Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/5/2012 11:19:16 AM EDT
Has anyone read this book?  It was written in 1859 by Captain Randolph Macy of the U.S. Calvary.  It is a complete how-to guide on traveling to California via wagon train.  Looks like it covers everything from choosing a leader to provisions, to picking draft animals and fighting Indians.  He covers every piece of gear to how sugar should be packed to what kind of hat will work best.

I've read a few chapters in the last hour and its really interesting.  His chapters on Stores and Provisions, Clothing and Camp Equipage translate well into modern day survivalism.  Which makes sense I suppose.  If these folks were packing a small wagon to survive for ten months in the wilderness, why wouldn't this same stuff work for us?  The part about Arms is amusing, he discusses why the breech loading rifle is superior to the Hawkins rifle, but he still makes valid points that translate to today.

Its free from Project Gutenberg  http://www.gutenberg.org/files/23066/23066-h/23066-h.htm

He's even got a colorful writing style.

"It is true that if persons choose to pass through Salt Lake City, and the Mormons

happen

to be in an amiable mood, supplies may sometimes be procured from them;
but those who have visited them well know how little reliance is to be
placed upon their hospitality or spirit of accommodation."
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 11:50:27 AM EDT
[#1]
Very cool, thanks for posting the link and the review. I'll be reading it.
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 12:24:00 PM EDT
[#2]
tag for later.
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 12:34:22 PM EDT
[#3]
Awesome book! I actually have two hard copies, reprints from the 1950s.

Thanks for the link though. Now I can loan it out without loaning out my good ones!
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 12:40:41 PM EDT
[#4]
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Randolph_B._Marcy

I've got his book on the Red River Expedition. Very good!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top