Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/13/2010 4:48:13 PM EDT
My neibor wanted to get rid of her gennie.....only used one storm.......its a generac power boss 5500 storm plus.....told her if we got ity running she could get 300 out of it.....she offered it to me for 200 as is.....I made sure she wanted to do that and took her up on it......got it home, sprayed card cleaner in the carb....(nasty)....a little pri g in the 1/4 tank gas left in the tank...(three plus years) and it fired on 2nd pull.......ran ruff so more carb cleaner while it was running and runs great now..........it doesnt have an oil filter that I can find so not top end unit but a good bacfk up for the money...........was surprised by no oil filter......didnt think brigs made an OHV engine without it now days.......anyone have one of these ?
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 7:49:27 PM EDT
[#1]
What year was the engine made? I've got an older Coleman unit with a briggs OHV motor that doesn't have a pressurized oil system/oil filter. I think it's an 02 model.

The model/type/code should be on the side of the OHV rocker arm cover. The first two digits of "code" are the year of production.

Link Posted: 9/14/2010 1:53:32 PM EDT
[#2]
mine starts with 01 so that explains it.......it has two drain plugs and two oil fill plugs........any ideas on that ?
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 2:24:28 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
mine starts with 01 so that explains it.......it has two drain plugs and two oil fill plugs........any ideas on that ?

Yes it so that in whatever application you use that engine you can access one set of fill/drain holes.

Link Posted: 9/14/2010 2:42:37 PM EDT
[#4]
You might drain that old  snot out of the fuel tank immediate, fill with fresh petroleum.
Now you have a good spare, probably  sell it for 600  to a neighbor next power outage.
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 3:57:30 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
You might drain that old  snot out of the fuel tank immediate, fill with fresh petroleum.
Now you have a good spare, probably  sell it for 600  to a neighbor next power outage.

shes a widow........ill roll it over to her yard and keep her fridge cold and tv going......gotta look in the mirror each day.
dont want to be lookin at a guy who left a widow in the dark

I was planning to drain fuel but to be honest it ran perfect on what was in it.......gonna change the oil and just burn it out on saturday
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 3:58:25 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes it so that in whatever application you use that engine you can access one set of fill/drain holes.

thank you.......been scratching my head on that all day........
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 4:19:55 PM EDT
[#7]
Order a carb rebuild kit, float, and all the associated gaskets from Briggs, along with a service manual(make sure you get the right one, there are three or four, IIRC). If the carb gets gummed up, you can rebuild it on the spot and have power when needed.
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 5:04:01 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Quoted:

shes a widow........ill roll it over to her yard and keep her fridge cold and tv going......gotta look in the mirror each day.
dont want to be lookin at a guy who left a widow in the dark

I was planning to drain fuel but to be honest it ran perfect on what was in it.......gonna change the oil and just burn it out on saturday

You keep doing stuff like that and you will have to change your name.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top