Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/14/2011 11:31:28 AM EDT
My Mom has some friends that are living in Japan. The lady has posted some of their experiences HERE. I don't know if you would call them preppers, but they do have food storage and a good mindset.

Here are some lessons learned from a quick read of their experience. What do you guys pick up reading it?

Hospital evacuated, you may be responsible for your own injuries.

Power, heat, cooling, phones, internet may all be down. Have plans to deal with this as well as plans on using what resources you DO have.

Stores:No power (have LOTS of batteries or ways to charge them?) Store only accepting cash. Maybe it’s a good idea to have a large portion of that “emergency fund” in small cash bills, and not existing as a number in a bank’s computer.

Food/Item Storage: it is good to have, but make sure you are doing (weekly?) inventory so you know what you have and what you need.

Shelter: If your home is damaged or even if it isn’t it may be a good idea to have another shelter to stay in to avoid further damage from aftershocks. (Tent’s set up away from trees or other structures that could fall on you.)

Stress: Everyone will be stressed out and it is smart to have ways to alleviate it. Books, games, and chores to keep busy. Go over some stress relief techniques such as breathing and mind imaging exercises.

Candles could be a scary thing to have burning. There is a risk of fire from broken gas lines and all the debris that may be present. If you have open flame, don’t leave it unattended.
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 1:25:56 PM EDT
[#1]
Im also in the same town she is writing from.  She has some nice reading.  We still have minimual power.  They are talking about rolling blackouts.  An additional thing I have done is started to freeze waterbottles since the power has ome backon.  I will never not have frozen bottles in my freezer again.
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 4:17:56 PM EDT
[#2]
That is a good read.
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 5:20:06 PM EDT
[#3]
Thanks for the link.  That's a very interesting account.  It's good that they had the sense to prep as much as they did.
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 5:26:12 PM EDT
[#4]
Insightful read.
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 5:28:15 PM EDT
[#5]
Thanks for the link...good read.
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 5:28:58 PM EDT
[#6]
Thanks for the link. So true regarding candles. Better to have a few LED lights (at least one LED head lamp) and lots of batteries.

FerFAL
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 7:04:07 PM EDT
[#7]
Several Japanese friends of mine said that the blackouts many are experiencing are intentional to some degree since they're trying to keep demand off of the damaged nuclear reactors.
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 7:38:31 PM EDT
[#8]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top