Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/11/2011 11:48:18 PM EDT
We got to a place we haven't visited since this time 2 years ago.

The '92 Ford truck wasn't started for the 2 years. There was no stabilizer in the tank, the battery was disconnected and on a 4 amp Vector maintainer/charger. Fuel hadn't been disturbed for the 2 years.

I cranked it and it started up in about 2 1/2 seconds. I timed it this time. A few years ago it did the same thing after about 2 1/2 years of sitting IIRC.

Needed some water to drink with some Kasugai roasted hot green peas we stashed, dated 2006. There were some in an open bag from 2 yrs ago on my PC table and I started eating them, they were a little 'off' but sorta OK. My SO brought some in a closed bag dated 2006 and they are fine.

These peas are REALLY hot and I needed some water to wash them down. She found a gallon or so Walmart plastic container [ triangle 1  or PETE plastic] in the fridge that she had put Reverse Osmosis water in 2 yrs ago. It tastes like we just made it.

Thought I'd share the info.

Link Posted: 3/12/2011 1:50:58 AM EDT
[#1]
I recently put a hot battery in a '93 Bronoc that has not moved since 2006.
No stabilizer.
Fired up, coughed a couple times and ran fine.
Topped it off ASAP with fresh fuel.

Did the same with a '90 F150, that had set even longer, although it ran much rougher until I got fresh fuel.
It was the sheer stickiness/funk in the interiors,and the mice EVERYWHERE,that was more of an issue than fuel.
Link Posted: 3/13/2011 10:41:13 AM EDT
[#2]
Last night I started a small diesel John Deere tractor that has sat since 2002 IIRC. Hasn't moved.

I was startled when it started before I could even begin timing the cranking.

Tomorrow I'll be starting a Case backhoe that hasn't run since 2005.

Hopefully...  
Link Posted: 3/13/2011 10:48:57 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

The '92 Ford truck wasn't started for the 2 years. There was no stabilizer in the tank, the battery was disconnected and on a 4 amp Vector maintainer/charger. Fuel hadn't been disturbed for the 2 years.

I cranked it and it started up in about 2 1/2 seconds. I timed it this time. A few years ago it did the same thing after about 2 1/2 years of sitting IIRC.

Needed some water to drink with some Kasugai roasted hot green peas we stashed, dated 2006. There were some in an open bag from 2 yrs ago on my PC table and I started eating them, they were a little 'off' but sorta OK. My SO brought some in a closed bag dated 2006 and they are fine.

These peas are REALLY hot and I needed some water to wash them down. She found a gallon or so Walmart plastic container [ triangle 1  or PETE plastic] in the fridge that she had put Reverse Osmosis water in 2 yrs ago. It tastes like we just made it.

Do you know if it was straight gas or 10% ethanol?
Link Posted: 3/13/2011 10:51:09 AM EDT
[#4]
That fuel must not have contained ethanol.  Up here we're running into serious problem with the fuel.  It starts to phase seperate after only a month or so.  It destroys carbs, fuel tanks, fuel lines, etc.  Bad stuff.
Link Posted: 3/13/2011 11:18:52 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Do you know if it was straight gas or 10% ethanol?

It's fuel from the nuts and fruits state so I think it does...

Link Posted: 5/3/2011 11:52:56 AM EDT
[#6]
Truck still running fine.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top