Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 1/3/2012 7:21:54 PM EDT
We all heard the Peanut Butter was going to go up due to a bad harvest or some crap.
Anyway, the 2 pack of large JIF jars at Sams used to be $7.50 and I have heard them costing as much as $11 now the the same 2 pack.

I bought wiper blades for the truck the other night and was shocked, even the cheapest blades are $12-24 EACH at the parts stores.

I ended up buying better ones and spent $37 for 2 blades

all sorts of companies are packaging smaller amounts of the same product and charging the same or more. Or like Dawn dish washing liquid, the y have watered down the hell out of that stuff.  You can tell easily it is not the same at it used to be.  To me, thats a price increase.

The days of canned soup or vegatables costing under .50 cents a can are just about gone unless you find on hell of a sale

Taco Bell had a .99 steak burrito on the value menu, that same item is now 1.79

A half gallon of Blue Bell (local premium Ice Cream) $6.79

Link Posted: 1/3/2012 7:33:02 PM EDT
[#1]
It has happened ove the last few years...I use to get a half and half of my coffee that 2 years ago was1.69 a quart...it is now today 3.23 at the same store..thats over 2 years.
Coffee, sugar, flour all kinds of things have gone up in price...yeah its inflation..but yesterday the news  here said that they are doubling the price of lottery tickets for the power ball lottery...it use to be 1 dollar for numbers1 dollar for powerplay... now its 2 dollars for numbers and 2 for power play.
We will all have to tighten up our belts some and watch what we spend $$ alot more in the coming months, because I do think that we are going to see several more things go up in price...Its sucks but, it is what it is.
Link Posted: 1/3/2012 7:38:41 PM EDT
[#2]
Many food items have doubled in the last year or less. Not good.
Link Posted: 1/3/2012 7:45:41 PM EDT
[#3]
Real inflation is surely far higher than the official numbers, but anyone who thinks we're experiencing hyperinflation now doesn't know what the term means.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 1/3/2012 7:50:29 PM EDT
[#4]
I am doing weekly price changes in my retail store. Prices are going up sometimes 30% at a time for some items.

Link Posted: 1/3/2012 7:53:26 PM EDT
[#5]
I simply watch ramen noodle prices.

Before this crap started I could snap them up for 10-15 cents a pack.

Last I checked they were in the 35-cent range.

And that was many months ago.
Link Posted: 1/3/2012 8:49:47 PM EDT
[#6]
Watch the Sam's club brand shit-tickets. The amount of rolls keeps diminishing
with their creative packages, for more money.
Link Posted: 1/3/2012 8:54:30 PM EDT
[#7]
on the bright side, ammo is coming down some...
Link Posted: 1/3/2012 9:09:59 PM EDT
[#8]
Nah, core inflation hasn't risen very much.

I just told the family that we aren't going to eat anything, drive the car or heat the house, and it won't affect our lifestyle at all.  

I bought a car battery the other day at Wally world.  It was for a Subaru, and used to run around $50.  Now it was $85.
Link Posted: 1/3/2012 9:43:09 PM EDT
[#9]
There's a lot i dont buy very often anymore due to prices. Like bacon and hot dogs.

Then again, i pass on a lot of "luxory" foods nowadays that i use to love... Might have something to do with spending $200+ every month on baby formula.
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 12:41:16 AM EDT
[#10]
My local Sams Club sells the rotisserie chickens like they are crack cocaine for portly middle age folks.

Price went from $4.99 to $5.99. Thats 20%.
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 2:25:37 AM EDT
[#11]

Food and fuel, yes

The worst is yet to come

But this is by design, per BO

Link Posted: 1/4/2012 2:41:13 AM EDT
[#12]
Reese Cups are smaller
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 2:48:34 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Reese Cups are smaller

And WAAAAYYY more paraffin than they used to have. I can't stand them anymore because it's like eating a candle.
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 3:44:28 AM EDT
[#14]
Price increase not necessarily hyperinflation.

I believe we are still in deflation and won't see inflation for a while.
However, I do see price increase in many of the commodities.  At the same time, I also see price decrease in many of the commodities.
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 4:11:28 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Real inflation is surely far higher than the official numbers, but anyone who thinks we're experiencing hyperinflation now doesn't know what the term means.

Yet this inflation is different.  Not saying it is hyperinflation, just that it is way beyond what we are used to seeing.
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 4:57:19 AM EDT
[#16]
its funny to see the government insist there is no inflation. the packaging just keeps changing to hide the fact that less costs more. Look at the size of toilet paper rolls.
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 4:57:29 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yet this inflation is different.  Not saying it is hyperinflation, just that it is way beyond what we are used to seeing.

"IMHO" hyperinflation = doubled prices in a week or even less time

this is only the start what we are seeing now
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 5:22:42 AM EDT
[#18]
I'll add this and it may seem a bit contradictory.

I was a young adult when Jimmy Carter was screwing up everything he touched.  THAT was inflation.  It was largely caused by high fuel costs, high interest rates and stupid amounts of .gov spending/printing.

We were experiencing rather low inflation rates from the mid 90's to 2007.  We were not accustom to current rapidly rising prices and it appears exaggerated to us.

One other thing that should be kept in mind are the figures/methods/result .gov provides. They are manipulated to give a desired result.

Nothing this .gov puts forth is truthful.
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 5:38:00 AM EDT
[#19]
when food and fuel costs are not used to calculate the consumer price index
the numbers are nothing but a lie.when my pay increases the same as the CPI and still am going backwards.
just my .02
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 6:09:23 AM EDT
[#20]
Not yet.

What we are seeing now is a planned squeeze play being implemented.
Hyperinflation is historically something that is out of control. This is controlled.
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 6:10:50 AM EDT
[#21]
I'd say the shocker will come when the dollar is ditched for buying and selling of oil on world markets

that will start a true SHFT scenario IMO
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 6:25:16 AM EDT
[#22]
inflation yes, hyper, no. when you get paid friday at 3 and have to immediately spend your check so that you don't lose 20% or more by tomorrow, that is hyper inflation. Not say'n inflation doesn't suck.
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 7:05:33 AM EDT
[#23]
I shop for where I work on a monthly basis buying the exact same items.

I kept note of prices for the last 2 years.  The largest increase was with coffee.

Coffee in January of 2009 was $7.50 a can.  It's high was $14.50 and has come back down do $14.00

Most other items increased about 20%; those that were $5 are now $6...

Link Posted: 1/4/2012 7:36:01 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

QFT

Link Posted: 1/4/2012 7:52:41 AM EDT
[#25]
A couple of weeks ago I was watching the evening news and they had a story about St. Louis Zoo officials increasing their fund raising efforts because the feed bill for feeding all the animals had gone up 60% in the past year. The next day, the November CPI was reported as down 0.1%  and they had revised October's number lower though I don't recall by how much.

So apparently it is only animal food that is going up.
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 8:11:05 AM EDT
[#26]
Commodity prices are rising, including coffee.  Hyper-inflation?  No, I don't think so.
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 8:12:01 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

It has happened ove the last few years...I use to get a half and half of my coffee that 2 years ago was1.69 a quart...it is now today 3.23 at the same store..thats over 2 years.

Coffee, sugar, flour all kinds of things have gone up in price...yeah its inflation..but yesterday the news here said that they are doubling the price of lottery tickets for the power ball lottery...it use to be 1 dollar for numbers1 dollar for powerplay... now its 2 dollars for numbers and 2 for power play.

We will all have to tighten up our belts some and watch what we spend $$ alot more in the coming months, because I do think that we are going to see several more things go up in price...Its sucks but, it is what it is.

This is true but we have not hit the hyper yet!

Link Posted: 1/4/2012 8:14:13 AM EDT
[#28]
There's inflation without a doubt. There's no hyper inflation though thankfully.

The packaging gets smaller because the company filling the package is trying to cut corners, costs, and squeeze the consumer for more $$$.

The price of diesel is going up and isn't going back down. Most of what you've listed is delivered by truck... which runs on diesel. The shipping companies are passing along their increased costs to us.

Link Posted: 1/4/2012 8:40:13 AM EDT
[#29]
I buy meat in bulk from Costco and freeze it. The last time I bought ground beef was 9 months ago or so, and I think I paid $3 something a pound. Went this weekend and it was over $5 a pound. I think I just going to start buying a direct from a rancher.
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 10:28:35 AM EDT
[#30]
NOTHING has doubled in price here.
Gasoline has gone down twice in the last 3 weeks. $4.13 per gallon.
ar15 lowers are back to 50 bucks.
case of 5.56 is  300.
 single family houses are going about half of what they were 3 years ago.
 everything looks rosy from here.....
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 11:12:15 AM EDT
[#31]
small bags of chips have gone from .99 to 1.09
10% increase
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 12:36:33 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

I buy meat in bulk from Costco and freeze it. The last time I bought ground beef was 9 months ago or so, and I think I paid $3 something a pound. Went this weekend and it was over $5 a pound. I think I just going to start buying a direct from a rancher.

the wife found a sale for 80/20 ground at $1.89- limit 10- 3lb packs

that was unusual to say the least

Link Posted: 1/4/2012 1:09:18 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Reese Cups are smaller

And WAAAAYYY more paraffin than they used to have. I can't stand them anymore because it's like eating a candle.

Haven't noticed that since I eat them frozen.
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 2:13:50 PM EDT
[#34]
fasten your seatbelts, were about to hit 88 miles a hour. in this country.
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 2:16:34 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Fully agree with your statement.
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 2:18:56 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Quoted:

QFT

110%

There is stagflation - prices are going up and my paycheck is going down thanks to higher health insurance premiums.

Hyperinflation...no...not even close.

Link Posted: 1/4/2012 3:40:15 PM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 5:05:27 PM EDT
[#38]
SGS shows actual inflation far in excess of the laughable numbers published by the .gov

It's only gonna get worse.

Even the Fed admits to Storms on the Horizon... well over $1 million in liabilities for every American family of four.
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 5:09:47 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
SGS shows actual inflation far in excess of the laughable numbers published by the .gov

ShadowStats. Good post.
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 5:22:20 PM EDT
[#40]
5 Gillette Mach 3 razor cartridges were $13.85 at the store tonight... were they always this much?
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 5:28:13 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
I'll add this and it may seem a bit contradictory.

I was a young adult when Jimmy Carter was screwing up everything he touched.  THAT was inflation.  It was largely caused by high fuel costs, high interest rates and stupid amounts of .gov spending/printing.

We were experiencing rather low inflation rates from the mid 90's to 2007.  We were not accustom to current rapidly rising prices and it appears exaggerated to us.

One other thing that should be kept in mind are the figures/methods/result .gov provides. They are manipulated to give a desired result.

Nothing this .gov puts forth is truthful.

Ain't that the truth!

Link Posted: 1/4/2012 5:45:53 PM EDT
[#42]
Hyperinflation is not on the horizon. The Fed is not inflating. It ceased inflating in June. Prices have been remarkably stable given the vast quantities of money created since 2008.
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 6:15:56 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

+1

Link Posted: 1/4/2012 6:51:33 PM EDT
[#44]
As other have said this may not be  Hyper Inflation.
But when you see everything going up in cost.
And wages stale or dropping.
Then the real question should of been:
What has not went up in cost, that you use daily?

PITA45
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 9:31:43 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
As other have said this may not be  Hyper Inflation.
But when you see everything going up in cost.
And wages stale or dropping.
Then the real question should of been:
What has not went up in cost, that you use daily?

The value of my house
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 9:48:33 AM EDT
[#46]
My GF has been tragically affected by a huge increase in Peanut Butter prices......30-40% in the last year.
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 12:29:49 PM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

5 Gillette Mach 3 razor cartridges were $13.85 at the store tonight... were they always this much?

They are cheaper when you buy the 12 pack. Around here, they're $2.xx when bought in larger quantities.

Who'd a thunk razors would cost so much?

Link Posted: 1/5/2012 1:15:27 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

If there's a Target near you buy them there.  I got a bulk 20-pack a few weeks ago for $21.
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 2:32:36 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
I'd say the shocker will come when the dollar is ditched for buying and selling of oil on world markets

that will start a true SHFT scenario IMO

Ditched in favor of what? The main alternative is on the verge of total collapse.
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 2:35:06 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Quoted:

ShadowStats. Good post.

John Williams uses a secret methodology to claim that inflation is much higher than the government reports. I do not take him seriously. There are a lot of quacks in the hard money/anti-Fed camp. I say this as a hardcore supporter of gold as money.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top