Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/18/2011 3:44:59 PM EDT
How important is balancing a generator?  I know its important, but what ratios are we talking about?

I just had a transfer switch with dual wattage meters installed (for my 7000 watt genset)

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 11/18/2011 4:43:03 PM EDT
[#1]
IIRC, generatorjoe.com recommends keeping the legs within 1000 watts of each other.  I occasionally turn on light circuits and try to keep mine within 500 watts.

It's fine taking bursts over 1000 watts when electric motors kick in.

Balancing is primarily done to insure that you don't have a bunch of high draw devices only on one leg which could burn up the winding or constantly trip the breaker in the generator.  

A rare occurrence from having the load unbalanced is when one side of generator but not the other creates torsional vibrations in the rotor that could result in broken shafts.  It's not often encountered but it's easy to prevent through more precise balancing of the circuits from the watt meters.  Just remember that if you help out a neighbor and allow them to run an extension cord you won't see the wattage they're using because it's not running into the transfer switch and through the load meters.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top