Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/16/2011 10:18:16 AM EDT
I want a hand operated hand grinder for grains.  Which one?
Link Posted: 3/16/2011 10:23:23 AM EDT
[#1]
country living
Link Posted: 3/16/2011 10:26:54 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
country living

Thats the one I want.  I believe there prices went up as of yesterday though IIRC.
Link Posted: 3/16/2011 10:37:29 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
country living

$409 on their site and $395 on all the others
Link Posted: 3/16/2011 11:10:07 AM EDT
[#4]
If you call them they often have new ones with paint blemishes for a bit less.
Link Posted: 3/16/2011 11:14:36 AM EDT
[#5]
You pays your money and you takes your chances.

I just ordered a GrainMaker after going back and forth between it and the Country Living. Deciding factors for me were the second auger being included, the lifetime warranty on the burrs, and the fact that welded plates are less likely to crack if dropped (relative to the CLM's cast aluminum frame).

I expect they're both excellent mills. There are LOTS of mills in the lower price brackets, but my understanding is that you can expect to grind your grains 2-3 times in order to reach flour consistency, and they'll still be inconsistent. At the top end is the Diamant; I couldn't figure out what made it worth three times as much as a CLM.

GrainMaker is bumping their prices (to north of $600, iirc) this Friday; they were supposed to go up this past Monday but were apparently swamped with enough orders to hold off another week on the price increase.
Link Posted: 3/16/2011 11:16:14 AM EDT
[#6]
I also have a back to basics....from Emergency Ess.

Not bad....just wonder about longevity.
Link Posted: 3/16/2011 11:32:40 AM EDT
[#7]
Wondermill Jr is a fantastic hand mill for the price. Solid metal construction with table clamp, stone grinders and stainless steel grinders for around $150ish. Mine works great.
Link Posted: 3/16/2011 11:47:16 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
You pays your money and you takes your chances.

I just ordered a GrainMaker after going back and forth between it and the Country Living. Deciding factors for me were the second auger being included, the lifetime warranty on the burrs, and the fact that welded plates are less likely to crack if dropped (relative to the CLM's cast aluminum frame).

I expect they're both excellent mills. There are LOTS of mills in the lower price brackets, but my understanding is that you can expect to grind your grains 2-3 times in order to reach flour consistency, and they'll still be inconsistent. At the top end is the Diamant; I couldn't figure out what made it worth three times as much as a CLM.

GrainMaker is bumping their prices (to north of $600, iirc) this Friday; they were supposed to go up this past Monday but were apparently swamped with enough orders to hold off another week on the price increase.

+this is the one to get in this dollar range.
Link Posted: 3/16/2011 12:14:36 PM EDT
[#9]
I got the Grain Maker and we really like it.

Grain Maker Thread
Link Posted: 3/16/2011 12:19:41 PM EDT
[#10]
I have a Family Grain Mill. I like it because it is modular -  you can use the mill with an electric base, a manual base, or an attachment that will work with various stand mixers. There are also various accessories such as a flaker (makes oatmeal), a slicer/shredder, and a meat grinder.

It's a great little unit and has given me zero problems.
Link Posted: 3/16/2011 2:52:02 PM EDT
[#11]
Thanks one and all.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top