Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/30/2011 9:03:09 AM EDT
Gotta get out of the prep cellar and away from your Bug Out Location sometime.  Always good to prove that if you need to, you can move, hunt, shoot, and more importantly....THINK.

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_8_8/459876_.html

If any of you have been there, then you know.

LD
Link Posted: 9/30/2011 9:07:10 AM EDT
[#1]
One day ill attend that.
Link Posted: 9/30/2011 9:12:43 AM EDT
[#2]
This was my first year, and I used my regular GBH bag, trunkgun, and concealed carry sidearm.  Exactly what I would have to get back home from my office or vehicle.  I didn't talk to anyone who looked at it as a game, or race, including the guy that won.  Test, sure.  Game, definitely not.
Link Posted: 9/30/2011 9:16:37 AM EDT
[#3]
(Note.  I see die-tryin edited his post to remove his previous thoughts on the event)

Before you call it a game, you might want to think twice.  Most folks carry their BOB.  I know I do.  My BOB doubles as my SAR pack.  Same guns, too.  The people who finish at the top all have several things in common.

1.  Fitness.  Real fitness and real ability to go hard with their pack and gear. (how is yours? is the test)

2.  Well thought out gear.  Bad fitting pack.  Bad choice of shoes.  Piss poor packing.  Lack of thought in planning for basics = fail

3.  Better than average shooting.  Can you hunt, kill, and defend yourself in various situations?

4.  Mindset.  Those at the top push through the pain, cramps, blisters, and the general thought that "this sucks"

Sounds like a perfect recipe for a Bug Out test to me.  In fact, it reads pretty much like every single survival manual, book, or publication I have ever read.  I say put your money where your mouth is.  I did.  Six times.

LD
Link Posted: 9/30/2011 9:25:33 AM EDT
[#4]

Looks like a ton of fun & a great way to test your gear.  Could be too challenging for someone like myself who walks with a cane, but I'd still give it a try.  I'll try to make it next year.

Question, will a .22 rifle be considered enough for the rifle requirement?  I have K-31 rifles at the farm but just a .22 in my bug out kit which is just to get me to the BOL.

Link Posted: 9/30/2011 9:25:34 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
(Note.  I see die-tryin edited his post to remove his previous thoughts on the event)

Before you call it a game, you might want to think twice.  Most folks carry their BOB.  I know I do.  My BOB doubles as my SAR pack.  Same guns, too.  The people who finish at the top all have several things in common.

1.  Fitness.  Real fitness and real ability to go hard with their pack and gear. (how is yours? is the test)

2.  Well thought out gear.  Bad fitting pack.  Bad choice of shoes.  Piss poor packing.  Lack of thought in planning for basics = fail

3.  Better than average shooting.  Can you hunt, kill, and defend yourself in various situations?

4.  Mindset.  Those at the top push through the pain, cramps, blisters, and the general thought that "this sucks"

Sounds like a perfect recipe for a Bug Out test to me.  In fact, it reads pretty much like every single survival manual, book, or publication I have ever read.  I say put your money where your mouth is.  I did.  Six times.

LD

Sorry your bent out of shape over it., actually not really. I think part of getting through life is not being so wound tight  But it is a game, Ive already seen how its played. Alot of people tailor the gear for the event.Infact, I remember when the 2nd year they ran it, there was hints and clues as to the event and what may or may not be needed, so folks more than likely dumped things they would otherwise put ina true BOB.  My BOB is for survival and I think its well rounded for surviving, but it might be totally useless at this event. No biggie. But if I went, I would bring it, as is. If they had a stage that I wasnt prepared for, I would make mental note and see if that stage would/could translate to real world and re-address my BOB accordingly.

Fitness - I agree, but real bugging out is more than fitness but it does help obviously, im no marathon running but I could go slow and steady and get where I need to without being tired, this event is TIMED, so obviously the marathon runner types will win out regardless. Ive followed this event since the first one, I know how its played and I know who wins.

Gear - of course shoes, pack fitment all that play a role, most of us do use our BOBs for normal camping/hiking, so I know what works and what doesnt.

Shooting - this is a skill everyone should be developing all the time, im guessing this event tests that, cool.

Mindset - Was USMC, pushing thru things isnt a problem.

Dont get me wrong, Id luv to attend for my own personal experience and will someday, I think its a neat event with alot of challenges, so you can unclinch your fists and chill, I support events like this.

Link Posted: 9/30/2011 9:47:24 AM EDT
[#6]
"Gotta get out of the prep cellar and away from your Bug Out Location sometime."

Not saying the drill might not be fun for some, but the only time I GOTTA get away from my Bugout Location is IF something forces me out. If nothing comes along and forces me to evacuate, I can spend the rest of my life there. Bugging out has been the "survivalist wet dream" of many young survivalists for decades, but in reality, many of us wouldn't bugout unless we had to, and even then it would be the second-to-last choice(just ahead of dying in place).
Link Posted: 9/30/2011 10:05:11 AM EDT
[#7]
 Unless you invent a time machine, the event already happened. It was Sept 24th!?! Oops

also considering this was the 3rd annual running of it, you musta ran it twice each year.

Link Posted: 9/30/2011 10:13:12 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
"Gotta get out of the prep cellar and away from your Bug Out Location sometime."

Not saying the drill might not be fun for some, but the only time I GOTTA get away from my Bugout Location is IF something forces me out. If nothing comes along and forces me to evacuate, I can spend the rest of my life there. Bugging out has been the "survivalist wet dream" of many young survivalists for decades, but in reality, many of us wouldn't bugout unless we had to, and even then it would be the second-to-last choice(just ahead of dying in place).

You're probably right in that many people would prefer to stay put and hopefully stay safe.  But I felt like this drill was essential for me because I really would have to bug out to get to my safe place.  Also, I would probably go nuts if I tried to stay holed up and pinned down somewhere.  
Link Posted: 9/30/2011 10:14:47 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Quoted:

You're probably right in that many people would prefer to stay put and hopefully stay safe.  But I felt like this drill was essential for me because I really would have to bug out to get to my safe place.  Also, I would probably go nuts if I tried to stay holed up and pinned down somewhere.  

While that is true. Even if you have to bug out, you may find yourself in a situatin where your stuck in one spot for hours or days til its safe to move on.

Link Posted: 9/30/2011 10:34:44 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Quoted:

"Pinned up" is a state of mind. I've always found it funny how most people who have been planning to survive for any length of time have set up some kind of plan to stay in one place(probably 90%+), but most survival message boards have about 10 times as many posts about bugout bags and bugout plans as they do about the things you'd have to do to stay in place. I realize that talking about bugging out is more fun than talking about daily survival, but life doesn't always let you do the fun things.
Link Posted: 9/30/2011 10:38:20 AM EDT
[#11]
Some of us do.  Some of us sit behind the screen and type.  I can see by your 26,000 posts where you spend most of your time.  This year marked the 6th year of the Bug Out at Tiger Valley.  Maybe we will see you at #7.  Of course that would mean you have to remove your tinfoil hat and step out of your bunker and away from the internet for a few hours.  Not gonna happen.

I have no problem with you talking about what you "think" you might be able to do.  Some of us know.  You should test yourself and your gear to find out.

LD
Link Posted: 9/30/2011 11:11:24 AM EDT
[#12]
Duplicate thread. See: http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_10_17/649991_Tiger_Valley_Bug_Out_Drill.html
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top