Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/15/2012 5:36:54 PM EDT
Link Posted: 2/15/2012 7:07:06 PM EDT
[#1]
What type of vehical are you going to use it on.
Link Posted: 2/15/2012 7:52:56 PM EDT
[#2]
I'd say get a small Sealed Optima or Oddessy battery, a decent Vector small 10 amp charger, a small battery box, and call it a day.

You should already be carrying jump cables and having a shorter set just for the battery makes a lot of sense.

You should also have a separate inverter.

[All your eggs in one basket, etc, etc]

If you are really remote, then a real small genny with accessories to charge [not the pitiful 6 or 8 amps 12 vdc the genny provides, altho useful if you've got nothing else] could be useful and what we do sometimes.

The cheap jump packs with the kitchen sink integrated into them are OK most of the time too, especially for Sheeple who don't know beans.

Then there are the $$$$$$$ jump packs for folks who don't know any better and you can put together a better one much less expensively.

Link Posted: 2/15/2012 7:58:15 PM EDT
[#3]
Another option to consider is a flooded or sealed group 51 or 51R battery. Sams carries them both for $61 IIRC, and I use one of the 51R's on a piece of equipment. I'd much rather have that battery that than a jump box.

Optima makes a group 51 too, but abt $180. Unless you can get a discount a NAPA.

http://www.optimabatteries.com/_media/documents/specs/D51_D51R.pdf

Calling around re regular bats, Interstate want's ~$110, Napa an arm and a leg and Batteries-Whatever want's abt $90 with less CCA and no telling how long it's been sitting on the shelf.  AutoZone, et al are similarly over-priced.

The flooded one I have doesn't seem to leak when tipped and I can replace it every 3 years w/out breaking the bank.

They are much more compact than the common group 24 or similar batteries and pack a decent punch. Close to 500 CCA IIRC.

Now if you are talking diesel or a larger hard to crank engine or low temperatures, you need to look for a much heavier duty starting system.

Link Posted: 2/16/2012 5:56:34 AM EDT
[#4]
My brother has one he uses on the farm.  It is heavy, and he can jump equipment with it.  It can be used as a 12 or 24 volt box.  I will find out the brand today and post it tonight.

OK....His is made by Clore Automotive......Truck Pac.  After reading a little about them online, it may not be the best of choices as far as a company goes, but so far it is doing fine for my brother.
Link Posted: 2/16/2012 8:33:46 AM EDT
[#5]
Buy once and cry once. Avoid the cheapO junk boxes they usually have sitting on the counter in autoparts stores even if the price is tempting. They might jump a honda but other than that they are useless.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top