Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/13/2010 5:32:19 PM EDT
Thoughts about storing water in 5 gallon buckets that I can get from a local food store for $1 that held pickles?

Will the taste of brine always be in the bucket? They are FDA approved for food.

Anyone try this??
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 5:42:04 PM EDT
[#1]
I keep my misc. brass in a pickle bucket that my uncle gave me. I've had it a few months. It still smells like pickles.
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 5:46:31 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
I keep my misc. brass in a pickle bucket that my uncle gave me. I've had it a few months. It still smells like pickles.

Good to know!

Link Posted: 9/13/2010 6:15:51 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Good to know!

I have about a dozen pickle buckets i've taken from work in my basement. I use a couple as garbages, some for reloading and just general storage.

I think the general consensus is that they'll always smell like pickles. I find they aren't too bad after a good soap and water cleaning, then left in a well ventilated area for a while. But then again, I have really bad seasonal allergies, and most of the year I can't smell anything.
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 7:11:52 PM EDT
[#4]
It must be Monday.

Dont use pickle buckets unless you like everything to smell/taste like pickles.
I have one that is 32 years old from when I worked at Hardee's.
IT STILL SMELLS LIKE PICKLES.

They should be paying you to take the bucket

You can leave it in the sun for x number of days
You can use bleach
You can use baking soda
You can use Fabreeze
You can use comet cleanser
You can try ammonia
You can try cat litter
You can make a luggable-lu out of it.
no matter what you do...
IT WILL STILL SMELL LIKE PICKLES
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 7:14:44 PM EDT
[#5]
You can get Aquatainers from Walmart pretty reasonably. Under 10 bucks anyways, I think they are 5 or 7 gallon containers.
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 7:29:15 PM EDT
[#6]
Yes.
You can safely store drinking water in pickle buckets.
YES, said drinking water WILL smell of pickles. Always. Forever.
It will still be better quality, cleaner, clearer and safer than  80 percent of the worlds inhabitants will ever see during their entire lifetimes.
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 8:03:55 PM EDT
[#7]
You can use mylar bags that fit inside 5 gallon buckects to prevent the pickle taste in the water.
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 2:37:34 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Yes.
You can safely store drinking water in pickle buckets.
YES, said drinking water WILL smell of pickles. Always. Forever.
It will still be better quality, cleaner, clearer and safer than  80 percent of the worlds inhabitants will ever see during their entire lifetimes.

+1

I have 50 gallon containers I use for water that were once used to ship olives.  Even now, 3-4 years later and many hundred of water changes later, they
still smell vaguely of the pickling brine.  Bleach it a few times, run a few water changes through them, then just deal with the fact that your emergency
water may have a slight odor to it, it won't hurt you.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top