Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/16/2011 9:41:57 AM EDT
My buddy is looking into the gov liquidation generators but they are 3 phase. My simple understanding is that you can wire to one phase for home use. I know some of you guys have bought these. How would you convert it to run your home?

Generator.
Link Posted: 3/16/2011 9:48:41 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
My buddy is looking into the gov liquidation generators but they are 3 phase. My simple understanding is that you can wire to one phase for home use. I know some of you guys have bought these. How would you convert it to run your home?

Generator.

Uh... I'm pretty sure the MEP-004A can also be wired 1 phase right in the electrical panel. I think you only get 2/3 output that way, but it can be done without the need for fancy wiring etc. Do some research on that particular generator and you should find your answer.
Link Posted: 3/16/2011 12:36:36 PM EDT
[#2]
Biggest problem with three phase is the voltage between 2 120V legs is 208 and not 240 V.  This rules out running non resistive 240V loads.  For 120V loads it should be OK.  You would have to watch voltage regulation.
Link Posted: 3/16/2011 1:12:39 PM EDT
[#3]
depends on wheather it is a delta or "Y" genny system.
Link Posted: 3/16/2011 1:46:37 PM EDT
[#4]
Wye.
Link Posted: 3/16/2011 2:10:23 PM EDT
[#5]
If you only need 120V loads will run great.  Keep in mind you will not get 15kW unless you load all three phases evenly(IE not all on one).
Link Posted: 3/16/2011 2:19:29 PM EDT
[#6]
Will be fine...I wired up plenty of "civilian" cb panels in the desert using two of the legs; subsequently hooking up lighting, outlets, trailers, etc. Not quite as efficient, but will be fine.
Link Posted: 3/16/2011 2:25:36 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Will be fine...I wired up plenty of "civilian" cb panels in the desert using two of the legs; subsequently hooking up lighting, outlets, trailers, etc. Not quite as efficient, but will be fine.

I have an 04 that I haven't cranked yet. My understanding is that the guys who run them, run the voltage high, so that the 120 comes out around 129, and the single phase is 226ish. This has both within the 10% that the power company guarantees around here. We'll see.

ETA: Corrected, my typing sucks.

Link Posted: 3/16/2011 2:30:33 PM EDT
[#8]
208V will run a lot of 220V appliances you just need to check the manual.
A lot of new stuff will run between 208V and 230V.

The biggest problem with some military gen sets, is making sure you don't get a 400Hz version.
We used 400Hz gen sets for our radar.
It will fry anything that is not a purely resistive load.
Link Posted: 3/16/2011 2:31:33 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

208V will run a lot of 220V appliances you just need to check the manual.

A lot of new stuff will run between 208V and 230V.

The biggest problem with some military gen sets, is making sure you don't get a 400Hz version.

We used 400Hz gen sets for our radar.

It will fry anything that is not a purely resistive load.

Fist time I thought about bidding on one, I did not notice the 400hz frequency. I nearly screwed up big time.

Link Posted: 3/17/2011 3:55:34 AM EDT
[#10]
Most people think their house has 120/240 3 wire single phase electrical service. But a lot of people actually have 2 phases of 120/208 3 phase. This is especially common in apartment type buildings. Virtually all appliances made for residential use will work on 208 or 240V. If you look at the motors on many AC units they will say right on them 208 or 240.

So in all likelihood, there is no reason you could not use 2 phases of this generator to run your home. As another poster pointed out you may not be able to get the full power rating out of it though.
Link Posted: 3/17/2011 4:55:54 AM EDT
[#11]
Go to steelsoldiers.com in the "Auxillary Equipment" forum.
Everything you need to know about military generators and bidding with GL is there.
Link Posted: 3/17/2011 5:35:04 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Wye.

That's what I meant, I was brain dead when I posted the "Y"......
Link Posted: 3/17/2011 5:37:00 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Most people think their house has 120/240 3 wire single phase electrical service. But a lot of people actually have 2 phases of 120/208 3 phase. This is especially common in apartment type buildings. Virtually all appliances made for residential use will work on 208 or 240V. If you look at the motors on many AC units they will say right on them 208 or 240.

So in all likelihood, there is no reason you could not use 2 phases of this generator to run your home. As another poster pointed out you may not be able to get the full power rating out of it though.

Resistive heaters (Water heater, dryer, oven, yes), yes.  But I wouldn't run central air on it.  Most any motor I've seen requires a separate tap be used for 208 vs 240.  And not all motors have it.  I have to use a buck boost XFMR on my air compressor.
Link Posted: 3/17/2011 11:18:04 AM EDT
[#14]
Resistive heaters (Water heater, dryer, oven, yes), yes.  But I wouldn't run central air on it.  Most any motor I've seen requires a separate tap be used for 208 vs 240.  And not all motors have it.  I have to use a buck boost XFMR on my air compressor.

This. For reactive loads you would need to retap to 208 or run a boost XFMR. 240V motors may or may not run initially on 208, especially capacitor start motors. If they do run, they will eventually let the factory installed smoke out if ran continually on low voltage.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top