BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/30/2011 2:44:02 PM EDT

Just passing on the info.

http://www.ksl.com/?nid=960&sid=17425930

Link Posted: 9/30/2011 4:27:31 PM EDT
[#1]
I was excited then started reading.

While I commend her, the kit is nothing but a box with spots cut out for things you should already have as a diabetic.

It's a good idea but not ground breaking nor a "new" kit, and her desperation was her own incompetence.
Link Posted: 9/30/2011 4:33:13 PM EDT
[#2]
How the fuck does a type 1 diabetic "run out of or lose" medications?
Link Posted: 9/30/2011 7:11:31 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

The same way people run out of or lose anything else?

I can see the goodness in the idea of having a "go kit" that's purpose built to protect the stuff and keep it cool.  Looks like a yellow pelican case to me, tho.

I'll have to admit that if we had a run-out-the-door emergency, other than my daily pack of insulin that I use (2-3 days worth of stuff), I'd have to quick assemble some stuff.

It's not a bad idea, but a little pricey.

-Slice

Link Posted: 9/30/2011 7:34:28 PM EDT
[#4]
I was expecting some new development with insulin.  A pelican case with a foam insert?  Yawn.

I have a feeling she will sell a lot of them though.
Link Posted: 9/30/2011 7:46:19 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Ever seen how ditzy, spacy, and flat-out dumb people get when blood sugar is too high or low?
Link Posted: 9/30/2011 9:48:36 PM EDT
[#6]
Years of eating out and ordering pizza in coupled with no exercise and I found myself diagnosed with Diabetes and Sleep Apnea at 40 years old.  I weighed 350lbs with a 54 inch waist.  I couldn't even walk a 1/4 mile without having to sit down to catch my breath.  Once being diagnosed with type 2 Diabetes I did change my diet lost a bunch of weight.  I was totally dependent on insulin.  1 shot in the evening and 1 before each meal. 4 a day.  

Early this spring I found myself tipping the scales at 312lbs. again.  I finally got some balls and got off my ass and started walking every single night.  I totally stopped using the insulin as a crutch, I stopped taking it and started walking and working out.  My blood sugars still run a little high but I'm in no means as bad a shape as I was.  If I didn't take a bolus shot for a meal and ate normally my blood sugars would easily hit 300.  Now I'm hitting 175-180 after meals and I'm at 120-130 in the mornings.  I'm weighing in at 260, but some of it is muscle coming back on my body.  I bought some 46 inch shorts a few months ago and now if I don't have my belt on they fall to my ankles.  My end goal is 200lbs.  I've got a long ways to go, but I'm doing it.  I walk 2-3 miles a night and workout 3 days a week.  When I started I couldn't make it a half mile without stopping from the pain in my feet, due to my lower legs having been swollen for the past decade or so.  I have permanent discoloration on my shins due to the bruising.   Today I know I could easily put down 10 miles now if I had to.  Walking 2-3 miles a night may not sound like much to a lot of folks, but it has helped me to completely turn my life around.  I've lost 52lbs. in six months.  I know I won't keep that pace up, not even close, but I'm determined.  

I know this doesn't help type 1's but maybe it will give some encouragement to some type 2 folks that need it.

Me playing some foos and weighing in around 190lb. in 1990.

Me and my big fat face in 2004, hitting around the 350lb mark.  (Yes, that is my beautiful wife of 24 years.)

Me today at 260lb. wearing my 10 year old 2x Cardinals shirt that I never could fit in until now. GO CARDS!

I guess what I'm trying to say is that if your fat and diabetic the chances are if you lose weight you can not only improve your diabetes situation, but you can possibly beat it.  I am going to do it! This is my diabetic kit!

I've wasted more than 15 years of my life, I'm not getting any younger and I want to enjoy the active years I have left in a much thinner body......

I'm also dealing with nerve damage and a bum knee but that's a whole nuther ball of wax, I'm not going to let that slow me down either

Link Posted: 9/30/2011 10:23:47 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

good for you,, KUDOs!!
this is what i worry about the most, my wife. w/o meds no long term survival..

Link Posted: 10/1/2011 1:38:49 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ever seen how ditzy, spacy, and flat-out dumb people get when blood sugar is too high or low?

I get downright pissed off when I'm low...

Don't get between me and a cheeseburger when I'm like that... I'm on a mission at that point.
Link Posted: 10/1/2011 2:56:07 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

If it helps, my father came out to visit before my last deployment a couple years back.  He seemed off a bit, but nothing TOO out fo the ordinary.  When he got back home he was having difficulty moving his arm and thought he had pinched a nerve.  He visited his doctor and found out he had a series of small strokes, and diabeties.  Fast forward to now and he has lost alot of weight, changed his diet, and says his doctor is astonished by his progress.  His doc has told him that if he didnt already know he was diebetic, he wouldn't be able to tell by his tests.  He checks his blood regularly, but hasnt had to use any form of insulin for almost a year now (Though he still keeps a good supply that is up to date in good prepper style).

Summary:  If he can do it at almost 60, you have a pretty damn good chance.  Good luck.
Link Posted: 10/1/2011 3:04:06 AM EDT
[#10]
We use a go bag stuffed with all the Type I gear in the hallway closet. Still have to keep the insulin in the fridge but I can be out the door with a full kit in less than a minute.

We use it for extended trips away from home.

http://zombiehunters.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=80&t=58547

My inspiration.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top