Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/15/2011 6:49:41 PM EDT
I was using a bottle of povidone-iodine solution 10'/, and when I looked on the bottom it had expired 3 years ago. How long is it good for and can it become harmful to use?
Link Posted: 7/15/2011 8:48:09 PM EDT
[#1]
Anyone...Anyone?
Link Posted: 7/15/2011 9:29:19 PM EDT
[#2]
Just looked at some info on it and it's a stable chemical more stable than tincture of iodine.

I remember using tincture of iodine as a kid and we had old stuff around and used it for many years.

As far as being harmful with age, I'd guess not or there would be plenty of warnings not to do so.

As far as expiration, unless I saw some sort of color change or other indication, I'd use it long after expiry.

That said, I'm sure there will be others who will say to throw it out after the expiration date, so YMMV and you are going to have to use your own judgement.

Link Posted: 7/15/2011 11:03:16 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 7/15/2011 11:23:37 PM EDT
[#4]
You're g2g as long as it's still in a uniform solution. If there's a weird scum or otherwise growth in it and a very unusual smell I'd toss it. In some very very extreme cases there can be microbial growth in iodione solutions. But if it looks and smells ok, it's ok. I used expired betadine all the time in the ER. The expiration date on it is quite symbolic in my opinion.
Link Posted: 7/16/2011 10:34:14 AM EDT
[#5]
Thank you all very much. I went to Wally's World today and bought two (2) new bottles of their brand that have an expiration of 5/13. The color and smell of my old three year stuff is still the same as the new I bought. The name brand *Bentadine* was twice the price of the Wally brand by the way.
Link Posted: 7/16/2011 1:52:27 PM EDT
[#6]
Forever.
Povidone/Iodine does not  "go Bad".
Using  some from late 1980"s myself.
Link Posted: 7/16/2011 7:45:26 PM EDT
[#7]
I would say indefinitely. Iodine compounds are extremely stable.

I've had expiration dates on packets of water. I think in this it confuses more than informs.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top