Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/3/2012 12:33:30 PM EDT
I'd like to put away some AA batteries and CR123 batteries.  When buying in bulk, they usually come in a flimsy cardboard box. (no blister packs)

Has anyone found a good solution using ammo can storage for batteries so the don't short out?  Like a plastic container that fits well inside can, etc?

What containers are you folks using for storage?

Thanks
Link Posted: 1/3/2012 12:53:00 PM EDT
[#1]
Tag for intrest
Link Posted: 1/3/2012 3:17:12 PM EDT
[#3]
Here is the most cost effecient way I have found so far:

Using 40 of these will probably waste some space though.  But for $14, it might be worth it.

Store 160 AA for $14
Link Posted: 1/3/2012 3:39:59 PM EDT
[#4]
I use the leftover styrofoam bullet trays from boxes of factory ammo - 9mm and .45.   Then I stack them in Rubbermaid shoeboxes.
Link Posted: 1/3/2012 4:21:25 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I use the leftover styrofoam bullet trays from boxes of factory ammo - 9mm and .45.   Then I stack them in Rubbermaid shoeboxes.

This was a great lead.  Check this out.  Still looking though.

See This

Link Posted: 1/3/2012 6:09:33 PM EDT
[#6]
One of the problems with storing them in bulk is that if one of them ever leaks, it could ruin a lot of the others.

Sealing no more than half a dozen batteries in small plastic bags works well. That way, if you get a "leaker", it only ruins the other batteries in that bag. Also, grouping your batteries in small quantities means that you can easily pull a few of them out of storage without disturbing the rest.

Storage at low temperatures is good idea for Alkaline batteries...

and nearly essential for carbon-zinc batteries:

Link Posted: 1/3/2012 10:22:44 PM EDT
[#7]
Should lithium batteries be stored at lower temps?
Link Posted: 1/3/2012 10:53:27 PM EDT
[#8]
Anything special used for storing small quantities in your BOB?
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 12:00:11 AM EDT
[#9]
I use plastic tubes from CountyComm.com. These are soda bottles that have not been blown up to the size of the 2 liter bottle. Basically it is the bottle blank. These also come with the screw on top. You can fit in 3 or 4 CR123, 2 AA, and I think 3 AAA batteries into a single tube. These should provide protection against leakage. I use 3 in each BOB, 1 for 3 to 4 CR123 and 2 more for 2 AA each, a total of 4 AA batteries.

Just my idea and would like to see other ideas on this topic. I believe the main thing in long term battery storage is leakage protection.
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 4:38:32 AM EDT
[#10]
That's a good point about one leaking, and ruining the others when stored in bulk packaging.

Link Posted: 1/4/2012 5:08:43 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Not to highjack, but I'm curious about this as well.

Increased rate of discharge for lithiums at higher temps?
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 7:43:28 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

It'll definitely increase their shelf life -

...but then again, they have such a long shelf life to begin with, it's usually not much of an issue. You could store 'em at room temperature for 20 years, and they'd still have around 80 percent of their original capacity left.
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 6:35:53 AM EDT
[#13]
I emailed this eBay seller.  These fit 50 AA batteries each.  There is 1/2" above installed batteries.

Shipping is high for one unit, but comes down on multiple.

I would think this type of box would help contain any cell-leakage to that cell, or the ones immediately beside it.

Hope this helps other folks.

This model
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 6:45:59 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Anything special used for storing small quantities in your BOB?

This guy has amazing prices in his store.

Here

Battery junction also has case cases, if you are ordering batteries anyway.
Link Posted: 1/6/2012 3:06:15 AM EDT
[#16]
I vacuum seal them in pairs, although I have 2 boxes worth that I have to admit I have not done that because it seems like a waste.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top