Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/15/2010 11:31:51 AM EDT

Need solar battery recommendation for Harbor Freight setup...

TIA,

AC
Link Posted: 12/15/2010 11:44:33 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:

TIA,

AC

is this the three panel setup with the charge controller?
Link Posted: 12/15/2010 11:52:04 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Quoted:

TIA,

AC

Yes, Sir!
Link Posted: 12/15/2010 12:14:08 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

TIA,

AC

Yes, Sir!

I got one to charge batts for my comm gear.....it works well....but a bit slow.

I have been using these batts....

These are 100 amphr batts....I used one down to about 2/3 charge....and the HF set up took the better part of a day to bring it back to full strength.....mostly sunny....yet winter day.

I personally would look at it as a very good maintainer for multiple batts....it will charge....but the more batts you add into the system....the slower it will work. I would think if you were to link about 4 of these sets together.....you would be looking at a much more substantial setup for really doing something with.

The batts I'm using are for the telecommunication industry.....and are pretty bad ass....I like them.....but they are quite expensive....and I would not have got them if I had to pay retail.....$350 to 375 per batt.

If you want to go for more reasonable....get a couple 6v batts and run together....from everything I've been reading.....that's the way to do it.

When you go to buy....go to a battery store....like interstate....tell them what you are doing.....they will hook you up with the right stuff. I told the fellow here I was looking for some batts to run my COMM gear.....he called me when he got those....I got them cheap.....also....go for the plainest looking ones they have.....they are the same as the ones with all the pretty stickers.....just considered industrial...not consumer.

Good luck....
Link Posted: 12/15/2010 2:35:59 PM EDT
[#4]
What Echo said, 2   6 volt golf cart batteries from Sams.

Abt $70 each now.

That's what I use in the trailer and have for years.
Link Posted: 12/15/2010 5:35:13 PM EDT
[#5]
yep 6V GC batteries are supposed to be best bang for the buck for low price/low wattage systems.
Link Posted: 12/16/2010 1:02:32 PM EDT
[#6]
golf cart batteries in series,

go for it.
Link Posted: 12/17/2010 4:46:17 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
What Echo said, 2   6 volt golf cart batteries from Sams.

Abt $70 each now.

That's what I use in the trailer and have for years.

You can get the completely reconditioned ones for about $35.00......just for testing the system.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top