Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/28/2010 4:09:51 PM EDT
After watching the price of supermarket bacon nearly double over the last year or so, I decided to break into one of these No.10 cans acquired in a group buy about about 7 years ago. I certainly got some strange looks from the better half when UPS delivered this case, but with food prices presently sky-rocketing, I wish I had bought much more. I seem to recall the vendor was also offering cases of beef and chicken, and considering I paid a whooping $135 for this case of 1800 pre-cooked bacon strips, I'm kicking myself for not procuring more at the time. The product was 8 years old when I purchased it, which may explain the low price. Especially consider that a case of Yoders (appx 480 strips total) when not on sale currently sells for about $135 !

There was a loud 'WHOOOOSH' as I punctured the can with the can opener. Immediately the kitchen filled with the aroma of freshly cooked bacon. There was a considerable amount of cosmoline (okay, bacon grease) in and around the large wax paper package of the 300 strips all neatly arranged like .45ACP in a Thompson C drum. The strips were evenly spaced and wrapped very well with no clumping. I heated about 6 or 7 strips in a frying pan for a few minutes and ate a few samples of the '95 vintage hog..................................................................................................................................................

-Absolutely delicious !
Reminds me a lot of Yoders in taste and texture. In fact, the third pic below is actually Yoders, as I forgot to snap a photo after opening. My surplus product looks very similar, only much more of it. It's actually wrapped much nicer than the strips in the Yoders pic.

I placed the next 93 or so strips in the refrigerator and the remaining 200 in the freezer.

Link Posted: 10/28/2010 4:20:26 PM EDT
[#1]

i did not know there were #10 cans filled with this amount of goodness

Link Posted: 10/28/2010 4:26:01 PM EDT
[#2]
Dibs on Guns and AMMO!!! PM me the safe combo please.
Link Posted: 10/28/2010 4:27:57 PM EDT
[#3]
I believe the vendor may have been an Amour-Eckrich distributor that supplied military bases in CA.
I doubt any such products are currently offered to the public, but hope I am wrong.
Link Posted: 10/28/2010 4:43:59 PM EDT
[#4]
That's a lot of bacon! How long does canned cooked bacon last anyway?
Link Posted: 10/28/2010 4:56:05 PM EDT
[#5]
Judging by my experience at least 20 years and probably longer. Yoders states 10 years but it's probably good for longer as well.
Link Posted: 10/28/2010 8:44:22 PM EDT
[#6]
canned bacon will last a VERY LONG time.
Kept cool, it will last longer than we will.
Link Posted: 10/28/2010 8:57:38 PM EDT
[#7]
Think I have  a can or two of that. I just wonder what I am going to do with it all. Chances are that I am going to be by myself after SHTF, once the can is open I have to properly dispose of 300 pieces of bacon...
Link Posted: 10/29/2010 12:28:51 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Think I have  a can or two of that. I just wonder what I am going to do with it all. Chances are that I am going to be by myself after SHTF, once the can is open I have to properly dispose of 300 pieces of bacon...

You say that like it's a bad thing!

Link Posted: 10/29/2010 8:54:39 AM EDT
[#9]
Someone please find a source this this.
Link Posted: 10/29/2010 11:18:07 AM EDT
[#10]
AHHHHHH!!! Military surplus canned bacon!  When I was a kid living in Europe, my parents would buy outdated cans at the PX.  You could also get outdated cases of C-Rats.  Was some of the best camping food in the world!    Loved the  gum packs as well as the little roll of TP and the four pack of smokes in the C-rats.  We would toss a couple of cases in the back of the VW camper and head out to explore all corners of Europe on weekends.

To this day I still salivate when I think about that canned bacon.  The Yoders comes close, but the military stuff seemed to be cut a little thicker and have a smokier taste.

stasiman
Link Posted: 10/29/2010 2:26:14 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
AHHHHHH!!! Military surplus canned bacon!  When I was a kid living in Europe, my parents would buy outdated cans at the PX.  You could also get outdated cases of C-Rats.  Was some of the best camping food in the world!    Loved the  gum packs as well as the little roll of TP and the four pack of smokes in the C-rats.  We would toss a couple of cases in the back of the VW camper and head out to explore all corners of Europe on weekends.

To this day I still salivate when I think about that canned bacon. The Yoders comes close, but the military stuff seemed to be cut a little thicker and have a smokier taste.

stasiman

I also have 2 cases of Yoders and I agree with your assessment.

Link Posted: 10/29/2010 2:39:12 PM EDT
[#12]
My nutritional habits have changed, so it has been quite some time since I have eaten real bacon.  That being said, those are awesome.  I also never considered such a thing existed.  Sure, I am aware of the Yoder offering, but never even wondered if it was ever packaged in a #10 can.  I split a case of dehydrated cottage cheese a while back.  Kind of wish I had picked up a case of the dehydrated pork chops also.
Link Posted: 10/29/2010 4:29:48 PM EDT
[#13]
Oh snap!  I gotta get some of those!  Where can I get some?!?!
Link Posted: 10/29/2010 7:21:24 PM EDT
[#14]
haha c-rats....are any of those still edible?  i think my grampa had some from when he was in ww2....never got a chance to open them though... they were for 'just in case' kinda like his silver tipped bullets.......

keeblerelf
Link Posted: 10/29/2010 7:25:02 PM EDT
[#15]
I had no idea! Yummy!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top