Page / 38
Link Posted: 10/21/2018 8:41:02 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By chalco:

I'll give it a shot.

ETA: that worked. Thanks!
View Quote
They tend to expand and contract... I have one that now leaks because of this, I have a ton of the old GI cans, I would never again buy a "NATO" can.

Rancher
Link Posted: 11/24/2018 10:57:18 PM EDT
[Last Edit: bsf] [#2]
Lucky 8 Offroad Equipment out of New York is currently selling what it is advertising as Wavian 20L Jerry cans at competitive prices directly through their website and through their ebay store LK8parts.  I ordered some red 20L cans (GJC20R), each of which included green, non-CARB nozzles (GJC002), for $54.40 each (shipped) from the ebay store.  The parts numbers match up to the Valpro numbers on Atlantic British Parts’ (AB) website.  The ebay prices are tiered based on # purchased.  There are not many of the red cans w/ nozzles left, but more of the cans w/o nozzles.  The company (non-ebay) webstore has some options that differ from the ebay store, including pairs of green 20L Wavians (GJC20) for $82.  Not certain if those get free BF shipping.  After reading through a ton of posts here, I decide I wanted to go with Valpro/Wavian products as opposed to the GELG’s from Deutsche Optik.  Additionally, I am ok w/ a small upcharge for red (gasoline).

I suspect the red units I ordered from Lucky 8 are the same as the $79.99 units at AB, but only with the green, Valpro, non-CARB nozzle substituted for the red, Valpro, CARB nozzle.

ETA
I suspect, as do others, the Midwest Can brand metal, Jerry can w/ the screw bung is also manufactured by Valpro.  Interestingly, Valpro manufactures a galvanized steel screw cap that I strongly suspect fits the Midwest Can.  I have not found a US source for it though.
Link Posted: 11/25/2018 10:35:28 AM EDT
[#3]
$82 for 2 shipped is a great deal - and they ship to PA :)

I thought I had enough but I just had to order 2 more.

Thanks!
Link Posted: 11/28/2018 1:49:14 PM EDT
[#4]
Thoughts on the best way to secure and protect cans in a toolbox? I tried some cheap padding in between them but it disintegrated and I don't like them rubbing and bouncing against each other offroad. I keep 5 full 20 s in the box.
Coat them in bed liner?
Thanks
Link Posted: 11/28/2018 2:00:03 PM EDT
[#5]
Thoughts on the best way to secure and protect cans in a toolbox? I tried some cheap padding in between them but it disintegrated and I don't like them rubbing and bouncing against each other offroad. I keep 5 full 20 s in the box.
Coat them in bed liner?
Thanks
Link Posted: 11/28/2018 7:33:28 PM EDT
[Last Edit: TailHunter] [#6]
Originally Posted By BUCK1911:
Coat them in bed liner?
Thanks
View Quote
Carpet samples/squares

I keep 2 cans in my tool box.
Link Posted: 11/28/2018 8:33:56 PM EDT
[Last Edit: EXPY37] [#7]
Anyone know where to get the non-OEM metal [aluminum] cap to fit these cans?

Great cans...

Link Posted: 11/28/2018 8:59:03 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By TailHunter:

Carpet samples/squares

View Quote
Great idea I'll hit the carpet store dumpster on my way home from work.
Link Posted: 11/28/2018 9:05:49 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By TailHunter:

Carpet samples/squares

View Quote
Great idea I'll hit the carpet store dumpster on my way home from work.
Link Posted: 11/28/2018 11:04:54 PM EDT
[#10]
Mine arrived today.  Appear to have been securely packaged.  UPS took good care of the packages, especially given the ridiculous volume they are currently handling.  Only completely unwrapped 1 – can and 1 – nozzle.  Both appear to be as advertised with “Made in Latvia” product stickers.  The can has “Wavian” embossed in the expected spot on the can and “Petrol Highly Flammable” embossed on the other side.  Happy with the secure packaging; fast shipping; accurate product descriptions; and prices.  Was not familiar w/ Lucky 8 Offroad Equipment, but everything seems legitimate.  I may upload pics, but it could be a few days.  Will definitely update if I encounter anything problems after unwrapping of the rest.
Link Posted: 11/29/2018 8:59:43 AM EDT
[Last Edit: bsf] [#11]
AllMakes4x4 is a UK-based wholesaler and exporter.

Link Posted: 11/29/2018 11:17:21 AM EDT
[Last Edit: SR712] [#12]
Coat them in bed liner?
Thanks
View Quote
You could try using some of those little rubber or silicone self-adhesive pucks that they use under things like furniture. You will still have the problem, as I see it, no matter what you use between them... if they are not fastened down and therefore can rub, you will get wear spots on them over time. However, rubber rubbing would be better than steel on steel.

Rubber Pads on Amazon
Not necessarily these, but something similar. I've gotten little 3/4" clear silicone circles from Home Depot in the furniture pad section. They might work if placed in the right spots.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 11/29/2018 12:38:52 PM EDT
[#13]
I may have to figure out a secure cage that holds them tight. Or a couple of 4x4s locking them in place...
I had a few cheap chinese cans that I got for free and the seems all busted pinhole leaks bouncing around in the tool box and I expect better from my wavians but I want to take care of them.
Link Posted: 12/21/2018 10:01:25 PM EDT
[#14]
Ordered a 5 – pack of replacement seals for Wavian cans from Atlantic British’s ebay store.  These are not for the spouts.

Pack of 5 Wavian GJC99 4.8mm Jerry Can Gaskets - Rubber Seals for Jerry Cans

Interestingly, they are also branded Allmakes 4x4 like the cans I ordered through Lucky 8 Parts.

Link Posted: 12/21/2018 11:26:53 PM EDT
[#15]
What is the latest on nozzles for the scepter mfc's? Are people just making their own for the most part or are the ones made by scepter better now since the original post?
Link Posted: 12/22/2018 10:03:08 AM EDT
[#16]
I have been using the NATO cans since summer - I have 5 now.

I can see why Gov. Wolfe saw fit to ban them in PA - they seal completely and they pour without spilling a drop.

I have one each of the spouts. I really like the corrugated (Donkey dick) style-. You can point it straight down into a fill spout or into a vehicle, then tilt the can up.

The spout clips on top of the cans are so-so - they don't hold well in rough conditions. I have plastic plugs in the small ends of my spouts to keep dirt out. I haven't found a good solution to cover the gasket end while they are clipped to the top of the can.  I may try to 3D print something.
Link Posted: 12/24/2018 3:36:54 PM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By Lost-Drive-In:

I can see why Gov. Wolfe saw fit to ban them in PA - they seal completely and they pour without spilling a drop.

I have one each of the spouts. I really like the corrugated (Donkey dick) style-. You can point it straight down into a fill spout or into a vehicle, then tilt the can up.

The spout clips on top of the cans are so-so - they don't hold well in rough conditions. I have plastic plugs in the small ends of my spouts to keep dirt out. I haven't found a good solution to cover the gasket end while they are clipped to the top of the can.  I may try to 3D print something.
View Quote
Danged Anti_Environmentalists...
Link Posted: 12/24/2018 7:44:27 PM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By EXPY37:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By EXPY37:
Originally Posted By Lost-Drive-In:

Have you used an "EPA Approved" can? They are terrible.

The Nato cans seal tight and they don't spill. I can't see how they could create any more emissions than an "approved" can. Actually, since filling a tank is so much faster, I expect there are fewer hydrocarbon emissions, net.

I actually consider myself an environmentalist. I'm active in a couple of environmental organizations. I am, however, opposed to stupid. Like banning effective gas cans so that people can only buy ineffective chinese made crap.
Link Posted: 12/27/2018 12:47:30 AM EDT
[#19]
Today I scored a 1952-dated USGI steel fuel can at a local flea market for $27.50 (After Christmas sale!). It has a few layers of paint outside, and is rusty inside (surface rust, not flakes). I can strip the paint and clean / coat the inside of the can, but without reading 32 pages of posts, where can I get parts for this can? I need a gasket for the bung hole, and would like a nozzle and a mounting rack. TIA.
Link Posted: 12/27/2018 10:16:00 AM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By Glynn863:
Today I scored a 1952-dated USGI steel fuel can at a local flea market for $27.50 (After Christmas sale!). It has a few layers of paint outside, and is rusty inside (surface rust, not flakes). I can strip the paint and clean / coat the inside of the can, but without reading 32 pages of posts, where can I get parts for this can? I need a gasket for the bung hole, and would like a nozzle and a mounting rack. TIA.
View Quote
Gaskets are readily available on Amazon. I haven't seen the GI "Donkey Dick" spouts for sale for years - maybe ebay?

Around here you paid to much - single cans without rust go for $15-$20. I wouldn't buy a rusty one.
Link Posted: 8/31/2019 6:26:47 PM EDT
[#21]
I have 6- MFC. I need new caps. Well maybe the viton gasket and the round disk thing in the cap. I can make a nozzle from threads where plumbing parts are used.

Any good places to get MFC caps or the parts?
Link Posted: 9/1/2019 10:09:02 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Beowulf] [#22]
Originally Posted By zoe17:
I have 6- MFC. I need new caps. Well maybe the viton gasket and the round disk thing in the cap. I can make a nozzle from threads where plumbing parts are used.

Any good places to get MFC caps or the parts?
View Quote
These guys might be able to help.
https://jagmte.com/collections/scepter-mfc-accessories

You might also try Scepter.  I know they won't sell you a new MFC here in the US but they might sell parts.
Link Posted: 9/2/2019 5:47:51 PM EDT
[#23]
Anyone know where a guy could pickup 4 Red Valpro/Wavian 5 gal cans?

Also is the "Donkey d*ck" nozzle? Spout

I have 4 OD green cans that I bought in 2015 that work great but I don't want some yahoo reporting me for filling green cans with Gas

So I'm looking for 4 Red cans, can anyone help a brother out?

I also just found the invoice:

"5 Gallon NATO Jerry Can 20L Army Military Metal Steel Liquid Storage Green", I bought 4 for $156 shipped lol
Link Posted: 9/3/2019 7:05:38 AM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By PA-Minuteman:
Anyone know where a guy could pickup 4 Red Valpro/Wavian 5 gal cans?

Also is the "Donkey d*ck" nozzle? Spout

I have 4 OD green cans that I bought in 2015 that work great but I don't want some yahoo reporting me for filling green cans with Gas

So I'm looking for 4 Red cans, can anyone help a brother out?

I also just found the invoice:

"5 Gallon NATO Jerry Can 20L Army Military Metal Steel Liquid Storage Green", I bought 4 for $156 shipped lol
View Quote
Any reason you can’t just paint the ones you have?  I did 4 of mine for the reason you’re talking about.

If you just want new red cans then I think you’re only option is to buy CARB compliant.  These are expensive because they have to be sold with the nozzle.  You should shop around but prices are probably going to be pretty close everywhere.

http://lexingtoncontainercompanysonlinestore.mybigcommerce.com/jerry-fuel-can/
Link Posted: 10/15/2019 4:29:09 PM EDT
[#25]
Need a few more cans has anyone seen any deals?
Link Posted: 10/15/2019 5:27:08 PM EDT
[#26]
View Quote
Gelg cans
Link Posted: 10/15/2019 7:54:19 PM EDT
[#27]
Originally Posted By zload:
Gelg cans
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By zload:
Gelg cans
Thanks
Are these GTG?
Link Posted: 10/15/2019 8:15:30 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Eyeore1966] [#28]
No personal experience but I had read this earlier and saw them advertised recently.

Gelg vs Valpro

10/22/19 ETA:

@BUCK1911

I ordered 2 of the Gelg cans along with a rack to mount one on my trailer.  They appear to be functionally equivalent to my Wavian cans.  The weld patterns on the handle are as described in the linked post i.e. spot weld vs continuous weld but as noted I don't think it impacts the utility, handles on my two were fine, no gaps noted in carrying them.  Lock pins were simple spring hair pin type as compared to the rotating style on my Waivan cans.

Also got a Coleman Surplus catalog today listing 1950s era NATO surplus cans in "unused - never filled" condition for $30 plus shipping, they appear to be a little rough on exterior finish and in stock as of today...

Coleman's
Link Posted: 1/19/2020 4:03:15 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Skopsko07734] [#29]
Has anyone seen 1 gallon NATO gas cans for sale?
Link Posted: 1/19/2020 4:15:50 AM EDT
[Last Edit: aeroworksxp] [#30]
I have this setup. Except the cans are green and different make. But looks same.  It leaks all over the place with the spout. From where it connects to the can. It's on tight too. Maybe I need to double up the gasket? Happens on 3 different cans and just as many spouts.
Link Posted: 1/19/2020 2:59:44 PM EDT
[#31]
Originally Posted By Skopsko07734:
View Quote
Atlantic British, Ltd. has them. 1.3 gallon. Other suppliers might have them, too. I bought one about 10 years ago.
https://www.roverparts.com/Parts/GJC005

Link Posted: 1/22/2020 11:02:28 PM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 2/24/2020 1:14:19 PM EDT
[Last Edit: ToddWW] [#33]
I have 8 of the original deutsche optik cans from ~10 years ago.
(in 2009, non-wide mouth, I  know because I ordered again in 2010, and they e-mailed letting me know they were NOT the same, and I canceled that order)

My dogs have decided to chew the nozzle

Does anyone know if the current items on deutscheoptik.com fit my style can?
I recall they went to a wider-mouth vs. my narrower, then got a new supplier, but I haven't kept up.

Where can I buy replacement O-Ring for my cans, and new Nozzles?
Link Posted: 2/24/2020 3:00:03 PM EDT
[#34]
Originally Posted By Skopsko07734:
View Quote
You need to search for 5 liter cans. 20 liter cans are a little more than 5 gallons. 5 liter cans are 1.3 gallons
Link Posted: 2/25/2020 7:35:10 AM EDT
[#35]
Originally Posted By ToddWW:
I have 8 of the original deutsche optik cans from ~10 years ago.
(in 2009, non-wide mouth, I  know because I ordered again in 2010, and they e-mailed letting me know they were NOT the same, and I canceled that order)

My dogs have decided to chew the nozzle

Does anyone know if the current items on deutscheoptik.com fit my style can?
I recall they went to a wider-mouth vs. my narrower, then got a new supplier, but I haven't kept up.

Where can I buy replacement O-Ring for my cans, and new Nozzles?
View Quote
You need to find out who made the cans you have.  Deutscheoptik has, at various times, sold cans by Valpro (Wavian), Gelg and maybe others.  The spouts and "O' rings may or may not be compatible between brands.  As well, you may need different gaskets for the spouts and cans.  Maybe post a picture of any writing on the can?
Link Posted: 3/10/2020 7:37:59 AM EDT
[#36]
Any pics please of cans in the tool box setups? I’d love to see this.
Link Posted: 3/10/2020 9:34:21 PM EDT
[#37]
I have two laying on their side with the spout "up" in my tool box. I put carpet squares on the bottom and sides of the box and one in between the cans. Both of my cans are diesel, so indefinite storage. It came in handy one day on the way home from work when I ran out of fuel with a half tank and no where near a gas station. Apparently, the fuel pickup can break halfway, who knew?
Link Posted: 3/10/2020 9:45:31 PM EDT
[#38]
Had another NATO can fail, this time in the garage of our other house. Seam apparently developed a small pinhole.
Link Posted: 3/11/2020 7:35:38 AM EDT
[#39]
So after 32 pages what’s the pick for a great fuel can that seams don’t leak?
Link Posted: 3/11/2020 10:44:15 AM EDT
[#40]
Originally Posted By alphabavo:
Had another NATO can fail, this time in the garage of our other house. Seam apparently developed a small pinhole.
View Quote
Another?  Who made the cans?  Chinese or did you just let them rust out?
Link Posted: 3/11/2020 10:45:34 AM EDT
[#41]
Originally Posted By DOG556:
So after 32 pages what’s the pick for a great fuel can that seams don’t leak?
View Quote
That's what the 32 pages talk about.

I like Wavian for a metal can.
Link Posted: 3/11/2020 10:59:11 AM EDT
[#42]
Originally Posted By Beowulf:
View All Quotes
No internal rust whatsoever. I believe they were german.
Link Posted: 3/11/2020 2:54:13 PM EDT
[#43]

View Quote
Well that sucks.  You don't often hear about problems with the European cans.
Link Posted: 3/11/2020 2:56:32 PM EDT
[#44]
View All Quotes

One of them appears to have developed a pinch from flexing with temperature swings. It was on the side of the can towards the center.
Link Posted: 3/11/2020 3:54:32 PM EDT
[#45]

One of them appears to have developed a pinch from flexing with temperature swings. It was on the side of the can towards the center.
View Quote
Ouch, I guess you do see some wild temperatures swings in AZ.  Still, they survived North Africa with the Wehrmacht, you’d hope they could survive Arizona.
Link Posted: 3/14/2020 1:00:49 AM EDT
[#46]
Any sources for the plastic cap flange for Scepter cans? All I'm finding is aluminum ones. Have the plastic ones disappeared?
Link Posted: 3/14/2020 8:16:12 PM EDT
[#47]
I have a Blitz plastic can that has a seam split at the top on the handle.  Can it be repaired or is it junk?
Link Posted: 3/18/2020 1:28:44 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Boomer] [#48]
Originally Posted By Shiff:
Any sources for the plastic cap flange for Scepter cans? All I'm finding is aluminum ones. Have the plastic ones disappeared?
View Quote
https://www.dstactical.com/scepter-mfc-flange.html

I was just in their store last week. They usually have various MFCs, MWCs, spare parts and accessories available. Shipping to the US is $$$, though. They for sure won’t ship MFCs to the US, but I think parts are okay.

Now that I think about it, maybe I should buy a bunch of that stuff and sell it here in the US.
Link Posted: 3/20/2020 9:12:01 PM EDT
[#49]
@amos1909
@beowulf
I know it’s a long shot, but Any word or source for a spout that fits the tut cans?
I never realized they weren’t the same as the wavian cans I have.
I went to use one of my tut cans for the first time tonight and dang if the spouts i have used with my wavians don’t fit.
Any help from yourselves or anyone else would be hugely appreciated.

Originally Posted By amos1909:

I believe that I have both GELG and TUT cans. I apologize,  I thought the Wavian was the best.  My TBI'ed brain is really struggling.  The Nameda and Exelon are not working as well as they used to in years past.  I'll do some more research.  

Thank you for pointing me to the correct pages.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By amos1909:

Ohio Prep sold GELG and TUT cans, both of which are manufactured in Poland.  Apparently some of them work with Wavian spouts and some don't.  If you go back and read the last 3 or 4 pages of this thread there's some discussion about it and some pictures that might help you figure it out.  

I'm just curious but why are you looking to buy the Wavian safety spout?  Not many people have anything nice to say about them.

I believe that I have both GELG and TUT cans. I apologize,  I thought the Wavian was the best.  My TBI'ed brain is really struggling.  The Nameda and Exelon are not working as well as they used to in years past.  I'll do some more research.  

Thank you for pointing me to the correct pages.

Link Posted: 3/21/2020 7:35:08 AM EDT
[#50]
Originally Posted By savage_winchester:
@amos1909
@beowulf
I know it’s a long shot, but Any word or source for a spout that fits the tut cans?
I never realized they weren’t the same as the wavian cans I have.
I went to use one of my tut cans for the first time tonight and dang if the spouts i have used with my wavians don’t fit.
Any help from yourselves or anyone else would be hugely appreciated.

View Quote

I'm not positive but I think TUT uses the same spout as the old Gelg (both Polish manufacture).  

Cheapest I could find if you want to give it a try.

https://www.jerrycan.com/shop/gelg-jerry-can-flexible-olive-drab-metal-pouring-spout/

Good luck and please post the results if you decide to try it.
Page / 38
Tacked FUEL CAN ORACLE (Page 32 of 38)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top