Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 2/11/2012 5:30:33 PM EDT
Aleady been prepping a while but still have less than 1700 rounds of rifle ammo. I would like to add a few thousand more rounds but dont have the cash for brass. Would you guys add a few thousand wolf rounds to stash or a few hundred more brass?
Link Posted: 2/11/2012 5:43:23 PM EDT
[#1]
If your rifle feeds Wolf fine, then go for it.
Link Posted: 2/11/2012 5:51:08 PM EDT
[#2]
If your gun runs wolf, shoot it, store it, go for it.

Link Posted: 2/11/2012 5:51:26 PM EDT
[#3]
Quantity over quality as long as it goes bang and will shoot 3 or 4 moa.
Link Posted: 2/11/2012 5:54:51 PM EDT
[#4]
I lucked into a large quantity of S&B steel cased ammo at a VERY attractive price.  I much prefer brass cased, but I figured this was cheap and great for storage.  I have no hesistation setting this aside for longer term,  My thinking?:  Steel cased is much better than no case at all....
Link Posted: 2/11/2012 6:05:37 PM EDT
[#5]
Just store it right in a dry place without a lot of humidity, and you should be good to go.
Link Posted: 2/11/2012 6:29:29 PM EDT
[#6]
Another option might be Brown or Silver Bear.  It's steel cased too, but a little higher powered.  I think Molon did a test comparing the two.  

It might be a tiny bit more expensive, but still substantially less than brass.

I personally have shot some Brown Bear and like it, especially for the price.
Link Posted: 2/12/2012 6:27:30 AM EDT
[#7]
I'd pinch the pennies until I could afford the brass. Or just buy in smaller quantities. 100 rounds a week for one year is quite a bit of ammo, and you wont really feel that "dent" in your wallet.

Thats just me though, you gotta do what works for you. Im a quality over quantity guy, doesn't matter how much you got if they don't work when its time.
Link Posted: 2/12/2012 6:39:06 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Aleady been prepping a while but still have less than 1700 rounds of rifle ammo. I would like to add a few thousand more rounds but dont have the cash for brass. Would you guys add a few thousand wolf rounds to stash or a few hundred more brass?

It is better to have any ammunition than no ammunition.
Link Posted: 2/12/2012 7:11:13 AM EDT
[#9]
Just my opinion but i would save a bit and buy m-193 brass case. It does hit harder and and isn't that much more expensive.

Jim
Link Posted: 2/12/2012 8:43:47 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Just store it right in a dry place without a lot of humidity, and you should be good to go.

This is extremely important with polymer coated wolf.  That is the worst coating for long term storage and environmental protection.  

Personally I would spent a few more bucks and get laquer or zinc coated bear ammo.
Link Posted: 2/12/2012 8:47:53 AM EDT
[#11]
I've had good luck with brown/silver bear.  Of course, recently I've had good luck with Wolf MC as well.  My "important" ammo is all M193 and M855.  But for practice I have a good 5-6k of steel case.
Link Posted: 2/12/2012 9:58:19 AM EDT
[#12]
I have a small private range where my friends shoot quite a bit of ammo. I periodically sort thru the brass bucket & noticed that the zinc plated stuff holds up MUCH better than other steel case coatings. There is a copper-washed coating that lasts much better too. In less that a week, the steel Wolf stuff rusts up, but I'm in Florida.

In the cases of Wolf, there is usually a couple of yellowish, or greenish sheets of plastic that keep corrosion down. If you move the ammo to another container or ammo can, be sure to move these sheets too.

The biggest problem I see with steel cased ammo is that it is hard to protect it from corrosion in a magazine. Eventually you have to put it in a mag. If you are loading & shooting(targets), that's fine, but loading & leaving(HD), it rusts up very quickly for me.
Link Posted: 2/12/2012 10:40:23 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I lucked into a large quantity of S&B steel cased ammo at a VERY attractive price.  I much prefer brass cased, but I figured this was cheap and great for storage.  I have no hesistation setting this aside for longer term,  My thinking?:  Steel cased is much better than no case at all....

I think you meant SB (Silver Bear) and not S&B (Sellier & Bellot).  S&B doesn't make any steel case to my knowledge.  As far as Brown Bear/ Silver Bear ammo goes, It's good stuff.  I would rank it much better than Wolf overall.  The 62g HP .223 rounds actually fragment fairly consistently too.....  I picked up several cases back when it was super cheap.

Link Posted: 2/13/2012 10:01:39 AM EDT
[#14]
I like Wolf and brown bear 62grn stuff, I have a few around the house.
Link Posted: 2/13/2012 10:12:09 AM EDT
[#15]
From the tales of woe you hear around here about steel cased ammo, you would think that is why we won the cold war.

Steel cased stuff is fine to stick back.

I would definitely have a few hundred rounds of 'premium' ammo for immediate use, but sticking back an extra $100 or so just to have brass cases instead of steel may not be the best use of limited funds.

YMMV.

Link Posted: 2/13/2012 10:12:30 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Only if you have run several hundred rounds through your rifle on a hot day.  Since I have had Wolf sieze in my chamber (Colt and Bushmaster), I wouldn't even recommend it for plinking.
Link Posted: 2/13/2012 10:15:12 AM EDT
[#17]
IMO, it can be a good option for training ammo IF it works and extracts in your rifle.  That laquer and polymer really gunks up my Glock pistols in 9mm though.  

Works well in AKs though!
Link Posted: 2/13/2012 10:50:23 AM EDT
[#18]
I use wolf for training purposes only. I would only long term store a case or two. The rest of my stash is xm193 or m855. I keep a couple cases of premium ammo on hand for more accurate work.
Link Posted: 2/13/2012 11:13:01 AM EDT
[#19]
Its fine, if your gun shoots it, go for it.  I am able to run it in all my ARs so i have some set back along with some good brass.
Link Posted: 2/13/2012 2:59:54 PM EDT
[#20]
I'm supprised not more are saying it is junk...  I shoot quite a bit of it, and have no issues even in my 10.5" SBR.  Recently I had one not chamber fully when I closed the bolt on a fresh mag.  The neck was a few thousanths to long.  That was the first issue I had in a few thousand rounds.  On the other hand, I had a 16" Bushmaster that would not reliably feed or cycle 62gr Wolf, but the 55gr stuff ran fine.  I don't have that gun anymore.

Jk
Link Posted: 2/13/2012 3:13:06 PM EDT
[#21]
If you like it and that's what you can afford...stack it deep. I, like most of the fellow preppers here, have shot about every kind of bullet make you can find. For me, when it comes to steel cased cartridges, I like Silver Bear because it is zinc coated and runs better in more guns than Wolf steel cased. I've seen some AR's turn into single shots shooting Wolf ammo.
Link Posted: 2/13/2012 4:29:58 PM EDT
[#22]
I keep 2 cases of on hand
Link Posted: 2/13/2012 5:59:35 PM EDT
[#23]
If it works in your rifle, go for it.  Just make sure it works in your rifle, 200 rounds slowfire is not 200 rounds rapid fire.  For training, fo gor it, but when you really need it, for that 2K of wolf, you could have 1300 rounds of M193.
Link Posted: 2/13/2012 6:00:51 PM EDT
[#24]
Not like it could get worse with age!    I kid. My AR hates wolf.
Link Posted: 2/13/2012 6:31:34 PM EDT
[#25]
Brass only (and I mean good brass) for AR...anything including rusted steel for AK...it will go bang everytime. GTGs are 1911 in 45cal, 12 ga shotgun, 10/22 and AK in 7.62(depends on situation but not in that order). I'll drag the AR and ammo with me if I have time/means, if not the neighbor gets it when I leave. My brothers/sisters/BILs/their kids and my son all have each so ammo will be plentiful when we get to BOL. We only buy what we alreay have.
Link Posted: 2/13/2012 6:39:07 PM EDT
[#26]

Never used the stuff, and don't plan to...

Link Posted: 2/13/2012 6:45:18 PM EDT
[#27]
My RRA feeds wolf with no issues. Actually, it will eat anything I put through it. So I keep my options open.
Sure, I'd like to have 20k of M855, but that's not realistic for me. The only issue I have is that steel cased
ammo does not like my polymer mags. I cannot get more than 25 rounds in a pmag or thermold magazine
and get the steel ammo to feed into the chamber. However, I can put 30 in USGI or C-product magazines
and feed steel with no issues.
Link Posted: 2/13/2012 6:52:56 PM EDT
[#28]

Like a previous posted said, I'd rather have 1300 rounds of Fed XM193 than 2K wolf.  But, I understand financial constraints...
Link Posted: 2/13/2012 7:25:16 PM EDT
[#29]
My guns function with Wolf just fine so for me it wouldn't be an issue, UNLESS I didn't have at least a load out of defensive ammo. If you feel comfortable with your shtf stash then go for it.

To put things into perspective, as a LEO I had a guy shoot at us one night with a .22 rifle. I identified it as a .22 rifle by sound right away but the thought of what brand or type of ammo was zinging around never entered into my thought process. The only thing I thought about was cover.

I don't plan on getting into a whole lot of gunfights, but I do plan on doing a lot of training.

BT
Link Posted: 2/13/2012 7:41:41 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

I'm not a prepper, but if I were, I would go with quantity beats quality. I don't believe all the BS about "Wolf" ammo. I've used it for years, in several different calibers, and never had problem. No doubt some guns won't digest it as well others, but if I couldnt' count on my MBR/MSR eating anything and everything under the sun, I'd be ditching it for a piece that could in a SHTF scenario. Same reason I like Zippo lighters....if it burns, you can soak a Zippo in it and count on fire.

That being said, aside from the barterable asset aspect of stockpiles of ammo, I doubt most would survive extended firefight engagements where much over a standard battle load out would be expended. Not saying it wouldn't be impossible, just improbable. If I were to find myself in that situation, I'd be prone to count myself lucky, and re-evaluate my tactics. The object of preservation is to stay out of the fray.

JMHO.

Link Posted: 2/13/2012 9:00:57 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm not a prepper, but if I were, I would go with quantity beats quality. I don't believe all the BS about "Wolf" ammo. I've used it for years, in several different calibers, and never had problem. No doubt some guns won't digest it as well others, but if I couldnt' count on my MBR/MSR eating anything and everything under the sun, I'd be ditching it for a piece that could in a SHTF scenario. Same reason I like Zippo lighters....if it burns, you can soak a Zippo in it and count on fire.

That being said, aside from the barterable asset aspect of stockpiles of ammo, I doubt most would survive extended firefight engagements where much over a standard battle load out would be expended. Not saying it wouldn't be impossible, just improbable. If I were to find myself in that situation, I'd be prone to count myself lucky, and re-evaluate my tactics. The object of preservation is to stay out of the fray.

JMHO.

I agree with you completely.  But we prep for everything, including ammo shortages.  Remember 2008-09?  That sucked.  I had very little put back and paid out the ass when I found ammo in stock.  I now reload and have a decent stock put away, but peak ammo still scares me.  
Link Posted: 2/13/2012 9:32:34 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Quoted:

This is extremely important with polymer coated wolf. That is the worst coating for long term storage and environmental protection.

Personally I would spent a few more bucks and get laquer or zinc coated bear ammo.

I agree!
Link Posted: 2/14/2012 12:30:03 AM EDT
[#33]
I shoot a lot of the Bear ammo. The steel cases have never caused any malfuntions in my guns. And if I have to use it for TEOTWAWKI then the fact that I buy soft point  or hollow point  Bear ammo means that I could use it for self defense too. And there is something t be said for quanity here. If your guns feed it then buy it cheap and stack it deep so when the next ammo shortage comes along you wont get caught with your pants down. I do own quality ammo for self defense but I have had such good luck with the Silver Bear ammo that I am willing to use it for self defense as well .  And I have never noticed any rust on any of my cases but I live in the desert.
Link Posted: 2/14/2012 3:23:39 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Like a previous posted said, I'd rather have 1300 rounds of Fed XM193 than 2K wolf.  But, I understand financial constraints...

I'd rather have both. Cheap training. All my rifles like wolf, but I am not trusting my life or my families lives to it.
Link Posted: 2/14/2012 5:10:03 AM EDT
[#35]
I may be the biggest Wolf fanboi there is, but for putting ammo back for a rainy day I would never choose Wolf.

Use a three level approach:

Level 1: A small amount of high quality self defense ammo.  I bought a 200-round case of 75gr TAP .223 for about $180 shipped.  It's what lives in my rifle's mag well and in my chest rig.  Odds are, even in a situation where I needed my rifle and chest rig it would be enough ammo.

Level 2: A medium amount of good ammo.  I bought a 1200-round case of IMI855 and packed it onto strippers and into 30cal ammo cans.  Three cans, each with 360 rounds, three 30-round pmags, a spoon, and desiccant.  I don't expect to live through enough firefights to use up 360x3+200=1280 rounds of ammo.

Level 3: Wolf for training.  As much as you can afford.
You don't need SOOO much shtf ammo that you need to sacrifice and buy the cheap stuff.
Link Posted: 2/14/2012 6:29:29 AM EDT
[#36]
get it in the Spam Can and your storage worries will be few. (baring a flood where the can is underwater for weeks.)
Link Posted: 2/14/2012 11:17:03 AM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

My RRA feeds wolf with no issues. Actually, it will eat anything I put through it. So I keep my options open.

Sure, I'd like to have 20k of M855, but that's not realistic for me. The only issue I have is that steel cased

ammo does not like my polymer mags. I cannot get more than 25 rounds in a pmag or thermold magazine

and get the steel ammo to feed into the chamber. However, I can put 30 in USGI or C-product magazines

What?

I have PMags and have had pre-94 Themolds (sold them to a NY'er).  Both took 30 rounds of polymer Wolf .223.  My AUG magazines also take 30 (or 42) rounds of polymer Wolf.

Link Posted: 2/14/2012 11:25:57 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I think you meant SB (Silver Bear) and not S&B (Sellier & Bellot).  S&B doesn't make any steel case to my knowledge.  As far as Brown Bear/ Silver Bear ammo goes, It's good stuff.  I would rank it much better than Wolf overall.  The 62g HP .223 rounds actually fragment fairly consistently too.....  I picked up several cases back when it was super cheap.

CTD used to carry Sellier & Bellot steel-cased ammo in 140rd boxes in the late 90's.  I thought it was decent stuff.

Link Posted: 2/14/2012 11:26:29 AM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

I may be the biggest Wolf fanboi there is, but for putting ammo back for a rainy day I would never choose Wolf.

Use a three level approach:

Level 1: A small amount of high quality self defense ammo. I bought a 200-round case of 75gr TAP .223 for about $180 shipped. It's what lives in my rifle's mag well and in my chest rig. Odds are, even in a situation where I needed my rifle and chest rig it would be enough ammo.

Level 2: A medium amount of good ammo. I bought a 1200-round case of IMI855 and packed it onto strippers and into 30cal ammo cans. Three cans, each with 360 rounds, three 30-round pmags, a spoon, and desiccant. I don't expect to live through enough firefights to use up 360x3+200=1280 rounds of ammo.

Level 3: Wolf for training. As much as you can afford.
You don't need SOOO much shtf ammo that you need to sacrifice and buy the cheap stuff.

I don't just put aside ammo for myself.  Unlike the nonsense in novels like The Earth Abides or The Road, I want my children's children to have arms and ammunition.

Five-or-six years after TEOTWAWKI, people are going to be glad to have any ammunition.  Reloads with match-head primers, black-powder and cast lead bullets beat sharp sticks.

Whether or not I live through the first 1, 2, or 30 firefights I want my family and my kids to live through the next 1, 2, or 30 firefights.

Link Posted: 2/14/2012 1:09:10 PM EDT
[#40]
I have both steel cased and brass cased ammo. I will use the brass cased for my reliable ammo and the steel is for cheap training and reserve ammo. I have about 1500 steel and only 400 brass. I plan to get more of each but am looking at getting some silver bear to try out. I don't want to have only one kind but I do want to have both so that I can have options. My Del-ton shoots steel like a dream and is pretty darn accurate with steel (Tulammo) surprisingly. I want to buy another 1000 of brass soon before the panic starts and before prices shoot up and if funds allow Ill buy some more steel.
Link Posted: 2/14/2012 3:37:58 PM EDT
[#41]
If your gun does ok with it use it.

All of my guns shoot wolf just fine, I have both put up as well.
Link Posted: 2/14/2012 9:46:57 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

Quoted:

What?

I have PMags and have had pre-94 Themolds (sold them to a NY'er).  Both took 30 rounds of polymer Wolf .223.  My AUG magazines also take 30 (or 42) rounds of polymer Wolf.

Seriously, more than 25 rounds of Wolf steel ammo and I can pull the BCG to rear and it will not chamber. BCG moves the cartridge about half way out of the mag and does not fully close.
It just stops. Put brass in and no trouble. Use USGI/C-products and no issues with steel. It may have been just the Thermold or Tapco mags. I'll try my Pmags next time I get to the range.
Link Posted: 2/14/2012 10:04:31 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
I use wolf for training purposes only. I would only long term store a case or two. The rest of my stash is xm193 or m855. I keep a couple cases of premium ammo on hand for more accurate work.

This...Shoot several boxes to be sure your gun likes it, then stock up on some
Link Posted: 2/14/2012 11:09:25 PM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 2/14/2012 11:39:40 PM EDT
[#45]
Why not look at PMC Bronze? For just a few $ more per case you can get some brass cased ammo that works perfectly fine in almost anything. It is still very inexpensive, almost as much so as Wolf, but much better functioning. I use the PMC stuff almost exclusively for bulk training...
Link Posted: 2/15/2012 12:32:12 AM EDT
[#46]
Wolf is fine if it works in your rifle. Works in all mine. I've got a few rounds of it for cheap trigger time.
Link Posted: 2/15/2012 2:30:55 AM EDT
[#47]
Link Posted: 2/15/2012 4:42:35 AM EDT
[#48]
Wolf is fine for AK's. Anything else stock brass.

If you can't afford brass shoot the Wolf stuff now and store brass.

Otherwise you need to get into reloading.

Link Posted: 2/15/2012 8:29:28 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Wolf is fine for AK's. Anything else stock brass.

If you can't afford brass shoot the Wolf stuff now and store brass.

Otherwise you need to get into reloading.

I am going to throw a wrench in here. But, what about Hornady Steel Match ammo then?
Link Posted: 2/15/2012 8:39:51 AM EDT
[#50]
It bears repeating:  Unless you have personally experienced Wolf or any other ammo in your rifles and pistols, be aware that it may not function properly.  If you stock Wolf, use it.  I bought 3k rounds of Wolf 9mm for a Rob Pincus class and found that my Glock 19 would not function reliably without being detail stripped every 350-500 rounds.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top