Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/2/2011 2:26:38 PM EDT
Does anyone know where I can get bulk mylar, not like 100-200 bags, I mean like rolls of it, 200ft long 18 inch wide, would be great, but anything along those lines would work.

Google turns up the normal prospects, sorbent systems, vac pak, etc. I need like an industry supplier, not some retail bag maker.....

If anyone has anything that might point me in the right direction I would appreciate it.
Link Posted: 10/2/2011 3:24:24 PM EDT
[#1]
I would look at a greenhouse supply store, assuming you're just looking for mylar sheet.  I doubt the greenhouse stuff would heat-seal though.
Link Posted: 10/2/2011 3:33:57 PM EDT
[#2]
It might be difficult to find, the mylar you describe is sold in huge rolls of "web" to flexible packaging "converters" who apply the adhesives and the side/chevron/end seals.

You might try searching for a bag, pouch or flexible packaging converter and see if they can help you.
Link Posted: 10/2/2011 3:41:05 PM EDT
[#3]

I used to see rolls of 4' to 10' width at auctions here in Huntsville, AL. It came in as surplus of aerospace contractors working on shuttle, ISS, and satellite projects.

There are currently a number of sellers of mylar rolls on eBay–– take a look and see if anyone has what you're looking for.
Link Posted: 10/2/2011 8:13:45 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

I used to see rolls of 4' to 10' width at auctions here in Huntsville, AL. It came in as surplus of aerospace contractors working on shuttle, ISS, and satellite projects.

There are currently a number of sellers of mylar rolls on eBay–– take a look and see if anyone has what you're looking for.

A lot of these are for hydroponic set ups which an earlier poster mentioned. I think he is correct in the fact that these might not heat seal as well as food grade. What I am shooting for is to find rolls of the stuff that Sorbentsystems buys then simply impulse seals into bags and sells at a mark up. I can impulse seal them myself, and I need a ton, so if I can save some money finding a roll rather than pre-made bags, it would be very advantageous.
Link Posted: 10/2/2011 8:24:02 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
It might be difficult to find, the mylar you describe is sold in huge rolls of "web" to flexible packaging "converters" who apply the adhesives and the side/chevron/end seals.

You might try searching for a bag, pouch or flexible packaging converter and see if they can help you.

This suggestion looks like it may yield some good leads, thanks!
Link Posted: 10/3/2011 4:38:18 PM EDT
[#6]
You might also want to do a search for "metalized polyester film" or "metalized PET". A quick google turned up several
packaging companies that take the raw film master rolls and process it. It sounds like they measure the film by the
pound, and one of those master rolls runs in the 100s of pounds.
Link Posted: 10/3/2011 7:12:13 PM EDT
[#7]
Add USDA and or FDA compliant/approved to your search terms.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top