Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/17/2010 2:49:04 PM EDT
I have a really good location and have been throwing around the idea of hosting a camp out/bug out.
Not going to get to specific on the location just yet but its about an hour north from exit 23 on I87 (Adirondack Northway) which is about an hour north of Albany.

The location is pretty remote but there is a state hiking trail in the area.  There are occasionally other people in the area hiking the mountain.  It is all state land in the area so it would be easy to walk away from the camp site and do some target shooting.  Prolly would want to make 100% sure everything is nys ban compliant as I wouldent be surprised if a tree loving hippie were to be driving by (dirt road to trail head) and call the trout troopers if they saw a bunch of guys walking around with ar15s  Of course they would have to drive 20~30 miles to the next town to call (no cell service)

Back on topic I think a good time of year to do this would be some time in april or may.
Maybe meet up of the exit on a monday late afternoon and camp out till wednesday morning/afternoon.  (I work shift work and don't get weekends off)
Plus doing this Mon-Wed we would not have to worry about any other people in the area.  I have seen other people in the area on friday and saturday nights.
BOV can be parked right at the camp sites, so no need for hiking unless we want to.  

Hopefully some people in the area are interested in getting out with some like minded folks and testing their equipment.  If this first camp is a success maybe we can plan a foot bug out in the same area and really get of the beaten path.

I would guess there is enough room in this area for 10 tents give or take.  If there are that many interested when the time comes I can go and do a better survey of how much room there actually is.

So now the question... Is there any interest?
Link Posted: 12/17/2010 2:56:48 PM EDT
[#1]
A few pics of the area:
My wife and I out doing some hiking:

This year during deer season

Link Posted: 12/17/2010 3:09:52 PM EDT
[#2]
Sounds like a good time. My family has some land in Amsterdam, NY. If it's in May I'd be interested.
Link Posted: 12/20/2010 4:47:31 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Sounds like a good time. My family has some land in Amsterdam, NY. If it's in May I'd be interested.

May sounds good...

Any more interest out there?
Link Posted: 12/20/2010 4:57:01 PM EDT
[#4]
I might drop in.  Be warned:  Do NOT plan this for late May.  Once the blackflies start its NASTY.  First weekend or two of May is a better option than later.  Late April is good too.

Link Posted: 12/20/2010 5:28:01 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 12/20/2010 7:10:57 PM EDT
[#6]
I could be up for that... provided I don't break anything at Gore this winter.  
Link Posted: 12/20/2010 7:22:52 PM EDT
[#7]
interested

Link Posted: 12/20/2010 8:39:11 PM EDT
[#8]
Interest from a buckeye.[:)
Link Posted: 12/21/2010 3:57:28 AM EDT
[#9]
I am interested.
Link Posted: 12/21/2010 12:02:47 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I might drop in.  Be warned:  Do NOT plan this for late May.  Once the blackflies start its NASTY.  First weekend or two of May is a better option than later.  Late April is good too.

I was thinking about that...  I just figured it was part of the Adirondack experience.

So tentatively the first week in May.  Monday the 2nd, Tuesday the 3rd, and Wednesday the 4th.
Link Posted: 12/21/2010 1:01:48 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

WTF dude, is this a survival forum or not? ADAPT AND OVERCOME! hehehe...
Link Posted: 12/21/2010 6:02:32 PM EDT
[#12]
Very interested!
Link Posted: 12/21/2010 6:18:08 PM EDT
[#13]
I'd like to try to make it. Early week is nearly impossible for me to get off from work but I can give it a try.
Link Posted: 1/4/2011 7:21:46 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I could be up for that... provided I don't break anything at Gore this winter.  

Might not have to worry about that this year with the current weather conditions!
With last weekend reaching the high 40s they probably lost a lot of the man made snow.

Glad to see some people are interested.

Currently shooting for the first week in May Mon/Tues/Wed.

If the weather stays nice and we don't get a hard winter there is a good chance we can do one the first week in April as well.  But the only good remote location I can come up with is located several miles on a seasonal RD.

Sorry its not on a weekend...  Problem with weekends is I lost my shift bid and work 24 hours on weekends and would have to burn a lot of vacation time to get one off.  Also it helps us to avoid sheep and allows for un-harassed  target shooting in the area.
(while it is perfectly legal to shoot in safe directions in the area I am proposing I am sure some one would "call")
Link Posted: 1/4/2011 8:41:45 PM EDT
[#15]
Doesn't sound too far from me. A couple hours probably. I am near Malone (Franklin Co.) .
Link Posted: 1/4/2011 9:48:23 PM EDT
[#16]
Count me in, I was thinking of posting a similar thread yesterday, glad others are thinking like I am!
Link Posted: 1/5/2011 1:42:56 AM EDT
[#17]
Might be up for this!
Link Posted: 1/5/2011 7:15:37 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I have a really good location and have been throwing around the idea of hosting a camp out/bug out.
Not going to get to specific on the location just yet but its about an hour north from exit 23 on I87 (Adirondack Northway) which is about an hour north of Albany.

The location is pretty remote but there is a state hiking trail in the area.  There are occasionally other people in the area hiking the mountain.  It is all state land in the area so it would be easy to walk away from the camp site and do some target shooting.  Prolly would want to make 100% sure everything is nys ban compliant as I wouldent be surprised if a tree loving hippie were to be driving by (dirt road to trail head) and call the trout troopers if they saw a bunch of guys walking around with ar15s  Of course they would have to drive 20~30 miles to the next town to call (no cell service)

Back on topic I think a good time of year to do this would be some time in april or may.
Maybe meet up of the exit on a monday late afternoon and camp out till wednesday morning/afternoon.  (I work shift work and don't get weekends off)
Plus doing this Mon-Wed we would not have to worry about any other people in the area.  I have seen other people in the area on friday and saturday nights.
BOV can be parked right at the camp sites, so no need for hiking unless we want to.  

Hopefully some people in the area are interested in getting out with some like minded folks and testing their equipment.  If this first camp is a success maybe we can plan a foot bug out in the same area and really get of the beaten path.

I would guess there is enough room in this area for 10 tents give or take.  If there are that many interested when the time comes I can go and do a better survey of how much room there actually is.

Look closely at your state laws, particularly regarding possession of ammo...  if you get any decent turnout, you're probably going to be running afoul of quite a few of them.  I never got hassled over them by the law when I was in NY state, but you should keep it in mind.
Link Posted: 1/5/2011 8:09:35 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Look closely at your state laws, particularly regarding possession of ammo...  if you get any decent turnout, you're probably going to be running afoul of quite a few of them.  I never got hassled over them by the law when I was in NY state, but you should keep it in mind.

I don't get it, ammo is ok in NY.
Link Posted: 1/5/2011 12:59:35 PM EDT
[#20]
As long as every one leaves their RPGs at home I don't for see a problem on ammo?
I consider my self pretty well versed in NYS gun laws and know nothing about ammo restrictions? (as long as its not armor piercing or explosive)
As long as it is pre-ban or nys awb compliant you are good to go in ny.  I also think 20 guns is the limit outside of your house.
Any ways that's not the point of this thread.  If you are an avid gun person in NY chances are you already know what the laws are.

So is seems that every one is good with the first week in May.  

Tentatively May 2-3-4 (mon-wed)
Meeting location: exit 23 off I-87 (northway)...  McDonalds in Warrensburg seems to be a good place to meet then convoy another 45min to camp location.
Time: 4PM?
Camp location: Essex county/  to be disclosed remote location.

Pulling some info from other camp out posts/

Alcohol is permitted after shooting activities are completed for the day.
No ATVs (state land)
Bring your own food.
Camp sites have a few beat up old out houses
I think there is a fire pit at every campsite in the area.
I think there are 4~5 camp sites total
Camp sites have room for about 2 tents each
There is a small creek/brook that runs in the area.  You would need to filter or tab your water.
No stores near by, get what you need ahead of time. over 15~20 miles to the nearest "local" store.  Same with gas.

When it gets closer I guess I will put together a tentative attendance list.

If people are interested and the weather is good I will plan a single night camp out for the first week in April.
Tuesday April 5th and Wednesday April 6th.  
Link Posted: 1/5/2011 1:01:42 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
As long as every one leaves their RPGs at home I don't for see a problem on ammo?
I consider my self pretty well versed in NYS gun laws and know nothing about ammo restrictions? (as long as its not armor piercing or explosive)
As long as it is pre-ban or nys awb compliant you are good to go in ny.  I also think 20 guns is the limit outside of your house.
Any ways that's not the point of this thread.  If you are an avid gun person in NY chances are you already know what the laws are.

Meeting location: exit 23 off I-87 (northway)...  McDonalds in Warrensburg seems to be a good place to meet then convoy another 45min to camp location.

No ATVs (state land)
Bring your own food.
There is a small creek/brook that runs in the area.  You would need to filter or tab your water.
No stores near by, get what you need ahead of time. over 15~20 miles to the nearest "local" store.  Same with gas.

How about having a meeting place closer to the site, I would prefer to not have to convoy for 45mins.
Link Posted: 1/5/2011 1:24:11 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Quoted:

No ATVs (state land)
Bring your own food.

How about having a meeting place closer to the site, I would prefer to not have to convoy for 45mins.

OK, how about just north of minerva.  "top of minerva hill"
(this is my first time trying to host a camp out so I was just thinking in terms of making it easy for people to find who may be coming from further south.)
When I get a chance I will post a google map image.
(again this is all trial and error for me)
Link Posted: 1/5/2011 2:00:07 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

No ATVs (state land)
Bring your own food.

OK, how about just north of minerva.  "top of minerva hill"
(this is my first time trying to host a camp out so I was just thinking in terms of making it easy for people to find who may be coming from further south.)
When I get a chance I will post a google map image.
(again this is all trial and error for me)

When it gets closer you could probably post GPS coords for those of us with GPS, that way we can set it and forget. I'm definitely in, I don't think I have anything major going on during the first week of May. The weekend after I'm heading to PA for a state shoot but as long as funds don't get real low before the first week of May I'm definitely in.
Link Posted: 1/5/2011 6:01:50 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

When it gets closer you could probably post GPS coords for those of us with GPS, that way we can set it and forget. I'm definitely in, I don't think I have anything major going on during the first week of May. The weekend after I'm heading to PA for a state shoot but as long as funds don't get real low before the first week of May I'm definitely in.

10-4
Link Posted: 1/29/2011 5:15:42 PM EDT
[#25]
Any one else interested? Pretty mild winter up north so far
Link Posted: 1/29/2011 5:18:22 PM EDT
[#26]
Tag
Link Posted: 1/30/2011 11:04:01 AM EDT
[#27]
I will see what the shedule looks like, but sounds interesting.
Link Posted: 1/31/2011 9:05:53 AM EDT
[#28]
TAG to find out the date(s) Are the dates firm?  Might be able to swing it.
Link Posted: 1/31/2011 11:31:58 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
TAG to find out the date(s) Are the dates firm?  Might be able to swing it.

As long as I get a few people that want to go...
Link Posted: 1/31/2011 11:56:24 AM EDT
[#30]
I have family in your general area (exit 22-23)  an hour north isnt bad at all. We race just east of there. I might be in for it once we get some warmer weather.

ETA You have to be careful with hunting out of season , having a firearm a field with no hunting license and a few other laws they can slap you with if they feel like it.

We got threatened  one summer with several forms of that bullshit even though we had a few parked trucks a shooting table set up , with a back stop and targets .. eyes and ears , lunch and the whole 9 yards. The officer was a complete asshole for no reason. As everyone was very polite to him.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top