Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/19/2011 4:32:13 PM EDT
I think the hippie would die without Dave. On occasion the hippie will actually contribute, but all the meat gotten was from Dave.

A few notes;

1) the hippie was the first to suggest burning tires to signalling

2) they drank an awful lot of raw water despite the fact they had fires to purify it.

3) walking in the jungle, the desert and freezing snow cover peaks in barefeet is a stupid idea, even before boots were invented the cavemen covered up their feet.

Like all survival shows, you have to take it for what its worth, some stuff was cool and very ingenuitive, their solar still was very cool and the snake skin "canteen" was really cool.

Anyways, this was my first time watching the show and it ranks up there pretty good.
Link Posted: 11/19/2011 4:43:17 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
I think the hippie would die without Dave.

Actually I've always thought it would be more likely  the other way around.

Link Posted: 11/19/2011 4:47:09 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
I think the hippie would die without Dave. On occasion the hippie will actually contribute, but all the meat gotten was from Dave.

A few notes;

2) they drank an awful lot of raw water despite the fact they had fires to purify it.

3) walking in the jungle, the desert and freezing snow cover peaks in barefeet is a stupid idea, even before boots were invented the cavemen covered up their feet.

Like all survival shows, you have to take it for what its worth, some stuff was cool and very ingenuitive, their solar still was very cool and the snake skin "canteen" was really cool.

Anyways, this was my first time watching the show and it ranks up there pretty good.

you guys running out of stuff to do???......
Link Posted: 11/19/2011 4:49:50 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Quoted:

A few notes;

you guys running out of stuff to do???......

Im off work for the whole next week, so yea, I aint got nut'n to do.
Link Posted: 11/19/2011 4:51:32 PM EDT
[#4]
They both have their strong and weaker points.  I think they could both survive on their own easily in most situations.  

People understimate Cody's abilities because all they see is a hippy in bare feet.

He's not a joke.

Link Posted: 11/19/2011 4:55:42 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
They both have their strong and weaker points.  I think they could both survive on their own easily in most situations.  

People understimate Cody's abilities because all they see is a hippy in bare feet.

He's not a joke.

Oh I never dismissed him, he has merit for sure and could survive just as well, but it seems Dave is the Hunter while hippie is the gatherer, Im guessing this how they want to portray each of them, Thats fine. It adds different perspectives.
Link Posted: 11/19/2011 5:27:23 PM EDT
[#6]
The show would be allot better if it wasn't staged.

I think in a real survival situation...Cody wins easily.
Link Posted: 11/19/2011 5:27:58 PM EDT
[#7]
When Cody made the "greenhouse" tent out of a piece of plastic with the fire close by- that was a good one- I'd like to actually try that.  The still for fresh water was pretty clever too.  The bare feet thing- I take it for what it's worth, I guess holmes has been cruising sans sneakers fro 20 years plus so whatever floats his boat.  Dave sometimes I feel can be a bit "smash with hammer NOW" type of mentality.  I've been through a couple of the mil survival schools and they always teach to take things slow and methodical.   You can't screw up fast enough etc. Good show though, I like it way more than Bear Gryllis aka I'll DRINK MY URINE.
Link Posted: 11/19/2011 5:42:41 PM EDT
[#8]
Pretty entertaining show.  Dave and Cody aren't too bad....and I enjoy their banter.  Better than that douche Bear
Link Posted: 11/19/2011 5:43:36 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I think the hippie would die without Dave.

Actually I've always thought it would be more likely  the other way around.

Ditto.

Link Posted: 11/19/2011 7:06:01 PM EDT
[#10]
Hey Guys... its all fake... as in made up for TV for your enjoyment. Yes, Cody has skills as does the other testosterone laden guy. But the show is all scripted... written on paper several times before enacted, shot, reshot, edited, and sent to post for enhancement. Enjoy it... just have to pretend it's real.
Link Posted: 11/19/2011 7:10:47 PM EDT
[#11]
Met Dave recently.  Nice guy and pretty good teacher.
Link Posted: 11/19/2011 7:14:09 PM EDT
[#12]
Yes scripted
Yes either can survive on their own
Yes they are opposites (thats what makes the show entertaining)

I think Cody can make fire by telekinesis
Link Posted: 11/19/2011 8:22:02 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

When Cody made the "greenhouse" tent out of a piece of plastic with the fire close by- that was a good one- I'd like to actually try that.
 The still for fresh water was pretty clever too.  The bare feet thing- I take it for what it's worth, I guess holmes has been cruising sans sneakers fro 20 years plus so whatever floats his boat.  Dave sometimes I feel can be a bit "smash with hammer NOW" type of mentality.  I've been through a couple of the mil survival schools and they always teach to take things slow and methodical.   You can't screw up fast enough etc. Good show though, I like it way more than Bear Gryllis aka I'll DRINK MY URINE.

Look up Mors Kochanski super shelter. I've never tried it but apparently it works well.

Link Posted: 11/19/2011 9:55:50 PM EDT
[#14]
One thing I learned from that show is if you try to self rescue when your vehicle breaks down bust out the back window and use the safety glass pieces to leave a breadcrumb trail. I thought that was a neat idea.

(Everyone probably knows this but I have to stress that if its winter never leave the car except under the most dire of circumstances)
Link Posted: 11/19/2011 11:20:34 PM EDT
[#15]
Every reality show is scripted now. Its not just a couple of guys with video cameras following kids around in an apartment anymore. Its scripted and contrived. Gold Rush Alaska has got to be the worst of all. Every move they make, every bullshit deadline, every word they say is calculated to get ratings. Still, I must admit that I am hooked on Storage Wars. Yeah, reality shows really suck, but most of the time they are better than watching yet another cop or hospital drama.
Link Posted: 11/20/2011 4:56:11 AM EDT
[#16]
You mean they aren't real?
Not even the Repo show?
Not even Wrasslin?
I am heart broken.

The current state of society is why my TV is more useful as a dust magnet.
(I will admit to watching football)
Link Posted: 11/20/2011 4:57:40 AM EDT
[#17]
If I had to survive with either of them, Dave would be my choice. Cody might be useful, but after a few days he would get annoying and I would probably want to kill him. Or at least cut off those stupid pigtails and superglue some shoes on his feet while he's asleep.

Az
Link Posted: 11/20/2011 6:05:47 AM EDT
[#18]
They're both pretty legit in the field. Dave is more of a risk-taker while Cody is sometimes almost too risk-adverse.
Link Posted: 11/20/2011 7:02:57 AM EDT
[#19]
I like the show and think they bring a cowboy & indian skill set. Dave could get you out of a bad situation whereas with Cody you can become indiginous to a region.

You don't always need an expert to kill a rabbit, to know which plant to eat that your already sitting next to though?

Many white men got scalped by guys with pigtails, I won't even start about the guys in skirts.
Link Posted: 11/20/2011 9:40:26 AM EDT
[#20]
They did a show out in the Olympic Mountain range here in my home turf.  The advice they gave, several times as I recall, to simply head west to the ocean is pure stupid.  Most of the trails are WAY over on the east side of the range, and if you followed their 'go west' advice not only would you never make it, the authorities would probably never find your carcass.
Link Posted: 11/20/2011 10:09:14 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
They did a show out in the Olympic Mountain range here in my home turf.  The advice they gave, several times as I recall, to simply head west to the ocean is pure stupid.  Most of the trails are WAY over on the east side of the range, and if you followed their 'go west' advice not only would you never make it, the authorities would probably never find your carcass.

I remember that....I don't recall them following trails. Why would it be a bad idea to head west towards the coast? Why would authorities be less likely to find their bodies if they head west rather than east? I've only been to Washington once and it was to Crystal Mountain so aside from the mountains I don't know much about Washington. Oh, except that there is desert to the east.
Link Posted: 11/20/2011 11:02:59 AM EDT
[#22]
The distance aside, the terrain is extremely difficult, and in most places, impassable without very specialized mountain climbing gear.  Water is plentiful, but food is scarce.  There are elk and deer in the lower elevations, but there’s a reason that even the natives didn’t live in there.  

In the late 1800s, most of the interior of the Olympic Range was still unexplored, and the Seattle Press sponsored a team to explore the area (they went from north to south).  Called the “Press Party” the group, although well equipped, barely made it out alive.  It is believed that some of their equipment caches are still out there.  If you can find a book on the expedition get it, it’s an incredible story of real survival.
James Christie's party of six men (five completed the trek), four dogs (including Christie's two bear dogs, Bud and Tweed - the other dogs were Daisy and Dike), two mules (Jennie and Dollie) and 1,600 pounds of supplies spent five-and-a-half months in the mountains on a north/south crossing December 8, 1889.

For those of us that hike the area, including going off trail, the Olympics are no place to mess around.  This is real terrain with real dangers.  Trying to walk out without a plan other than ‘go west’ will kill you.  Get lost in the forests, especially the old growth forests, and finding your body will be like looking for a needle in a haystack.  

For comparison, the Olympic National Park alone is roughly the size of Rhode Island!  That does NOT include the Olympic National Forest lands and a wilderness area or two thrown in.  Your direction of travel will depend entirely on where in the Olympics that you're lost.

Link Posted: 11/20/2011 12:05:21 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

He's not a joke.

Cody has two books that are worth reading...

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top