Obamacare is just around the corner..
Link Posted: 9/7/2012 7:42:29 PM EDT
[#4]
Ops,

Good on you for talking to your doc.  I preach to my buddies "when in doubt, check it out".  If you get it before "it" happens, you have less damage to overcome.

Follow through and take it seriously.  Your family needs you.

Link Posted: 9/7/2012 7:51:00 PM EDT
[#5]
Hopefully it's nothing too bad, and be thankful they caught it before something happened.  Heart problems suck, my grandpap had around 2-3 heart attacks in his life, and he went for years just fine.  Then he went back to the doc one day, they told him he was either going to have to have some valves replaced, or he could have a heart attack anytime, and he probably wouldn't survive the next one.  Sad thing was he had the surgery, and went down hill after that, never got out of the hospital, and we lost him about 2 months after the surgery.  He was 82, so I guess age had alot to do with it, but heart problems are a hell of a way to go
Link Posted: 9/7/2012 7:52:20 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Not to make light of your situation, but being about the same age,, now you know why I'm an active backpacker and bicyclist.  I've got BP problems and exercise is important, especially when you get to be our age.   Wait until you get the bills for all of those tests.

The way you take off on some of those hikes and bike rides, I wonder if I might have a heart attack following you, and I'm half your age
Link Posted: 9/7/2012 9:30:56 PM EDT
[#7]
Good luck Ops.  You're one step ahead by finding the problem early.
Link Posted: 9/8/2012 1:15:18 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Got a bit winded working with the kid the other day, and brought it up with my family doc.  Long story short, there's a blip in my EKG.  That's what I get for years of little exercise and a poor diet..  I'll know more what can be done in a week or so.  

Ops

Describe a blip. There is no such thing as a perfect EKG, everyone is slightly different. If its something as simple as a PVC, know that some people naturally throw a PVC every couple of beats. If getting winded is a new thing for ya, sure it can be something serious, but you could just be getting a little older.

If you have a copy of the EKG, post it up if you'd like.
Link Posted: 9/8/2012 1:59:28 AM EDT
[#9]
Just go on livin'.  I've had heart issues for a bit over 30 years, some pretty serious, including a heart attack that I didn't even recognize as such, and my heart built new paths around the blockage (google angiogenesis).  But so far - knock on wood - I'm still here, still supporting my family, hauling kids to school functions... I'm probably not going to run any marathons, but I'm still preparing to be around for a long time.  Recognizing that there's a possibility that might not be the case, though, has given me incentive to help my wife and kids become as self-reliant as possible and not totally dependent on me. In a way, my weakness has made us all stronger.

ETA:  this is NOT a recommendation to ignore medical treatment!  I see a cardiologist regularly and take meds daily.
Link Posted: 9/8/2012 2:27:03 AM EDT
[#10]
There is no such thing as a perfect EKG, everyone is slightly different.

My doc prepped me for an echo cardiogram (came back OK though). The test strip came back saying soemthing like "sinister 5% arteormumbojumbo..." I asked the doc what does it mean, she said my heart is actually tipped just slightly left of normal. I replied, "I always thought of myself as being a conservative..." She laughed.
Link Posted: 9/8/2012 4:31:09 AM EDT
[#11]
Well, it's most likely not too late. Most people can make an incredible turnaround in your level of health and turn back the clock quite a few years with diet, supplementation, and a sensible exercise program.
Link Posted: 9/8/2012 4:45:26 AM EDT
[#12]
I'm in the same boat right now.  Was on the exercise bike a couple weeks ago (had started riding it a couple weeks prior), and looked down to see that my heart rate had jumped from 140 to 200, then got dizzy and a little tingly particularly in my feet, but didn't have any chest pains, and recovered quickly...didn't feel that great the rest of the day, though.  But for all I knew the monitor had malfunctioned, and the dizziness was me having a bit of a panic attack.

Next morning, I decided to try it again, but went REALLY easy (like walking speed, no resistance).  After about 8 minutes, I watched my heart rate climb from 108 to 209 in about a 10 second period, and could feel what could only be described as a head rush, except over my whole body, emanating from my torso to my extremities, as the rate increased.  It stayed up there for awhile, and I was really chilled for about 4 hours, then felt kinda blah for a coule days.

I didn't want to go to the ER (went through that exercise a few years ago and after 2 days in the cardiac unit the heart checked out fine, except for some PVCs).  I got into my doc last Friday, blood pressure was high and there were a bunch of PACs on the EKG.  Bloodwork only showed high cholesterol.  So, I'll be running a Holter monitor for a day next week.  Yippee.

Now that they asked all the questions, and it's been over a year since I quit smoking, I'm noticing how I get easily winded and can feel my heart beating pretty heavy...I hate the paranoia.  But, we'll get through it Ops.
Link Posted: 9/8/2012 5:19:09 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 9/8/2012 6:33:22 AM EDT
[#14]
Talk it over with your doc, but I have it on good authority that cayenne pepper is extremely good for your heart. Get used to the heat and us it on your meals in place of black pepper. Local old time doctor I know told me he has stopped 3 heart attacks and 4 strokes in progress back in the day by giving the patients a teaspoon of cayenne in a cup of warm water.

That doctor is a very smart man, and I now take it every day in pill form, and I keep it in my BOB med kit in small quantities.
Link Posted: 9/8/2012 11:01:32 AM EDT
[#15]
The last few months, my wife has been complaining about “minor” chest pains in the AM, and general fatigue. She is petite and while her diet isn't the best, she eats like a bird and her lipids are always nominal. She smokes and is sedentary. A few weeks ago while I was headed off to work, she looked feverish.

Her Doc gave her something for acid reflux, Nitro, and scheduled an appt with the Cardiologist a week later. Her treadmill/echocardiogram was terminated early, and was scheduled for a Coronary catheter. The catheter showed 80% blockage, and a stent was inserted. The Doc said that without attention, she could have suffered a mild heart attack.....

Given her history, the culprit points to the evil cancer sticks and she has quit cold-turkey for 12 days .
She is taking a statin, blood thinners, and low dose 81mg aspirin. I got her some walking shoes and hopefully she will eat healthier.

I am not a medical professional, but I think that it is better to be safe than sorry. Follow up, and maybe I might even incorporate the aspirin into my own regime.

Best wishes
Link Posted: 9/8/2012 3:06:06 PM EDT
[#16]
I had an "abnormal" EKG one time and the doctor asked if I'd been drinking a lot of coffee. Nope, no coffee but caffeinated soda. Also asked if I'd taken Pseudofed in the last couple of days. I'd had allergy problems for about a week running and had started taking the stuff a couple of days before. He claimed that between the caffeine and the pseudofed that it was little wonder that my sinus rhythm was messed up. After drying out a few days, I came back and they did the test again. No problem, all is well.

Anecdotes aside, it's something to get checked out, for sure.
Link Posted: 9/9/2012 12:26:08 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I had an "abnormal" EKG one time and the doctor asked if I'd been drinking a lot of coffee. Nope, no coffee but caffeinated soda. Also asked if I'd taken Pseudofed in the last couple of days. I'd had allergy problems for about a week running and had started taking the stuff a couple of days before. He claimed that between the caffeine and the pseudofed that it was little wonder that my sinus rhythm was messed up. After drying out a few days, I came back and they did the test again. No problem, all is well.

Anecdotes aside, it's something to get checked out, for sure.

Sounds like you had sinusitis.
Link Posted: 9/9/2012 1:39:34 AM EDT
[#18]
I don't know how old you are, or what particular unhealthy life style choices you have made.
I seem to remember you had a back or shoulder injury, that you may have to work around - could be someone else though.

Hopefully I can give you some encouragement - my neighbor had triple bypass surgery in June after feeling winded like you describe.
He was up and outside in two weeks walking a few times around his house.
He is now doing most of his previous activities, which were fairly vigorous for a man about 60 years old - cutting firewood, building solar collectors, working with farm machinery, and the like.'
He has gotten strong enough that he plans to get a gym membership to be able to fully regain his chest and upper body strength.

See the doc, you don't know when or how your time will be up.  You could die tomorrow in a car wreck caused entirely by someone else.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 9/9/2012 3:27:39 AM EDT
[#19]
Ops, good thing you got it adressed now. These days with good care you can keep it under control and have a long active life with minimum trouble.
FerFAL
Link Posted: 9/9/2012 5:12:55 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Ops

Describe a blip. There is no such thing as a perfect EKG, everyone is slightly different. If its something as simple as a PVC, know that some people naturally throw a PVC every couple of beats. If getting winded is a new thing for ya, sure it can be something serious, but you could just be getting a little older.

Sure there is... it's called sinus rhythm.  I'm guessing his blip is LVH or some T-wave changes.  

Well you can be dead and still show a sinus rhythm

Link Posted: 9/9/2012 7:43:05 PM EDT
[#21]
i too  have had heart problems. a by pass several years ago.
i have built up about a month of  extra meds for blood preasure
meds. does any no od nature erbs or vitaimins the can lower
blood preasue. i have a fear of running out.
Link Posted: 9/10/2012 5:07:23 AM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 9/10/2012 2:12:01 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Ops

Sure there is... it's called sinus rhythm.  I'm guessing his blip is LVH or some T-wave changes.  

Well you can be dead and still show a sinus rhythm

Sure, if you mean brain dead on pressors and a ventilator.  

No, I mean just good old fashion dead. No pulse, no breathing, and still showing a sinus rhythm.  Firefighter503 stated that there is no perfect EKG, and he is correct.  Normal does not equal perfect, and abnormal does not mean there is a problem.

Link Posted: 9/10/2012 9:57:55 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 9/25/2012 2:23:55 PM EDT
[#25]
UPDATE:

Thanks to the insurance company, I got downgraded to a stress EKG.  I ran out of breath before I could get my heart rate up over 140 (I hit 138).  Still had an imperfect EKG and my BP hit 200/110?  Catheter next..

This still sounds like insufficient lung capacity to me.   Man I wish I know more about this.

Ops
Link Posted: 9/25/2012 2:28:40 PM EDT
[#26]
Prayers inbound.
Link Posted: 9/25/2012 2:41:40 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
UPDATE:

Thanks to the insurance company, I got downgraded to a stress EKG.  I ran out of breath before I could get my heart rate up over 140 (I hit 138).  Still had an imperfect EKG and my BP hit 200/110?  Catheter next..

This still sounds like insufficient lung capacity to me.   Man I wish I know more about this.

Ops

Maybe, but heart is more important. And it's pretty amazing how short of breath you'll get with a screwed up heart.  If you can't pump the blood, all the oxygen in the world isn't going to help ....
Link Posted: 9/25/2012 6:09:55 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 9/25/2012 6:43:13 PM EDT
[#29]
I just had heart surgery to correct a similar issue.
I was born with tetrology of fallot. (you can google it, i wont explain.)
Bottom line was this, my lips were often blue-ish, my capillary refill was bad often blue,
I had no 'reserve tank' so If I did something strenuous it would tire me and take forever to recover.
My Right Ventrical output was terrible. The valve was very narrow and was not
allowing much blood flow at all (20% output was it!!) My left lung was getting almost no blood and
my right lung was doing most of the work.
You should probably have an Echo done instead ofan EKG. They can see your blood flow etc from your heart.
For me they had to reconstruct the right side of my heart and they put in a valve from a cow. I have and still
have an enlarged heart from it all. Very large. Basically my heart would pump but instead of pushing the blood
out the pressure would push on the walls of my heart stretching and thinning them. I doubt yours is this severe
but You never know. The Echo and Xrays were the most telling thing for the doctors. Once they looked at my
echo they said "were looking at surgery..." Once I saw the Xray it put things in perspective for me...
Link Posted: 9/28/2012 2:25:57 PM EDT
[#30]
I wish you the best with it OPs ,keep us updated.

Link Posted: 10/4/2012 4:54:39 PM EDT
[#31]
So, as of 10/4 I should be OK provided I get with the exercise program.  thanks for all the prayers and good wishes, it is appreciated.

Ops
Link Posted: 10/4/2012 5:50:46 PM EDT
[#32]
damn 2 pages and I just see this..........

Ops, Brother you take care of yourself, the wife and kid need you and we would surely miss you here...

Prayers that you stay with the excercise regiment and careful with the prior injuries..

Keep us posted as to progress...

Be safe my Friend.

rustee
Link Posted: 10/5/2012 2:32:38 AM EDT
[#33]
OK so we are skipping the bacon and going for a walk this morning, right?
Link Posted: 10/5/2012 6:00:53 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Yup.  1.3 miles walk with a 60' elevation change.  I'd rather burn out than rust to death..

Ops
Link Posted: 10/5/2012 8:40:35 AM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 10/5/2012 9:38:54 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yup.  1.3 miles walk with a 60' elevation change.  I'd rather burn out than rust to death..

Ops

Good job, I've done some considerable health improvements the last 2 years and can say it's worth the effort. I keep a couple dogs and walk the property line daily. Not quite a mile but it's uphill both ways. Dogs pretty much force me to get out. Now if I don't walk I miss it.
Link Posted: 10/5/2012 12:24:34 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Dyspnea (the sensation that you are short of breath) can be caused by lots of things.  It's a result of your body perceiving that tissues aren't getting enough oxygen.  Tissues aren't smart enough to know why they're not getting enough O2, so they make you feel bad/winded so you'll decide to stop what you're doing and reduce overall metabolic load.

It can be lung problems leading to difficulty getting enough oxygen in the blood (and CO2 out).

It can be cardiac problems leading to inadequate pumping of blood - normal lungs and gas exchange, but the heart isn't moving O2-rich blood to where it needs to be efficiently enough.

It can even be metabolic problems like anemia (not enough red blood cells to carry the oxygen around).  Had a 22 year old Marine come in to see me one day with just the complaint of being exhausted and winded with slight activity.  Perfect heart, perfect lungs ... it was the leukemia and resulting profound anemia that made him feel short of breath.

That's why basic labs and a good cardiac eval should be on the short list of any workup for shortness of breath.

Sounds like they did the right things and have you on track.  Good luck!  :)
Link Posted: 10/5/2012 2:28:37 PM EDT
[#38]
That's great OPS!  Sounds like you'll have it under control in no time.

Unfortunately I was given an event monitor in Wednesday, that will be my new best friend until Nov 2nd. And, Monday I get to stress test and echo cardiogram.  I've got all kinds of abnormal rhythm stuff going on.  yippee.
Link Posted: 10/5/2012 2:33:28 PM EDT
[#39]
Thanks Ops,

Posts like this remind guys like myself (late 30's) to look after our health and get things checked out when they don't seem right.

Little reminders never hurt.

ETA: Well wishes to getting back to 100%
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top