Site Notices
Tacked FUEL CAN ORACLE (Page 31 of 38)
Page / 38
Link Posted: 5/29/2018 9:34:02 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By SR712:
Amos-

PSA- Don't forget, the Super Siphon is still the preferred method of transferring from cans for many members here. It, of course, fits all cans, and is able to empty a can in a very short time. I have both Super Siphon and nozzles, and have yet to use the nozzles. Although, I pretty much just empty a can into the truck.
View Quote
What he said.  I primarily use my super siphons for transferring fuel.  The cans I bought from Ohio prep and supply do not use my nozzles for the cans I purchased from Old Grouch.
Link Posted: 5/29/2018 1:27:45 PM EDT
[#2]
Has anyone tried the Deutsche Optik jerry can rack?

https://deutscheoptik.com/20-l-jerry-can-wall-or-vehicle-rack.html

I'd like to be able to mount two cans in my truck bed for when I'm doing long trips.

I have four red cans for gas, and four surplus (German) green cans with a yellow cap for diesel.  I'd like to plus up my amount of gas before hurricane season.  During Harvey, we used something like 12 gallons of gas for the Honda EU2000i during our time without electricity to power a window unit air conditioner and keep the fridge cold.

I read the recommendation somewhere here about painting bedliner on the bottom of the cans to help prevent rust via condensation.  I just recently put my cans up on a shelf to prevent that, but some of them have had the paint wear off, and have some surface rust.

Now to read through this whole thread.
Link Posted: 5/29/2018 1:38:17 PM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By BUCK1911:
I need to pick up some more cans has anyone seen any deals out there?
BA 4 cans for $169 is the best I have seen.
Thanks
View Quote
DO deal.  Free shipping on four.
Link Posted: 5/29/2018 1:59:57 PM EDT
[Last Edit: amos1909] [#4]
Amos-

PSA- Don't forget, the Super Siphon is still the preferred method of transferring from cans for many members here. It, of course, fits all cans, and is able to empty a can in a very short time. I have both Super Siphon and nozzles, and have yet to use the nozzles. Although, I pretty much just empty a can into the truck.
View Quote
Thanks.  I have three but struggle using them.  All we have are 15 passenger vans and I really struggle doing it with one arm and hand that just don't work right.

I am open to pointers.
Link Posted: 5/29/2018 2:05:38 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By Beowulf:

Your very welcome, sorry there wasn't a better outcome for you.
View Quote
Just re-looked and only one of my cans will not work.  The rest are the non-tube air vents.  The one I look at yesterday happen to be the one that would not work.

Thanks again.
Link Posted: 5/29/2018 2:29:19 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By amos1909:

Thanks.  I have three but struggle using them.  All we have are 15 passenger vans and I really struggle doing it with one arm and hand that just don't work right.

I am open to pointers.
View Quote
Do the vans have roof racks? If so, maybe you can fabricate a holder for the can that will hang off the rack?
Link Posted: 5/29/2018 3:16:51 PM EDT
[#7]
Do the vans have roof racks? If so, maybe you can fabricate a holder for the can that will hang off the rack?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

I am open to pointers.
You could also rig up a strap that hangs off the gutter.
I haven't used a nozzle in years.
Link Posted: 5/29/2018 3:26:24 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By JAG2955:
Has anyone tried the Deutsche Optik jerry can rack?

https://deutscheoptik.com/20-l-jerry-can-wall-or-vehicle-rack.html

I'd like to be able to mount two cans in my truck bed for when I'm doing long trips.

I have four red cans for gas, and four surplus (German) green cans with a yellow cap for diesel.  I'd like to plus up my amount of gas before hurricane season.  During Harvey, we used something like 12 gallons of gas for the Honda EU2000i during our time without electricity to power a window unit air conditioner and keep the fridge cold.

I read the recommendation somewhere here about painting bedliner on the bottom of the cans to help prevent rust via condensation.  I just recently put my cans up on a shelf to prevent that, but some of them have had the paint wear off, and have some surface rust.

Now to read through this whole thread.
View Quote
I've never used a rack but if I did I think I'd want one like this.
https://www.amazon.com/Style-Steel-Jerry-Holder-Liter/dp/B00VVFTDVK

If you scroll through the pictures on the left you'll see the top strap comes down over the lid.  This can be locked with a padlock, preventing anyone from opening the can.
Link Posted: 5/29/2018 3:32:05 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Beowulf] [#9]

I am open to pointers.
View Quote
Whether you use a siphon or the spout you're going to need to be able to lift the can up to the level of the fill point.  Is this going to be a problem for you?  A full can is going to weigh about 40 pounds.
Link Posted: 5/29/2018 4:00:33 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By Beowulf:

I've never used a rack but if I did I think I'd want one like this.
https://www.amazon.com/Style-Steel-Jerry-Holder-Liter/dp/B00VVFTDVK

If you scroll through the pictures on the left you'll see the top strap comes down over the lid.  This can be locked with a padlock, preventing anyone from opening the can.  
View Quote
Actually, the side opening rack was preferable to me, as I've got a tonneau cover on my truck.

Though I could possibly mount that one on its back.
Link Posted: 5/29/2018 5:16:07 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By cornhskr:
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By cornhskr:
I need to pick up some more cans has anyone seen any deals out there?
BA 4 cans for $169 is the best I have seen.
Thanks
I'm not familiar with deutscheoptik.com are they GTG?
Link Posted: 5/30/2018 8:27:02 AM EDT
[#12]

I'm not familiar with deutscheoptik.com are they GTG?
View Quote
If you’re asking if deutscheoptik is gtg as a vendor the answer is yes, they’ve been around selling cans for years.  They have an interesting catalog of odd and unusual stuff.  Not sure anyone needs any of it but it’s odd and unusual and fun to browse.

If you’re asking specifically about the NATO cans it looks like they’re selling late model Polish cans.  By everything that’s been written here lately they appear to be decent cans.  The Wavian’s that AB sells are technically the better can but whether that has any value to you is going to depend on what you’re going to be doing with them and how much you value the difference in price.
Link Posted: 5/30/2018 8:30:01 AM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By JAG2955:
Actually, the side opening rack was preferable to me, as I've got a tonneau cover on my truck.

Though I could possibly mount that one on its back.
View Quote
My point was to get one that had a way to secure the can against tampering and theft.  There are other makers that offer security and different mounting methods.
Link Posted: 6/1/2018 8:11:14 PM EDT
[#14]
I decided to really take a look at the cans I got from Ohio Prep and Supply.  Imprinted into the metal on the side of the can it says "not for fuel use".  Would that be an indication of a fake Nato can?
Link Posted: 6/1/2018 8:26:33 PM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By fighter443:
I decided to really take a look at the cans I got from Ohio Prep and Supply.  Imprinted into the metal on the side of the can it says "not for fuel use".  Would that be an indication of a fake Nato can?
View Quote
Yes they stuck a lot of people with those.
Link Posted: 6/2/2018 9:02:43 AM EDT
[Last Edit: SR712] [#16]
View Quote
Not necessarily. Because they are not CARB compliant, I think in order to import and sell in the US, it is smart of them to label as such. Some are stamped, some are stickers. They are sold everywhere else in the world as fuel cans.
Link Posted: 6/2/2018 8:44:35 PM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By bassackwards:
View Quote
no, they stamp that in to get around CARB rules. don't have to follow them if they "aren't meant to hold fuel". just like AR braces aren't meant to be shouldered.
Link Posted: 6/2/2018 10:34:48 PM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By steviesterno16:
no, they stamp that in to get around CARB rules. don't have to follow them if they "aren't meant to hold fuel". just like AR braces aren't meant to be shouldered.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By steviesterno16:
They sold products that did not match their photos "stuck" is appropriate.
Link Posted: 6/2/2018 10:53:34 PM EDT
[Last Edit: SR712] [#19]
They sold products that did not match their photos "stuck" is appropriate.
View Quote
That might be, however the Not For Fuel stamp was not part of the deception. Most of the green cans now sold have this on them. Have for years.
Link Posted: 6/2/2018 11:38:36 PM EDT
[#20]

That might be, however the Not For Fuel stamp was not part of the deception. Most of the green cans now sold have this on them. Have for years.
View Quote
They ones from ab only have a sticker. But kerosene and diesel aren't necessarily fuels
Link Posted: 6/3/2018 11:38:57 AM EDT
[Last Edit: amos1909] [#21]

View Quote
I haven't thought about doing that. I'd have to think about it and see if I can find a way to do that. We have Chevy 3500 Express vans and if memory serves me they have a little gutter or trough that runs alone the side of it. That might work if I could figure out a way to put something together. Thank you for the input
Link Posted: 6/3/2018 11:43:04 AM EDT
[#22]
I'm a big person and have no problem lifting can up to pour gas a nozzle. My problem is trying to hold a can and siphon it off with just one arm that works.

I should say that I had no problem lifting a gas can up until the last couple of days. With the heart and muscle problems of the last couple of days I'm not certain if I'll even be able to pick a can up much less put gas into a gas tank with it.
Link Posted: 6/3/2018 11:48:50 AM EDT
[Last Edit: BUCK1911] [#23]
I haven't thought about doing that. I'd have to think about it and see if I can find a way to do that. We have Chevy 3500 Express vans and if memory serves me they have a little gutter or trough that runs alone the side of it. That might work if I could figure out a way to put something together. Thank you for the input
View Quote
I have ratchet straps like this in my tool kit and the hook fits nicely in the gutter and the handle acts like a hook th hank the can on.

But I scratched my paint with the can so I need to add a piece of carpet to my kit.
Link Posted: 6/3/2018 12:57:21 PM EDT
[#24]
I'm a big person and have no problem lifting can up to pour gas a nozzle. My problem is trying to hold a can and siphon it off with just one arm that works.

I should say that I had no problem lifting a gas can up until the last couple of days. With the heart and muscle problems of the last couple of days I'm not certain if I'll even be able to pick a can up much less put gas into a gas tank with it.
View Quote
Would it be possible to carry a small folding step stool?  The 2 or 3 step ladder kind.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Cosco-3-Step-Big-Step-Folding-Stool-200lb-17-3-4w-x-28d-x-45-5-8h-Platinum/34015058?athcpid=34015058&athpgid=athenaItemPage&athcgid=null&athznid=tic&athieid=v0&athstid=CS002&athguid=466001f5-3814acd5-f26756328d6f2695&athena=true

Lifting the can up and setting it on the top step of the ladder would allow you to use the super siphon efficiently.  You could accomplish the entire thing one handed if you needed to.
Link Posted: 6/14/2018 2:52:31 PM EDT
[#25]

View Quote
Have you tried a Gas Tapper?  I just ordered on last week, waiting for it to get here.
Link Posted: 6/14/2018 3:06:44 PM EDT
[#26]
I have 6 Jerry cans that I bought from Old Grouch Surplus many years ago.  4 of them work fine, but 2 leak around the spout/can seal when I pour.

The caps don't leak, but I noticed with these two cans, that it does take less force to close them, and less force to lock the spout.  I did try bending the clips down a little, but they just bend back up when clamping the spout, and still leak.

Any idea what's going on?
Link Posted: 6/14/2018 4:01:54 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Beowulf] [#27]
Originally Posted By back40:
I have 6 Jerry cans that I bought from Old Grouch Surplus many years ago.  4 of them work fine, but 2 leak around the spout/can seal when I pour.

The caps don't leak, but I noticed with these two cans, that it does take less force to close them, and less force to lock the spout.  I did try bending the clips down a little, but they just bend back up when clamping the spout, and still leak.

Any idea what's going on?
View Quote
Please stop bending stuff.  Did this just start recently or has this always been a problem?

Two possibilities come to mind.

1 - Maybe your gaskets are getting old.  Right now, due to tolerance stacking, two of your cans are leaking but it may just be a matter of time before they all do.  Replacing the gaskets in the cans and the spout may fix the problem.

2 - It could be that on the two cans that leak, the flange that the gasket sits against may be damaged.  It should be perfectly flat.  It wouldn’t take much, especially if the gaskets are starting to get old.  You should be able to check this against your cans that work.
Link Posted: 7/4/2018 5:58:13 PM EDT
[#28]

I am open to pointers.
View Quote
One solution would be to get the five or ten gallon size. Another would be to pull up to a table or shelf about the same height.
Link Posted: 7/7/2018 12:16:52 PM EDT
[#29]
What is the siphon that you guys recommend? I googled super siphon and got a couple of different results. One with a bulb and one with a little metal end that you shake.
Thanks
Link Posted: 7/7/2018 12:23:58 PM EDT
[#30]
I use these. They are faster than you would think.
Amazon Product
  • 6' tube with ball/spring 1-way valve inside a solid copper fitting
  • Just insert tube in liquid and shake it up and down to start the siphon flowing
  • Transfers up to 3.5 gallons per minute

Link Posted: 7/8/2018 1:40:06 AM EDT
[#31]
I use a shaker siphon most of the time if I'm using the whole can. Just keep in mind the can needs to be higher than what you are siphoning into.
Link Posted: 7/8/2018 10:10:44 AM EDT
[#32]
I’ve recently gotten away from using the shaker siphon.  I just couldn’t seem to use the thing without scraping the inside of the can.  The NATO cans I use have a coating inside and I don’t think running something metal up and down against it seems like a very good idea.  Now how much damage the metal end of the shaker is doing (if any) I have no idea.  I still have a shaker around and always will, they’re just too good at what they do, I’m just not using it as my regular method for transferring gasoline out of the cans.  I’ve gone to a Wavian pre-ban spout with the hose adaptor and hose.  The tool box in the back of my Tacoma sits directly above the fuel filler location.  I just put the can on the tool box, stick the hose in the fuel filler and slowly tip the can.  Works well.

For kerosene I’ve always used something like this, since I think it gives me better control when not emptying an entire can.  I transfer kerosene from the 20L cans it’s stored in to a smaller 5L or 10L can and then use a spout to fill the heater directly from the smaller can.
https://www.amazon.com/TERA-PUMP-Transfer-Bendable-Suction/dp/B014LG22VI/ref=sr_1_10?ie=UTF8&qid=1531056455&sr=8-10&keywords=fuel+siphon

One of these days I’m going to pony up the big bucks for one of these.  The auto stop feature might be nice when filling the smaller cans.  
https://www.amazon.com/TERA-PUMP-AUTO-STOP-PROTECTION-BATTERIES/dp/B00QVLQHAO/ref=sr_1_39?ie=UTF8&qid=1531056455&sr=8-39&keywords=fuel+siphon
Link Posted: 7/8/2018 10:46:33 AM EDT
[#33]
I turn mine so it doesnt rub but I guess putting some heat shrink in it wouldn't hurt.
Link Posted: 7/8/2018 10:38:25 PM EDT
[#34]
I turn mine so it doesnt rub but I guess putting some heat shrink in it wouldn't hurt.
View Quote
That's the solution.
Link Posted: 7/9/2018 9:48:27 AM EDT
[#35]
Gosh, is the inner coating really that vulnerable?
Link Posted: 7/9/2018 12:20:49 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Beowulf] [#36]
Gosh, is the inner coating really that vulnerable?
View Quote
I don't know why it wouldn't be, it's just paint right?

Just to be clear, I'm not worried about damaging the coating at the first touch of the brass tip.  I've used the same four cans for gasoline storage for nine years and I rotate gas twice a year.  I expect to be using those same four cans for many years to come.  It's the cumulative damage that might occur over time I'm trying to avoid.
Link Posted: 7/10/2018 8:20:57 PM EDT
[Last Edit: brcarls] [#37]
Be aware that the cam profile is different on DO cans so 3rd party accessories don't fit (like Jerry Can adapters for using the can as an aux fuel tank for a generator)
Link Posted: 8/24/2018 8:02:24 PM EDT
[#38]
Atlantic British has a pretty solid deal on a set of 4 Valpro 20L NATO cans right now, sale price is $152.95. For new customers when you go to the website the first time and enter your email they send a 10% coupon code. I got the set of 4 cans, the flexible long nose NATO spout and a set of 3 replacement gaskets with FedEx for $222.48 to the front door.

That was a solid deal compared to everything else available right now and these aren't stamped not for fuel use just a sticker.
Link Posted: 8/28/2018 12:53:57 PM EDT
[Last Edit: highstepper] [#39]
What he said.  I primarily use my super siphons for transferring fuel.  The cans I bought from Ohio prep and supply do not use my nozzles for the cans I purchased from Old Grouch.
View All Quotes
Amos-

I use a TeraPump AA transfer pump...it works very well.  A set of AA batts has lasted for, I dunno, maybe a hundred gallons so far and are still going...I pump from Jerry cans to a one gallon can so I can lift it to fill the tractor (back injury ).  I'm slow, but the pump works great.  Fills the one gallon can in 30-60 seconds or so...

ETA:  https://www.amazon.com/TeraPump-TRHA01-Battery-Operated-Transfer/dp/B00APU2X0K/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&qid=1535475351&sr=8-7&keywords=terapump+gas+transfer+pump

The only downside to that Terapump is the short hose...

I might get this one if the first one goes down...

https://www.amazon.com/TeraPump-TREP01-001-Multi-Purpose-Battery-Transfer/dp/B01HOXQ3GU/ref=sr_1_fkmr0_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1535476536&sr=8-2-fkmr0&keywords=Terapump+trwp01#customerReviews
Link Posted: 8/28/2018 1:03:34 PM EDT
[#40]
Anybody buy the cans from Pinzgauer / Swiss Army Vehicles?  http://www.pinzgauer.com/surplus.php

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/28/2018 2:37:00 PM EDT
[#41]
Originally Posted By highstepper:
Anybody buy the cans from Pinzgauer / Swiss Army Vehicles?  http://www.pinzgauer.com/surplus.php

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/177088/IMG_0578-653711.JPG
View Quote
I have not.

However I can't recommend their flexible nozzle enough.
Link Posted: 8/28/2018 6:40:31 PM EDT
[Last Edit: EXPY37] [#42]
Originally Posted By highstepper:

I use a TeraPump AA transfer pump...it works very well.  A set of AA batts has lasted for, I dunno, maybe a hundred gallons so far and are still going...I pump from Jerry cans to a one gallon can so I can lift it to fill the tractor (back injury ).  I'm slow, but the pump works great.  Fills the one gallon can in 30-60 seconds or so...

ETA:  https://www.amazon.com/TeraPump-TRHA01-Battery-Operated-Transfer/dp/B00APU2X0K/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&qid=1535475351&sr=8-7&keywords=terapump+gas+transfer+pump

The only downside to that Terapump is the short hose...

I might get this one if the first one goes down...

http://www.terapump.net/img/product/trep01-01.jpg

https://www.amazon.com/TeraPump-TREP01-001-Multi-Purpose-Battery-Transfer/dp/B01HOXQ3GU/ref=sr_1_fkmr0_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1535476536&sr=8-2-fkmr0&keywords=Terapump+trwp01#customerReviews
View Quote
My SO uses the battery-less ones to transfer water, and to start a siphon action to transfer abt 40 gallons at a time in one application, once the siphon is started, it continues by itself.

Another that uses 2 D ceils to transfer RO water from a 5 gallon water jug to smaller containers [Simple Lemonade type bottles] for serving and chilling. This one hasn't ever had the batteries changes and has transferred ~20? 5 gallon jugs in the past year.

Put a couple lithium AA's in the one you have linked to and they should last a long time, incl in storage.

The less of a head pressure, the longer the run time.
Link Posted: 9/10/2018 6:40:15 PM EDT
[#43]
Any info on the best current jerry cans?  I picked up some red Scepter cans a few years ago at Costco, but need a few more.  They seemed to work ok.

Are the Deutsche Optic cans GTG?  Can someone comment on them who has had them for a while and used them?
Link Posted: 9/11/2018 8:53:53 AM EDT
[#44]
Originally Posted By Macumazahn:
Any info on the best current jerry cans?  I picked up some red Scepter cans a few years ago at Costco, but need a few more.  They seemed to work ok.

Are the Deutsche Optic cans GTG?  Can someone comment on them who has had them for a while and used them?
View Quote
The best metal can is the Valpro/Wavian sold by Atlantic British.  They have in the past sold these a little cheaper as a 4 pack on eBay, run free shipping promos and, I think, give first time buyers a 10% discount if you sign up for their emails.

The best plastic can is the military Scepter (MFC).  These can usually be found on eBay used surplus at around $50.00 per or you pay twice that or better for brand new ones that find their way south from Canada.  Deals do show up now and then so it might pay to shop around.

There’s been a lot written about the DO cans in this thread, including on this page.

If you're happy with the cans you have I think you can pick them up commercially.  I think Amazon even sells them.
Link Posted: 9/19/2018 9:19:19 AM EDT
[#45]
$20 off cl

who knew Briggs and Stratton sold these?

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/28/2018 9:26:47 AM EDT
[#46]
I have a number of the Valpro jerry cans and have been very happy with them. I won't be doing this in the future, but I had been using one of the cans to fill my mower. While the the fuel level was low, the sides got sucked in and it appears to be permanent. I thought that filling the can would pop them back out again, but it didn't and I can only get 4.5 gallons in the can now. This isn't much of a loss, but it annoys me. I emptied it and slid a padded crowbar down inside, then attempted to pop the sides back out, but that didn't work. I thought about a suction dent puller, but I don't think there is enough flat area to get suction on.

Has anyone run into this or have any ideas?

Thanks!
Link Posted: 9/28/2018 9:30:57 AM EDT
[#47]
Originally Posted By chalco:
I have a number of the Valpro jerry cans and have been very happy with them. I won't be doing this in the future, but I had been using one of the cans to fill my mower. While the the fuel level was low, the sides got sucked in and it appears to be permanent. I thought that filling the can would pop them back out again, but it didn't and I can only get 4.5 gallons in the can now. This isn't much of a loss, but it annoys me. I emptied it and slid a padded crowbar down inside, then attempted to pop the sides back out, but that didn't work. I thought about a suction dent puller, but I don't think there is enough flat area to get suction on.

Has anyone run into this or have any ideas?

Thanks!
View Quote
Fill it and sit it in the sun? Half full might be better.
Link Posted: 9/28/2018 11:01:39 AM EDT
[Last Edit: chalco] [#48]

Fill it and sit it in the sun? Half full might be better.
View Quote
I'll give it a shot.

ETA: that worked. Thanks!
Link Posted: 9/28/2018 6:43:34 PM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 9/28/2018 10:42:41 PM EDT
[#50]
Page / 38
Tacked FUEL CAN ORACLE (Page 31 of 38)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top