Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/4/2012 4:06:42 AM EDT
Picked up a small window air conditioner for emergency cooling in a power outage scenario.  My twin EU2000's wouldn't be able to operate our whole house heat pump / a/c.  But to cool one room downstairs, this should work fine.  Kill-A-Watt shows an easy power draw of 70w on start up that ramps up to 500w on max cooling. New price at Amazon $160.  Garage sale price $25.

Frigidaire FRA054XT7 5,000 BTU Window-Mounted Mini Room Air Conditioner

ETA:  Rechecked power draw on start up.  With cooling set to max:  414w initial then reducing to 330w and then a slow ramp up to 560w over ten minutes.
Link Posted: 7/4/2012 4:24:25 AM EDT
[#1]
For 25 bucks....great deal.

How often does the power go out in your area?
Link Posted: 7/4/2012 4:35:00 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
For 25 bucks....great deal.

How often does the power go out in your area?

Not very often in the Indy area.  Since I bought my EU2000's and installed a transfer switch, 19 months ago, zero power outages.  
Link Posted: 7/4/2012 6:10:50 AM EDT
[#3]

I've got a 5k BTU unit in my office window for the exact same reason. I may not be able to cool-down the whole house, but at least one room will be cool enough for sleeping.

Your starting power draw sounds pretty low. I would have expected a surge of 50% or better over normal running power as the compressor starts-up.
Link Posted: 7/4/2012 6:23:52 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Your starting power draw sounds pretty low. I would have expected a surge of 50% or better over normal running power as the compressor starts-up.

I'll recheck this...it does sound low.

ETA:  Rechecked power draw on start up. With cooling set to max: 414w initial then reducing to 330w and then a slow ramp up to 560w over ten minutes.  Edited in original post, also.
Link Posted: 7/4/2012 7:24:47 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 7/4/2012 4:30:29 PM EDT
[#6]
Those near  Target stores, for the last few years I've seen the last few window A/Cs on clearance for 75% off in late September to mid October; two years ago brand new units were going for $37.50; three or four years ago some $99 units were marked down to $25.  Granted those are the cheapest most basic units.  

I picked up the last portable unit for $129 (down from $399 original).  I still kick myself over not grabbing the $38 units even though I can't use them here (wrong kind of windows).  They'd sell like hotcakes now!

Link Posted: 7/4/2012 4:34:16 PM EDT
[#7]
AWESOME score!

I have two of those, the 6000 BTU and the 8000 BTU.
The EU2000i will run either one no problem-o

(I don't know if it will run both at the same time -it would be close)

The 5000BTU unit should leave plenty of power to spare left over for lights, ceiling fan, etc...

Link Posted: 7/6/2012 12:37:38 PM EDT
[#8]
Score!!...great idea
Link Posted: 7/6/2012 1:34:11 PM EDT
[#9]
I was pouring some concrete last weekend to replace a patio and I had to disconnect the outside AC unit to get it done.  We used that exact window unit in the bedroom to get through the weekend.  The first afternoon I even installed it in the living room which is open to other areas and well over 800sqft and it took it down a few degrees.  In just the bedroom it took it from 83 down to 73 in thirty minutes, it was over 100 outside.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top