Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/27/2011 5:13:59 PM EDT
In the instructions it says to remove the check valve from inside the housing for the filter using a flat object. But it does not say how to do it. I can not figure out

ETA. Forgot to ask if you do use one, how do you like it?
Link Posted: 9/27/2011 7:39:11 PM EDT
[#1]
Get the hiker, not the pro hiker. I have the standard hiker, excellent, built like a tank, pumps fast. Had it for 10? years or so.
The Pro model has the quick disconnect fittings that I have seen several break on the trail, from dropping and freezing. I have never had a problem with the old trusty Hiker, never.
I wrap a coffee filter around the suction end to GREATLY  extend the life of the filter, bring a couple of small rubberbands to keep it in place.
Read the owners manual, clean with bleach before and after every trip.
Check valve- I do not remember, however a monkey can repair it in the dark, nothing complicated.
Also, the Micropure brand tablets have no aftertaste and are a good backup to carry on the trail, a little $$$ at .50 a tablet/quart, if you need them price is a bargain.
Link Posted: 9/27/2011 8:01:21 PM EDT
[#2]
First post nails it, Hiker > Hiker Pro. Love mine, simple and works good. I also have a Vario, but it lives in the grab and go SHTF gear and never gets taken on camping trips. The hiker gets the regular duty. Emergency Essentials had them on sale a while back, might still be.
Link Posted: 9/28/2011 3:49:36 PM EDT
[#3]
I love my hiker pro. No issues but I have not used it colder than just above freezing.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 9/28/2011 4:51:46 PM EDT
[#4]
I too have a question. Which systems share a common filter? Hiker and Pro are a given. What about the base camp and Vario? I bought the Hiker for a GHB since we don't do much hiking/camping.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 9/29/2011 3:00:51 AM EDT
[#5]
hiker user since 03-04'.

not one issue.

ive upgraded to a mini....well ...cuz its lighter ans smaller.  Only reason.
Link Posted: 9/29/2011 4:37:58 AM EDT
[#6]
hiker user since 96 no problems

still have 8 or 9 spare filters

Also bought a mini 2 years ago due to size
Link Posted: 9/29/2011 10:24:37 AM EDT
[#7]
Hiker here as well...never a problem in many years of use now and I'm only on my second filter. I just spray it down w/ some bleach water when I come home and it's fine

Except for all the crud on the outside of the filter, but as long as it stays on the outside, I could care less
Speed
Link Posted: 9/29/2011 6:06:12 PM EDT
[#8]
I appreciate your replies, but no one has even tried to answer my question. It wasn't which filter should I buy, the Hiker vs Hiker Pro.

So can any of you tell me how to remove the check valve?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top