Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/18/2012 9:01:36 PM EDT
I ordered some #10 cans of dehydrated food from beprepared.com and they were shipped in cardboard boxes, 6 cans to a box. Anyway, I really like the size of these boxes as they stack very well and given their size don't get to heavy. Over time I have accumulated 8 or ten of these boxes.  I would like to move my entire long term food storage into boxes like these. The only problem, I can't find them anywhere in town or on the interwebs. There is some websites where I can order custom boxes but they are WAY to expensive.
So my question for the hive mind is, where can I get these boxes? The measure 18.5" x 12.5" x 7.5" and can hold 6 #10 cans perfectly.

ETA: I vaguely recall a photo someone posted on this forum a long time ago with an entire wall stacked with boxes like these, but mostly white in color.

Link Posted: 1/18/2012 10:26:32 PM EDT
[#1]
I used to get them from USA Emergency Supply, but don't see them there now. Call them, or maybe Emergency Essentials, would be your best bet.
Link Posted: 1/18/2012 10:53:23 PM EDT
[#2]
Try uline.com,  I do  not know how to make it hot.  But they are a commercial box supplier, and will ship you flats of boxes in almost any size you can think of.  I got a hundred of the 12 (regular sized) can boxes to store all the canned goods I store.  I glue a label from one of the cans on the front of the box and the write the best by date in marker.  The boxes store neatly and the labels and dates make it easy for me to rotate stock.  The more you buy, the lower the price.

Or you could check with the LDS in your area.  They may be willing to sell you just the boxes.

stasiman
Link Posted: 1/18/2012 11:15:18 PM EDT
[#3]
I have bought them from my local LDS cannery. Great folks, can't recommend them enough.
Link Posted: 1/19/2012 3:01:56 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I have bought them from my local LDS cannery. Great folks, can't recommend them enough.

This

Link Posted: 1/19/2012 5:50:21 AM EDT
[#5]
I am guessing you mean this photo:

I love storing stuff in #10 cans.

The wheat and the oat boxes all came from the LDS.
The Morning Moos and Milk boxes came from Augason Farms.
Above the Red Wheat are some brown boxes from Emergency Essentials with #10 cans of oat groats.

Best suggestion I can give is try to get some from the local LDS.
Hopefully this is nearby:
MT - Missoula
Phone  (406) 721-3197
Address  6200 Industrial Way
Missoula, Montana 59808  

-or maybe a neighboring state:
Western LDS Canneries

Link Posted: 1/19/2012 6:18:27 AM EDT
[#6]
I found this at Walton Feed
Link Posted: 1/19/2012 9:33:15 AM EDT
[#7]
local hotels and restaurants have LOTS of empty boxes on delivery day..and may will appreciate you're taking them..

knock on the back doors, speak to the chef or kitchenmanager...

CHEF
Link Posted: 1/19/2012 10:30:12 AM EDT
[#8]
Yuo could try the free box bin a local SAMS, Costco or BJ's. I too had need for a few boxes to hold #10 cans. Most of what I found were "flats" or trays that held 6-#10 cans. One on the bottom and one upside-down on top worked out nicely.
Link Posted: 1/19/2012 12:15:57 PM EDT
[#9]
Just an FYI, local Paint stores use 4/1gal can boxes that are approx. 13"x13" with 8" depth.
Link Posted: 1/19/2012 4:45:34 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I am guessing you mean this photo:
http://img18.imageshack.us/img18/7838/boxed.jpg
I love storing stuff in #10 cans.

The wheat and the oat boxes all came from the LDS.
The Morning Moos and Milk boxes came from Augason Farms.
Above the Red Wheat are some brown boxes from Emergency Essentials with #10 cans of oat groats.

Best suggestion I can give is try to get some from the local LDS.
Hopefully this is nearby:
MT - Missoula
Phone  (406) 721-3197
Address  6200 Industrial Way
Missoula, Montana 59808  

-or maybe a neighboring state:
Western LDS Canneries

Are those your preps? If so, wow
Link Posted: 1/19/2012 5:05:08 PM EDT
[#11]
Your local LDS cannery has them for cheap.  Holds 6 #10 cans.
Link Posted: 1/20/2012 6:14:12 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Part of them.
It is surprising how much you can pack in a small amount of space.
That is why the wife and I love the #10 cans and the LDS.

and no, we are not Mormons.

Also thanks to the folks on this forum, my wife is now into canning, so I have started building shelves out in the pantry.

New shelves and our storage prep area/wheat grinder table.
(Wondermill Jr. Deluxe.)
Link Posted: 1/28/2012 7:43:44 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

I just placed an order for 25 boxes. The LDS cannery in Missoula is to far from where I live so I opted for Walton Feed for convenience. Total cost was $46.25 plus $15.27 shipping. I'll update on how it turns out.

Link Posted: 2/2/2012 10:04:43 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I just placed an order for 25 boxes. The LDS cannery in Missoula is to far from where I live so I opted for Walton Feed for convenience. Total cost was $46.25 plus $15.27 shipping. I'll update on how it turns out.

Boxes arrived and are exactly what I wanted. I started moving my food storage over to them. I bought some 3x4 labels that I print the box contents and date on and apply a label to the end and top of the box. They stack great. I ordered another 30 of them.

Link Posted: 2/3/2012 4:03:33 AM EDT
[#15]
how thick are they, decent construction???
Link Posted: 2/3/2012 5:19:07 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Boxes arrived and are exactly what I wanted. I started moving my food storage over to them. I bought some 3x4 labels that I print the box contents and date on and apply a label to the end and top of the box. They stack great. I ordered another 30 of them.  

Glad you got what you wanted.
I did the same thing, printed up the labels with my printer.

Link Posted: 2/3/2012 7:08:56 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Part of them.

Also thanks to the folks on this forum, my wife is now into canning, so I have started building shelves out in the pantry.
http://img835.imageshack.us/img835/8390/canningshelf1.jpg
(Wondermill Jr. Deluxe.)

I see the label rolls.  Do you use the portable canning unit much?  It is amazing how many preps you can put away in the #10 cans.  We have Jasmine rice (our favorite), Basmati rice, and the cake and Jiffy mixes that we can a couple times a year.  I have been tempted to do ammo, but the cannery specifically rquested the portable units only be used for food products, so I try to respect that.
Link Posted: 2/3/2012 7:25:08 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Part of them.

http://img835.imageshack.us/img835/8390/canningshelf1.jpg
(Wondermill Jr. Deluxe.)

I see the label rolls.  Do you use the portable canning unit much?  It is amazing how many preps you can put away in the #10 cans.  We have Jasmine rice (our favorite), Basmati rice, and the cake and Jiffy mixes that we can a couple times a year.  I have been tempted to do ammo, but the cannery specifically rquested the portable units only be used for food products, so I try to respect that.

I have asked about the portable canner at our cannery, but they won't loan it out to non-members.
But we buy Mylars bags and they include the labels with those.
The LDS do not have soft wheat, so I made my own 3"x4" labels on the computer.

However, there is a new couple taking over our local cannery, I am hoping they will let us check out the portable canner.
Link Posted: 2/4/2012 1:17:39 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

how thick are they, decent construction???

I am not a cardboard quality expert but it seems like good construction to me. It isn't super thick cardboard but it isn't thin either. The boxes are brown on the inside and white on the outside. Carrying cardboard boxes makes me itchy but for some reason these don't. Maybe it is because of whatever they used to make the outside white. I have them stacked eight high and they feel plenty stable still.

I wish I had ordered more initially. They get used up quickly which is why I ordered another thirty of them.

I like having my preps in them in case I have to move quickly. They are small enough that they can't get to heavy so moving them quickly should be more an aerobic exercise than a lifting exercise.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top