Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 1/19/2011 2:22:10 PM EDT
Holy shit batman, that is a huge book. It's going to take me a year to read it.

She read it on the snow day from school last week. Yep, she read the entire book in 1 day.

So basically she gave me a used book

Update: I missed judged. It didn't take me a year, it took me 2 weeks off and on.

What a great story and so well written, I say this in all seriousness, this was the best book I have ever read.

Hey Halffast, hurry up with the next one, I got nothin to read!!!
Link Posted: 1/19/2011 2:23:54 PM EDT
[#1]
It goes fast.

Link Posted: 1/19/2011 2:25:17 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
It goes fast.

Not at the speed I read.
Link Posted: 1/19/2011 2:27:49 PM EDT
[#3]
You'll find it hard to put down. I know I did the past 3 times I read it. Nice to finally have it in hard copy.
Link Posted: 1/19/2011 2:41:04 PM EDT
[#4]
i read the pdf version in a weekend.  my wife was so interested in why i was reading so much that she read it too.
Link Posted: 1/19/2011 3:31:30 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Quoted:
It goes fast.

Not at the speed I read.

You still read faster than I write!  

Tell your wife I said 'Thanks!'

Link Posted: 1/19/2011 4:16:14 PM EDT
[#6]
awesome!!  happy birthday.  
Link Posted: 1/19/2011 4:26:28 PM EDT
[#7]
Once a year, whether you need it or not

Oh, you mean the book.  Excellent read, I liked the title tie-in at the end.
Link Posted: 1/19/2011 5:40:25 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
It goes fast.

Not at the speed I read.

She wanted to get you to autograph it, but didn't know how.

She gave me 2 x 5.11 concealment shirts, The Complete Jericho Series on DVD and Lights Out.

I've been waiting for Lights Out to come out in paper, and she knew that. She is a keeper.

I told her about one of those short stories of yours that I read, but I can't find it. It's the one with the family that is bugging out and they cross the river with the truck and get stuck.

Do you have a link for that? She wants to read it.

I will tell her you said thanks.
Link Posted: 1/19/2011 5:43:39 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
awesome!!  happy birthday.  

Thanks. Wish I was younger. 51 sounds so old.
Link Posted: 1/19/2011 5:58:58 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

She gave me 2 x 5.11 concealment shirts, The Complete Jericho Series on DVD and Lights Out.

I've been waiting for Lights Out to come out in paper, and she knew that. She is a keeper.

I told her about one of those short stories of yours that I read, but I can't find it. It's the one with the family that is bugging out and they cross the river with the truck and get stuck.

this one?  The Bug Out
Link Posted: 1/19/2011 7:07:29 PM EDT
[#11]
Email me at [email protected] and we'll get your copy signed for your Birthday.  

ETA - Donne3 gave you the correct link for the short story.  I hope she likes it.
Link Posted: 1/19/2011 8:50:46 PM EDT
[#12]
Late to this thread, sorry.
Work and family stuff has directed me away from theeffort to get published.
Please post the addy so I can order for my son and myself.
Link Posted: 1/20/2011 2:12:52 AM EDT
[#13]
Best read ever! Thought it would take forever, but once started couldn't put it down.  Only took a couple days, and I didn't want it to end.  Thank you Halffast!!!!!
Link Posted: 1/20/2011 2:49:15 AM EDT
[#14]
Wish I could read that fast. Couldnt wait to finish it but was sad it was over.
Great book Thanks Dave.
Link Posted: 1/20/2011 3:01:32 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Quoted:

this one?  The Bug Out

That's the one thanks.

That is the best worst story I have ever read and was responsible for what I have in the safe.

Thanks.
Link Posted: 1/20/2011 3:05:02 AM EDT
[#16]
I bought it pretty much as soon as it was available on amazon. I don't have a Kindle but I do have their reader on my blackberry. I've been reading it here and there for the last 2 weeks. Almost done! I've read the PDF version 3 or 4 times over the years.
Link Posted: 1/20/2011 3:19:20 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Email me at [email protected] and we'll get your copy signed for your Birthday.  

ETA - Donne3 gave you the correct link for the short story.  I hope she likes it.

I will. Thanks
Link Posted: 1/20/2011 3:39:42 AM EDT
[#18]
I don't have a Kindle, but my kids got me a literati for christmas,  can I get the book for on this?????
Link Posted: 1/20/2011 12:22:09 PM EDT
[#19]
Finished it last night
Link Posted: 1/20/2011 12:24:50 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 1/20/2011 7:44:37 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Finished it last night

me too

good read
Link Posted: 1/21/2011 12:58:37 AM EDT
[#22]
I have to say this book is going to interrupt my sleep pattern.

It's hard to put down.
Link Posted: 1/21/2011 6:05:22 AM EDT
[#23]
I read the original in one day when it was all posted up . I supposed to been working but it was a real slow day and I stayed a little after work . I just could not stop reading it.
Link Posted: 1/22/2011 5:32:50 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
I don't have a Kindle, but my kids got me a literati for christmas,  can I get the book for on this?????

It's only available as a Kindle right now, but we are looking at other formats.  Thanks.

And thanks to everyone for the kind comments.  Without you all, this never would have been a success.

David

Link Posted: 1/22/2011 8:14:48 AM EDT
[#25]
Man, I need to get off my butt and order a copy.
Link Posted: 1/25/2011 7:34:56 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Yes, you do!  

Link Posted: 1/25/2011 7:41:20 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes, you do!  

I ordered it yesterday .
Can't wait.
Link Posted: 1/26/2011 3:24:03 PM EDT
[#28]
I am halfway through. It's a really good story and I really like how it is written.

Halffast, I hope another is in the works.
Link Posted: 2/7/2011 2:43:53 PM EDT
[#29]
I finished it.

Best book I have ever read.

Hurry up and do another one.
Link Posted: 2/7/2011 4:11:51 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
I finished it.

Best book I have ever read.

Hurry up and do another one.

Link Posted: 2/7/2011 5:18:46 PM EDT
[#31]
Both Lights Out and The Bug Out were two of my first reads and were the reason I am prepping today.  Halffast, thank you for opening my eyes.  Your book is on my wishlist and will get it soon.  I can't wait to read it again.  Many times I have thought what Karate Man would do.  It was the best story I had ever read.

Thanks.
OldBoyScout

Link Posted: 2/7/2011 5:40:30 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Both Lights Out and The Bug Out were two of my first reads and were the reason I am prepping today.  Halffast, thank you for opening my eyes.  Your book is on my wishlist and will get it soon.  I can't wait to read it again.  Many times I have thought what Karate Man would do.  It was the best story I had ever read.

Thanks.
OldBoyScout

Lights Out helped to get my wife on-board. Although the story scared the hell out of her, she was very impressed with the writing style and how well we got to know the characters. She's pretty fussy about her authors-so I consider that high praise indeed
Link Posted: 2/7/2011 8:26:41 PM EDT
[#33]
go herehere
Link Posted: 2/7/2011 8:49:21 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
It goes fast.

Not at the speed I read.

I don't know if anyone has asked this question about your book yet but I was wondering if there are any major changes to the story in your printed version vs. the version I have downloaded and read on the net?

I'm gonna buy the book to add to my library but I was wondering all the same....great  job by the way.
Link Posted: 2/8/2011 4:35:13 AM EDT
[#35]
Mine arrived a couple days ago, thanks Halffast.
For anyone living in the real world and not lala survival land, this book has countless realistic survival  tips, especially on how to organize a neighborhood or subdivision.
Its also fun and full of action, has a good general pace keeping the reader hooked until the end.
People will easily relate to the characters and different type of neighbors.
Your's and Matt Brackens "Enemies" are the best survival novels out there.
Take care man and hope to see you agian soon!

FerFAL
Link Posted: 2/8/2011 4:53:18 AM EDT
[#36]
Fantastic book!
Link Posted: 2/8/2011 5:15:43 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
go herehere

I will second this. If you have read Lights Out and are in need of something to read, these books are great reads too.
Link Posted: 2/8/2011 6:53:37 AM EDT
[#38]
I ordered my copy of "Lights Out" as soon as it was available.
Just finished it last week.

I've sought out and read TEOTWAWKI stories since I was a kid.
This one ranks among my favorites.

I particularly appreciated the pace and realism of the gun battles and skirmishes.

I also would love to see a sequel.

Thanks Halfast!
Link Posted: 2/8/2011 6:10:47 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
I don't know if anyone has asked this question about your book yet but I was wondering if there are any major changes to the story in your printed version vs. the version I have downloaded and read on the net?

I'm gonna buy the book to add to my library but I was wondering all the same....great  job by the way.

no major changes.  just some grammar stuff and a few barely noticeable changes...  the prologue was deleted, though. that's probably the biggest change.
Link Posted: 2/8/2011 6:27:01 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Quoted:

no major changes.  just some grammar stuff and a few barely noticeable changes...  the prologue was deleted, though. that's probably the biggest change.

Uh? What's a prologue and will I miss it?
Link Posted: 2/8/2011 6:44:48 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

LOL...  that part at the beginning with the mysterious gentleman apparently behind all the chaos...  and no. no, you won't miss it. know how I know?  you had to ask me what part wasn't there anymore.  
Link Posted: 2/8/2011 6:46:42 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

LOL...  that part at the beginning with the mysterious gentleman apparently behind all the chaos...  and no. no, you won't miss it. know how I know?  you had to ask me what part wasn't there anymore.  

but I haven't read the hard copy yet. I gave one away and will be lending out my second copy to my sister.
Link Posted: 2/8/2011 6:52:44 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
but I haven't read the hard copy yet. I gave one away and will be lending out my second copy to my sister.

ah, see?  you might have actually missed it after all!  now, at least you won't start reading the book expecting it to be there.    

(and high five for letting other folks read your copies!  I need to buy you a beer...  when are you coming to Texas?  )
Link Posted: 2/8/2011 9:43:57 PM EDT
[#44]
Just got two copies in the mail (but don't tell Echo2 I waited this long). I bought an extra for a friend.

My 14 year old son started reading my copy. Now I can't get it from him. I'll show him when my kindle show up this week and I get a copy for that.
Link Posted: 2/8/2011 9:56:06 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

A couple of the names and sourcing of stuff changed as well. Most of the typos and grammar errors were fixed, though I still found a few. I found it kind of amusing that the bonus and access to stuff from the warehouse were removed but none of the stuff that relied on those was impacted In the original writing I think halffast forgot that the laptop was never used so that was taken out too

Most of the changes were in the beginning of the book - who owned the radio, returning it, the office, stuff like that. There was a concerted effort to make the protagonist less godlike, which I appreciated. Heroes always end up being demigods of one sort or another, but it was nice that in the print version he didn't seem like that out of the gate. There was more development of the characters in the print version.
Link Posted: 2/9/2011 6:06:40 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Quoted:

ah, see?  you might have actually missed it after all!  now, at least you won't start reading the book expecting it to be there.    

(and high five for letting other folks read your copies!  I need to buy you a beer...  when are you coming to Texas?  )

I have a big customer in San Antonio and a distributor in Cedar Hill. Business has been slow but I am guessing I will be down there again in the next couple months. I would love to take you and David to dinner some time.
Link Posted: 2/9/2011 7:18:42 PM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

Quoted:

It's only available as a Kindle right now, but we are looking at other formats.  Thanks.

And thanks to everyone for the kind comments.  Without you all, this never would have been a success.

David

Let me know when it hits print. I HAVE to have at least one copy. Already ready it three times, but it's a book that I need to have.

Please.

Thank you!

Link Posted: 2/10/2011 3:34:33 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

David

Let me know when it hits print. I HAVE to have at least one copy. Already ready it three times, but it's a book that I need to have.

Please.

Thank you!

Are you serious? That is what this thread is about........
Link Posted: 2/10/2011 3:57:19 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

David

Please.

Thank you!

Since my wife gave it to me for  my birthday and I have finished reading it, and Dave has been signing them, I am pretty sure it's in print.
Link Posted: 2/10/2011 5:17:49 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
I have a big customer in San Antonio and a distributor in Cedar Hill. Business has been slow but I am guessing I will be down there again in the next couple months. I would love to take you and David to dinner some time.

that would be so very cool!!!  
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top