Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/23/2011 10:25:21 AM EDT
Im trying to find cheaper ways to store water. I already store water in 2 liter bottles when I have them.
Would there be a problem with storing water in milk jugs? I dont think the lids make enough of a seal but I could store water in them for everything other than drinking or cooking.
What do you think?
Link Posted: 12/23/2011 10:39:50 AM EDT
[#1]
Buy a used RV - CHEAP right now.  Big water tanks.  Built in pumps.  You can even live in your water supply.  @ Wal Mart - where they sell gallon jugs of water in what looks suspiciously like milk jugs...

Merry Christmaunukah!

backbencher
Link Posted: 12/23/2011 10:39:50 AM EDT
[#2]
I have stored water for my pets in them.  They have held up for over 5 years.
Link Posted: 12/23/2011 10:45:13 AM EDT
[#3]
I've had the plastic gallon milk jugs break down and leak within less than 2 years and I believe many others here have too. It's not fun finding a damp moldy mess where your water used to be.
Link Posted: 12/23/2011 10:46:50 AM EDT
[#4]
Arizona Tea gallon jugs.
Link Posted: 12/23/2011 10:48:14 AM EDT
[#5]
I've seen reports here and elsewhere that some people who store water in the store bought 1 gallon milk type jugs have had problems with them suddenly leaking. Result is, no water and often the spilled water ruins other preps. I would advise getting some more appropriate container for long term storage. Wal Mart had those 7 gallon blue reliance Aqua Tainers for about $7.50 or so here all year long, while others reported $10 or so in other locations. Not terribly expensive and holds 7 gallons. I have some, but also have some LCI type cans for when I have to be in transit too.
Another inexpensive  method is to get some of those Butler Creek or other type clear 5 gallon containers from Academy or other sporting goods stores. I have some, though I have never used them yet. You should plan to spend about $1/gallon minimum for some decent type of longterm storage container for water. You may find better deals, but that is about the average minimum price I've found for decent, maybe not the best, but decent containers.
Link Posted: 12/23/2011 10:57:29 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Buy a used RV - CHEAP right now.  Big water tanks.  Built in pumps.  You can even live in your water supply.  @ Wal Mart - where they sell gallon jugs of water in what looks suspiciously like milk jugs...

Merry Christmaunukah!

backbencher

Ya but that costs extra money. Im talking about reusing milk jugs. I think I might store some in maybe a plastic storage tub and see how long they last. I do need to get some more durable containers but I was just looking for some free ways of reusing old stuff.
Link Posted: 12/23/2011 11:22:58 AM EDT
[#7]
I've had bad luck with milk jugs. I use 2 liter bottles for all my small quantity needs. I can get Walmart brand soda for .79 cents a 2 liter. If I assume good water storage costs around $1-$3 a gallon, that means that even at the $1 / gallon level I'm only paying about .30 cents for the soda I'm drinking.
Link Posted: 12/23/2011 11:51:03 AM EDT
[#8]
The milk jugs seem a bit thin. I reuse the 1gal. OJ, the .5gal fruit drink, Gatorade and 2 liter soda jugs and bottles.

Link Posted: 12/23/2011 11:55:10 AM EDT
[#9]
My kids drink lots of apple juice so I use the apple juice bottles.  They are much more robust than milk jugs and I'm not worried about them leaking.  I also have a few of the 7 gallon Reliance containers from Wal-Mart and then I have these:

Link Posted: 12/23/2011 1:58:22 PM EDT
[#10]
I think the milk jugs are biodegradable and for certain they are too fragile. I believe that clear containers are also prone to algae growth.

I've been saving empty Clorox jugs and storing them full of water for years without any leaks. Also, one rides around in the camper shell of my truck for drinking, washing, radiator filling, etc.

Also, the big Minute Maid and similar jugs are very long lived and more durable than the Clorox jugs.

I don't plan to go mobile, but if I need to, these containers are quick and easy to throw in a vehicle and go.
Link Posted: 12/23/2011 2:06:52 PM EDT
[#11]
What kind of plastic are the bleach jugs? they my not be food quality and could leach chemicals into the water. As for milk jugs, go talk to the guy at your local recycling plant...a lot of comntainers are made to degrade and in a short time.
Link Posted: 12/23/2011 2:21:43 PM EDT
[#12]
I like the jugs from Hawiian Punch.  Walmart usually has them - full of HP - for about $2.39.  I had a couple I know have been around for over 10 years with no issues.

Link Posted: 12/23/2011 2:33:57 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
My kids drink lots of apple juice so I use the apple juice bottles.  They are much more robust than milk jugs and I'm not worried about them leaking.  I also have a few of the 7 gallon Reliance containers from Wal-Mart and then I have these:

http://i710.photobucket.com/albums/ww103/aplorton/BasementTanks2.jpg

I don't think those will fit in the trunk of the SHTF Nova in the background.  Got a trailer to haul those around on?  

Link Posted: 12/23/2011 3:34:58 PM EDT
[#14]
I bought a bunch of the military grade water containers as recommended from others here:

http://buylci.com/thm46Home.aspx

* Thanks ARFCOM-SF for recommending this company and the containers!  

As for the cheap milk jugs, we typically keep a few "in the kitchen" for general use, picnics, camping, etc. and they get cycled every few months.  They are cheap and nice to have around.  However, the milk jug bottles are not relied upon at all.  The military water containers mentioned above are used for serious water storage.  We are also planning on setting up a couple bulk 50 gallon containers as well.  We also keep the water storage in a different area than the food.

The commercially filled and sealed, 1 gallon milk jug with water, can also work well in a pinch for an emergency eye wash / irrigation.  The water is obviously not sterile, but if nothing else is around it will work.  The 1 gallon jug opening fits the eye socket pretty well and does a nice job for large volume irrigation of the eye. Already had to do this once for someone who got gas in their eye during a car-camping trip.
Link Posted: 12/23/2011 3:37:25 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Altair - Now that's an AWESOME setup!    Industrial is the way to go!
Link Posted: 12/23/2011 4:17:08 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I don't think those will fit in the trunk of the SHTF Nova in the background.  Got a trailer to haul those around on?  

69 Chevelle, actually, though we also have a 74 Nova.  The Chevelle is a street car, the Nova is a pro-street drag car.

As for the trailer, here is how I brought them home:
Link Posted: 12/23/2011 4:40:56 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Altair - Now that's an AWESOME setup!    Industrial is the way to go!

Thanks, it works well for me.  The two pictured are 330 gallons each and the other four you see on the trailer are 250 gallons each.  The other four are waiting for the barn to get built (we break ground in January) and will be part of the rainwater collections system.
Link Posted: 12/23/2011 4:45:07 PM EDT
[#18]
Dr. Pepper syrup drums, 15 gallons each and are sturdy. And LCI MWC are great. Jave some 55 gallons drums that had Kikoman in them. Steam pressure washer, bleach, vinegar will clean drums, and the squares show here. I have used milk jugs, but they will fail after a few years. The Chic-Filet tea jugs work for freezing and stuffing in coolers, so they seem durable.
Link Posted: 12/23/2011 5:09:02 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

I like the jugs from Hawiian Punch. Walmart usually has them - full of HP - for about $2.39. I had a couple I know have been around for over 10 years with no issues.

http://www.bloomingtonneeds.com/images/hawaiian_punch.jpg

Another sturdy container. 3 liters.

Link Posted: 12/23/2011 5:19:19 PM EDT
[#20]
They get leaks eventually.  It's in the number of years, but it was actually incredible on how close to each other they were failing.
Link Posted: 12/23/2011 5:21:17 PM EDT
[#21]
If you want cheap and easy, milk jugs ain't it, but this has some pretty good ideas for both:  Water Storage Container FAQ
Link Posted: 12/23/2011 5:23:11 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Arizona Tea gallon jugs.

This

built like brick shithouse, for a plastic jug
Link Posted: 12/23/2011 5:45:35 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
What kind of plastic are the bleach jugs? they my not be food quality and could leach chemicals into the water. As for milk jugs, go talk to the guy at your local recycling plant...a lot of comntainers are made to degrade and in a short time.

They are HDPE. Should be no problem.
Link Posted: 12/24/2011 11:42:50 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
I've had the plastic gallon milk jugs break down and leak within less than 2 years and I believe many others here have too. It's not fun finding a damp moldy mess where your water used to be.

This...
Link Posted: 12/24/2011 12:20:18 PM EDT
[#25]
I just use 2 liter soda bottles and juice bottles like the ones posted above.

Sanitize them by washing them out and using a bleach solution - maybe like 1 part bleach in 9 parts water to rinse them and the caps real well.  I store untreated well water in them and have kept it for a year and a half without rotating it with no bad effect on it.

Bottles are cheap - get them from Christmas parties, etc., if you don't drink alot of soda or juice.  They are easy to use, cheap and portable.
Link Posted: 12/24/2011 12:47:14 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
I like the jugs from Hawiian Punch.  Walmart usually has them - full of HP - for about $2.39.  I had a couple I know have been around for over 10 years with no issues.

http://www.bloomingtonneeds.com/images/hawaiian_punch.jpg

I've used these for storing rice as well. Each holds 7 lbs.
Link Posted: 12/24/2011 4:17:47 PM EDT
[#27]
My parents keep watered stored in milk jugs frozen in the extra freezer in case of an ice storm event like 09. You just can't fill them all the way to the top or the ice will bow the cap off. It was started over a year ago and none of the jugs have failed except for the ones filled to the top.
Link Posted: 12/24/2011 6:49:50 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
My parents keep watered stored in milk jugs frozen in the extra freezer in case of an ice storm event like 09. You just can't fill them all the way to the top or the ice will bow the cap off. It was started over a year ago and none of the jugs have failed except for the ones filled to the top.

^^^THIS +1

Link Posted: 12/25/2011 1:47:49 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Dr. Pepper syrup drums, 15 gallons each and are sturdy. And LCI MWC are great. Jave some 55 gallons drums that had Kikoman in them. Steam pressure washer, bleach, vinegar will clean drums, and the squares show here. I have used milk jugs, but they will fail after a few years. The Chic-Filet tea jugs work for freezing and stuffing in coolers, so they seem durable.

I've got one of those that I picked up at a flea market.  After many washings, soaking in baking soda, an entire summer in the sun, more washings... sumbitch STILL smells like Dr. Pepper.
More persistent than that pickle bucket smell.  
Link Posted: 12/25/2011 2:07:49 AM EDT
[#30]
I buy the 5 gallon water cooler jugs at the orange or blue Borg.

They don't break down.

I was dipping the filler neck and cover in paraffin, but I'm looking for something more durable with which to seal them tightly.

Link Posted: 12/25/2011 6:24:42 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

I do this too although for different reasons. What I do is fill the jug and leave about an inch or two of air at the top. Then I squeeze the jug until the water rises to the top and then I put the cap on. I have found that the jugs tend to expand the most around the middle even if you leave an air gap at the top.

Link Posted: 1/6/2012 3:23:37 PM EDT
[#32]
I was going to let this go because I am aware of the reputation gallon milk type jugs have for failing.  I save these jugs for containers and to recycle.  I have found that if you refill them right after you empty them and keep them indoors (not subject to extremes of temperature) they will keep for up to five years.  If you empty them and do not refill them they will crack just sitting in less than six months.  I think this is an intentional design and having water in them actually preserves them.  If someone knows different, please correct me.  I have been successfully storing water in these jugs for my animals needs for over ten years, but I do cycle them on average every five years.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top