Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 3/12/2011 7:58:59 AM EDT
For those that keep liquid cash on hand, how do you store it? The reason Im asking is because I want to do this but am worried someone will break in and steal it or there will be a fire. Only other option is a fireproof safe right?  The thing is the safe could get stolen too. Do they make very small fireproof safes so that I can hide it better? Let me know what you do.

Link Posted: 3/12/2011 8:03:16 AM EDT
[#1]
My safe is bolted to the floor. Cash is in the safe with extra ammo and guns. Thieves/Burglars know they might have a limited amount of time to get in and out. They'll grab your laptop, x-box, loose cash and anything not bolted down. Even had someone grab the terrier in one case. If you are out of town and a criminal has time they might try for the safe. Most aren't moving in a team-like group unless you've been staked out.

Put it in the safe.
Link Posted: 3/12/2011 8:33:23 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 3/12/2011 8:43:31 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

I don't figure you're going to get all that many "truthful" answers to that question.

Ok so how about, how would you keep cash in your house? What is the best and safest way?
Link Posted: 3/12/2011 8:51:13 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Quoted:
I don't figure you're going to get all that many "truthful" answers to that question.

Ok so how about, how would you keep cash in your house? What is the best and safest way?

Check and see how how much cash your homeowners/renters insurance covers in the event of a fire.  
As for how, where, etc.... PERSEC.

Link Posted: 3/12/2011 10:49:02 AM EDT
[#5]
Several thousand dollars in 20's doesn't occupy much space - which means that it can be hidden just about anywhere. Even the smallest fire vault (shoebox-sized) will hold a LOT of cash.

Link Posted: 3/12/2011 11:15:02 AM EDT
[#6]
its hard  trying not to drink my liquid cash
Link Posted: 3/12/2011 11:24:34 AM EDT
[#7]
5 gal Jerry cans?

Well I put it in the gun safe... safe is alarmed and bolted... Otherwise hide in something unsuspecting littl elock boxes that are portible even if strapped to something or bolted to something... often the locking mechanisms are so simple and frail a 12 yearold with a screw driver can get into them. I'd invest in a large quality gunsafe if I were you.
Link Posted: 3/12/2011 11:55:02 AM EDT
[#8]
i keep a couple thousand in my house.

some is in the safe, but just like my guns, all are not.

some in ammo boxes under the ammo.  

some in ammo boxes jammed up in the rafters.

half is in  ammo boxes in detached garage.

i dont use this money as my personal ATM. its hard to get to on purpose.
Link Posted: 3/12/2011 12:35:09 PM EDT
[#9]
Safe bolted down in a corner out of sight. I keep enough to be able to buy anything on a gotta have cash now deal.
Link Posted: 3/12/2011 12:43:47 PM EDT
[#10]
Fire resistant safe.
Top shelf of gun safe.
Small amount in sock drawer in a box with some tie clasps, silver and 10K gold jewelry.
Figure that'll look like the score and they go on their way.

Link Posted: 3/12/2011 12:52:44 PM EDT
[#11]
Inside safe bolted to concrete pad.
Link Posted: 3/12/2011 1:17:40 PM EDT
[#12]
If they can't find it, they can't steal it.

My favorite place to keep things safe is wrapped in a scuzzy looking paper towel, in a small see-thru tupperware container, hidden in the bottom/back of the freezer. There is some small amount of fire resistance there, and no one is likely to dig thru your freezer and steal a plastic tub that has a wadded up, icky looking paper towel in it.

If you put jewelry or precious metals in there, make sure they're wrapped up in such a way that the metal won't clink if they happen to pick it up.

I like the tupperware 'cuz it's easy to get in and out of if you need to access the contents. If you plan to leave it there untouched for long periods of time, you might want to wrap it in freezer paper and label it something like "Pig's Liver - 9/5/98."
Link Posted: 3/12/2011 1:32:00 PM EDT
[#13]
LOL, We used to keep cash in the freezer. Never that much. When we began keeping more cash on hand we began keeping it in the bolted down safe. We don't keep more then $2000 in the house.
Link Posted: 3/12/2011 2:00:01 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I like the tupperware 'cuz it's easy to get in and out of if you need to access the contents.

Also, wife is probably less likely to accidentally throw out a Tupperware container than something wrapped in plastic or tin foil, next time she cleans out the freezer.

Link Posted: 3/12/2011 2:06:10 PM EDT
[#15]
I wrote this in GD for someone looking to hide a gun and some cash.  A single gang box would work just find if all you intend to put in there is cash.

$5 at Home Depot.

Go buy a 2 gang electrical Old Work plastic box, 2 receptacles, and a 2 gang cover plate.

Find a nice spot in your house, maybe behind a chair or something, install the box there.  Make sure it's not out of place.

You now have two options, you can either use the box itself to hold cash or something small, or you can simply remove the box itself and use the wall cavity as the safe, this will easily fit many handguns. Put the handguns into a plastic shopping bag and lower it into the wall with the handles of the shopping bag sticking up so it could be retrieved easily.
Link Posted: 3/12/2011 5:25:39 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I wrote this in GD for someone looking to hide a gun and some cash.  A single gang box would work just find if all you intend to put in there is cash.

$5 at Home Depot.

Go buy a 2 gang electrical Old Work plastic box, 2 receptacles, and a 2 gang cover plate.

Find a nice spot in your house, maybe behind a chair or something, install the box there.  Make sure it's not out of place.

You now have two options, you can either use the box itself to hold cash or something small, or you can simply remove the box itself and use the wall cavity as the safe, this will easily fit many handguns. Put the handguns into a plastic shopping bag and lower it into the wall with the handles of the shopping bag sticking up so it could be retrieved easily.

If you have hot air heat or AC, one extra low wall register will not look out of place.
Link Posted: 3/13/2011 4:18:28 AM EDT
[#17]
Large cinder block
Container: (PVC, Glass, whatever)
Cement into the one of holes in the cinder block
Paint one of the sides of the cinder block so you can identify it (hopefully)  if something happens to the house.
Throw it up in that attic, and forget about it
One whack with a sturdy hammer, you've got your cash

OR

Buy a threaded (both ends) piece of galvanized steel pipe. Roll up the cash tightly, wrap with a piece paper and tape it.  Place in the pipe but make sure it slides freely inside. Cap both ends.
Put the pipe in the basement among other pipes, or even secure it to a floor joist, CLOSEST to the foundation, and out of view of the room entrance.

OR

Buy one of the "False" containers that entry level dope dealers use, and keep it in the back of the fridge.  
http://cgi.ebay.com/SECRET-COMPARTMENT-HIDING-CAN-STASH-HIDDEN-SAFE-HIDE-/280549029420?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item415206762c
Link Posted: 3/13/2011 4:27:20 AM EDT
[#18]
When I was growing up, one of the kids in my neighborhood said his mom and dad hid money in the freezer.  I wonder how many kids, teachers and strangers he told.  

Link Posted: 3/13/2011 6:47:57 AM EDT
[#19]
Rolled up in a sock, stuffed down the front of my trousers.

Try to be unique.  A lot of these things have been around for eons.  I actually like the cinder block one but would stick it someplace that doesn't seem out of the ordinary like next to the basement door as a door stop.
Link Posted: 3/13/2011 7:07:26 AM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 3/13/2011 7:12:23 AM EDT
[#21]
Drill a 1" hole vertically in the top of an interior door. Wrap your money up tight. Put it in the hole. I have never known anyone to look at the top of a door for valuables.
Link Posted: 3/13/2011 7:15:52 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
For those that keep liquid cash on hand, how do you store it? The reason Im asking is because I want to do this but am worried someone will break in and steal it or there will be a fire. Only other option is a fireproof safe right?  The thing is the safe could get stolen too. Do they make very small fireproof safes so that I can hide it better? Let me know what you do.

in my fire lined 700lbs gun safe that is bolted to the floor. Been putting $100 a pay check for about the past 3 years.

J-

Link Posted: 3/13/2011 7:17:19 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Drill a 1" hole vertically in the top of an interior door. Wrap your money up tight. Put it in the hole. I have never known anyone to look at the top of a door for valuables.

You gotta be careful with this.  Most interior doors are hollow, the money could drop down and get lodged somewhere in the middle and the only way to get it out might be to break the door.  Some hollow doors have a cardboard honeycomb, this would prevent the money from falling down.
Link Posted: 3/13/2011 7:25:57 AM EDT
[#24]
If you're good with ceramic floor tiles, you put one down over a hollow spot in the slab with easy-to-remove mortar (or have a bunch of extra tile).  After a week, the new grout will match the old grout pretty well.  Cash can't be found easily without a metal detector––besides there's wire mesh in lots of slabs.  NO ONE is going to hammer up all the tile in your house looking for "maybe" cash.  Fire won't destroy it in the slab.  Hurricanes won't blow it away.  No search will find it.  Only problem is it takes you a few minutes to get to and an hour to cover up afterwards.  

I won't say whether or not I do this, but there's too much tile to look everywhere anyway... the whole dang house has tile floors.
Link Posted: 3/13/2011 7:40:03 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Quoted:

in my fire lined 700lbs gun safe that is bolted to the floor. Been putting $100 a pay check for about the past 3 years.

J-

TomJefferson's post is very important.

You just admitted to having over $15,000 in your home safe on the internet.  You made yourself a target for someone in MI.

Simple searching shows that you are 38 years old, 6 foot tall and 215lbs, you are very busy with your job (police detective) so you probably aren't home much and sometimes you get called into work at night, you live in Ypsilanti, you drive an 04 Kia Sedone.  Wow, I actually just got your name, address, and phone number too, all from a Google search of your username here.

As soon as you see this I will edit all of it out of my post.  I think you should edit your post as well, you can't be too careful.

Even if someone's username isn't linked to their true name, it's not that hard to find out who you are or where you live.  An example is using online purchasing.  Someone could buy something that you are selling to get your address, or try to sell you something.  Maybe they see you talking about a specific firearm and PM you with an offer for one at a great price.  They could also pay off someone that you did business with in the past.  

You really have to be careful with what you admit to online.

Link Posted: 3/13/2011 8:22:10 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

$5 at Home Depot.

What kind of idiot would ask a question like that?

BTW:  Thanks for the idea.
Link Posted: 3/13/2011 10:09:02 AM EDT
[#27]
Lots of people keep cash in the freezer... bad guys know this.
Link Posted: 3/13/2011 10:13:31 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

On that television show To Catch a Thief the thief always checked the fridge, in one episode he mentioned how so many people think that they are the only people to think of this.  He pulled books off of book shelves and pulled pictures away from the wall to see what was behind them as well.
Link Posted: 3/13/2011 10:47:18 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Quoted:

On that television show To Catch a Thief the thief always checked the fridge, in one episode he mentioned how so many people think that they are the only people to think of this.  He pulled books off of book shelves and pulled pictures away from the wall to see what was behind them as well.

If I wanted to hide something I might watch a show like that and think about were they don't look.
Link Posted: 3/13/2011 4:25:25 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

J-

You just admitted to having over $15,000 in your home safe on the internet.  You made yourself a target for someone in MI.

Simple searching shows that you are 38 years old, 6 foot tall and 215lbs, you are very busy with your job (police detective) so you probably aren't home much and sometimes you get called into work at night, you live in Ypsilanti, you drive an 04 Kia Sedone.  Wow, I actually just got your name, address, and phone number too, all from a Google search of your username here.

As soon as you see this I will edit all of it out of my post.  I think you should edit your post as well, you can't be too careful.

Even if someone's username isn't linked to their true name, it's not that hard to find out who you are or where you live.  An example is using online purchasing.  Someone could buy something that you are selling to get your address, or try to sell you something.  Maybe they see you talking about a specific firearm and PM you with an offer for one at a great price.  They could also pay off someone that you did business with in the past.  

Not worried but thanks for your concern.

J-

Link Posted: 3/13/2011 6:12:59 PM EDT
[#31]
floor safe......
Link Posted: 3/13/2011 7:08:47 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

J-

Dick move. BTW you haven't edited your post.
Link Posted: 3/13/2011 7:16:41 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

J-

Dick move?  Care to explain?

I didn't edit my post because jjc155 quoted it himself and said he didn't mind.

You quoted it as well, do you realize that?
Link Posted: 3/13/2011 7:22:05 PM EDT
[#34]
How about on your person, then you have it, if you need it, when you need it.
How about a safety deposit box?
Never put all your eggs in the same basket.
Link Posted: 3/13/2011 7:23:28 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

J-

TRUE...VERY TRUE
Link Posted: 3/13/2011 7:36:17 PM EDT
[#36]
Why not bury it in a watertight container in the yard?
Link Posted: 3/13/2011 8:12:01 PM EDT
[#37]
I just put the cash in my gun safe. After watching this coverage of Japan, I think keeping a couple thousand in greenbacks at home is smarter than a few ounces of gold and silver. You going to use gold at 7-11 to buy a case of water?
Link Posted: 3/13/2011 8:14:23 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
How about on your person, then you have it, if you need it, when you need it.
How about a safety deposit box?
Never put all your eggs in the same basket.

I never keep cash on me for fear of getting mugged. Mind you I can hold my own but I will be living in california in a month or so for work and will stay for 5 months, due to california's retarded gun laws I will not carry. I usually have a small amount on me at all times just in case I need it for emergencies.

Quoted:
Why not bury it in a watertight container in the yard?

I will be living in an apartment for the next 5-6 months.

Link Posted: 3/13/2011 9:29:13 PM EDT
[#39]
I know a guy who burried a significant amount of cash in a "water proof conatiner" in his yard,  fast forward a couple of years and he's going through a divorce and wants his money, He dug it up only to find out the containers had leaked and destroyed a large amount of it! 3+K.  I am not sure wht he used but it didn't work.
Link Posted: 3/13/2011 9:44:33 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

When I was growing up, one of the kids in my neighborhood said his mom and dad hid money in the freezer.  I wonder how many kids, teachers and strangers he told.  

Same here.  Best friends mom hid things in the freezer which hold everyone at school.  No so OPSEC.  She had rolls of cash behind the ice cream in plastic bags.

Link Posted: 3/13/2011 11:04:40 PM EDT
[#41]
As a volunteer firefighter for 11 years I have seen numerous house burn quite completely. I would advise to all to think a little more creatively about stashing valuables, be it firearms or cash.  Be flexible and have a plan...and let your trusted ones know.
Link Posted: 3/13/2011 11:27:57 PM EDT
[#42]
Here are pics of a friends fire safe. 8k gone. Pemco covered 500.00. He took the safe back to Costco and they accepted it.  

Link Posted: 3/13/2011 11:38:11 PM EDT
[#43]
I saw a Guy get His Credit Card Refused at Cracker Barrel and He did not have any Cash to Pay for His Meal. He was in Trouble.  That made me think about what if My Credit Card got Refused or the Credit Card System went down. I know a Few People who run small Businesses. They all keep Money at Home. They will tell you you need to keep small Bills. One's, Five's, Ten's. Not all Twenties and Hundred Dollar Bills.
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 12:19:08 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
If they can't find it, they can't steal it.

My favorite place to keep things safe is wrapped in a scuzzy looking paper towel, in a small see-thru tupperware container, hidden in the bottom/back of the freezer. There is some small amount of fire resistance there, and no one is likely to dig thru your freezer and steal a plastic tub that has a wadded up, icky looking paper towel in it.

If you put jewelry or precious metals in there, make sure they're wrapped up in such a way that the metal won't clink if they happen to pick it up.

I like the tupperware 'cuz it's easy to get in and out of if you need to access the contents. If you plan to leave it there untouched for long periods of time, you might want to wrap it in freezer paper and label it something like "Pig's Liver - 9/5/98."

I've been robbed enough times to tell you this will not work.  Scumbags will have no problem popping the top off every container and dumping it on the floor.  They will flip mattresses and dump dresser on the floor, smash drawers, etc.  They know where to look and take no care in doing it.  It only takes a few minutes to dump all your flour, sugar, etc on the floor to find stuff stashed inside.
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 12:26:27 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

J-

Disinformation.  Google searches can be used for this.
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 8:06:00 AM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

I've been robbed enough times to tell you this will not work. Scumbags will have no problem popping the top off every container and dumping it on the floor. They will flip mattresses and dump dresser on the floor, smash drawers, etc. They know where to look and take no care in doing it. It only takes a few minutes to dump all your flour, sugar, etc on the floor to find stuff stashed inside.

That was something that was really impressive to see on "It takes a thief" on the Discovery channel. 5 minutes and the house looked like a tornado had gone through it.

Everyone should give an episode or two a watch.
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 8:13:38 AM EDT
[#47]
An alternative to keep all of the money in a safe is to keep it in plain site.  

http://www.brickhousesecurity.com/fake-can-hidden-safe.html

Link Posted: 3/14/2011 8:41:20 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Quoted:

How much cash are we talking?

If my house burns down the amount of cash I will lose is trivial compared to emotional trauma and sentimental losses.

Thieves who know they have time will strip the place bare anyway, including the wires.

Therefore I hide it in plain sight.  A few envelopes (pick a number known to you) with relatively small amounts in each one, hidden amongst normal clutter.  Smash and grab thieves are going to grab the stereo, computer, tools from the garage, framed prints, and might try for the gunsafe.  I am betting on them not sorting through something like pile of cell phone bills or my wife's Lori Wick paperbacks looking for the envelope that has a couple hundred bucks in it.

A piece of PVC pipe or a mason jar in the yard works too.
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 10:04:32 AM EDT
[#49]
A piece of PVC pipe or a mason jar in the yard works too.

I like this idea. I would think that having a garden in the backyard would be an ideal place to put that jar ot pvc pipe as long as you didnt turn it up next year when you are trying to plant your tomatoes
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 8:17:39 PM EDT
[#50]

+

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top