Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/27/2011 6:59:37 AM EDT
I found an MRE in my pile of Army stuff from 1988.

I figured what the hell, why not.  I tested it three days ago and so far no death.

The accessory packet was fine, of course.

The crackers, cheese and chocolate pound cake were just as bad as the day they were packaged.  The pound cake was dry.

I haven't worked up the nerve to try the Chicken-ala-king.
Link Posted: 9/27/2011 7:19:01 AM EDT
[#1]
Dibs on your gear...
Link Posted: 9/27/2011 8:11:28 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

I figured what the hell, why not.  I tested it three days ago and so far no death.

The crackers, cheese and chocolate pound cake were just as bad as the day they were packaged.  The pound cake was dry.

Ah so you haven't actually completed the test....Go ahead dig into that "chicken ala-CRAP"

Dibs on your ammo...

Link Posted: 9/27/2011 1:39:31 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Meh.  Send it here, I'll eat it.  The Chicken ala king was always one of my favorites.  One of the few that didn't taste more or less like spaghetti-Os.

Link Posted: 9/27/2011 2:18:23 PM EDT
[#4]
do it. ill eat one
Link Posted: 9/27/2011 5:28:12 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Meh.  Send it here, I'll eat it.  The Chicken ala king was always one of my favorites.  One of the few that didn't taste more or less like spaghetti-Os.

Yep, the chicken ala king w/ the full bottle of tabasco was the best out there!

K
Link Posted: 9/27/2011 6:30:38 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

K

Yep, the very first (of many, many) MRE's I ever ate. Breakfast at 0500 during a road march.  I always liked it.  Also the Tuna with Noodles was pretty damned good too.

Link Posted: 9/27/2011 6:58:30 PM EDT
[#7]
Yes! 1988, I scoffed-down alot of MRE's that year. We still had the M16A2 full-auto, 1911 45.ACP and the Beetle Bailey jeeps. Good times.
Link Posted: 9/27/2011 9:32:11 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

K

Yep, the very first (of many, many) MRE's I ever ate. Breakfast at 0500 during a road march.  I always liked it.  Also the Tuna with Noodles was pretty damned good too.

Man, I forgot about those!

Link Posted: 9/28/2011 6:47:07 AM EDT
[#9]
Chicken a-la-king the best?  No way!  The turkey diced with gravy was my favorite.  

I know someone who made it through aircrew survival training at Fairchild because he had that entire MRE disassembled and taped to his t-shirt under his flight suit.  They check the sleeping bags and other gear, they didn't check there!  Was also the only one in the class who had to crap the whole time I was there too.
Link Posted: 9/28/2011 9:12:38 AM EDT
[#10]
I think the main dish will be the real test of whether or not the MRE is still good.
Link Posted: 9/28/2011 9:58:06 AM EDT
[#11]

I don't expect to laugh when reading this forum, you guys made me.  The "dibs on your ammo" stuff had me rolling.

Link Posted: 9/28/2011 10:54:41 AM EDT
[#12]
Was up on an OP in Afg. opened my MysteRE, pulled out the M&Ms  it was from the 88 olympics. I ate it and Im still here but otherwise dibs on all ur shit that isnt dibbed yet

EDIT: Chicken Fajita is the best IMHO
Link Posted: 9/28/2011 12:05:02 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Was up on an OP in Afg. opened my MysteRE, pulled out the M&Ms  it was from the 88 olympics. I ate it and Im still here but otherwise dibs on all ur shit that isnt dibbed yet

Damn man. I ate the same 1988 m&m's and I knew so due to the Olympics contest they were running. This was '99. You are a brave dude
Link Posted: 9/29/2011 6:07:45 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Damn man. I ate the same 1988 m&m's and I knew so due to the Olympics contest they were running. This was '99. You are a brave dude

Well when thats what you have you make due LOL. I ate those in 2009, and they were more like M&M powder not really solid but it was some much needed food.
Link Posted: 9/29/2011 7:05:24 AM EDT
[#15]

still tasty...... as long as you dont eat the brown tabasco...

i miss these when they were still 30$ a case :(
Link Posted: 9/29/2011 8:49:25 AM EDT
[#16]
I liked the chicken ala king the most.
Link Posted: 9/29/2011 1:08:43 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 9/29/2011 3:02:53 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

http://img201.imageshack.us/img201/5467/paintball102ih0.jpg

http://img201.imageshack.us/img201/2396/paintball101hp9.jpg

still tasty...... as long as you dont eat the brown tabasco...

i miss these when they were still 30$ a case :(

That packet of spaghetti and meatballs has put me off my feed for at least three days!

Link Posted: 9/29/2011 4:03:53 PM EDT
[#19]
Personally, I think the Tuna Casserole is the best. And don't forget the Ranger Puddin'!
Link Posted: 9/29/2011 4:15:40 PM EDT
[#20]
I've got some 7 year old MRE's that are still good.  They've been kept in a closet in an air conditioned house.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top