Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/13/2010 12:31:19 PM EDT
so, I have this sweet 1st gen 4runner, and I built a nice sleeping platform inside the back.. well there isnt enough room for my whole family, (myself, my wife, my daughter, and my dog)

so I have been researching some different options..

I found a flippac forsale, needs some repairs, but I got it for 250 bucks..(price of a new one is 3k - 4.5k)

the plan is to graft it onto the back of my 4runner.. there have been alot of threads on expedition portal asking if it is possible, but to my knowledge, no one has ever completed a projects like this...

i'm game..

heres some pics to wet your appetites..

+

=

profit...

the red line on the pic of the flippac is where i need to cut and rebuild the shell to get the longbed flippac to fit my shortbed length runner.

Link Posted: 9/13/2010 12:48:22 PM EDT
[#1]
Cool, I want it to go well for you.

Now get that interior up to wife approved specs
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 12:50:37 PM EDT
[#2]
Cool

Link Posted: 9/13/2010 1:08:33 PM EDT
[#3]
Cool deal.
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 1:26:31 PM EDT
[#4]
Sweet. I'll follow the build up there, unless you plan on posting it here also.
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 1:28:16 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Cool, I want it to go well for you.

Now get that interior up to wife approved specs

That's all part of the build process. I have found a source for carpet padding and the carpet itself. I am going to wait until I get the flippac finished before I do any upholstery so I don't get it all filthy and full of fiberglass dust.

The build thread will be over on expo but I will periodically crosspost here so I can get some different opinions and advice.
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 1:49:51 PM EDT
[#6]
I have always wanted that model of 4runner.....I have loved them the day they came out...

Have fun you shit
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 1:58:13 PM EDT
[#7]
Looks like a good project, if the specs of the flippac and the stock 4Runner cap are close it should be a pretty good mod.
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 2:02:17 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I have always wanted that model of 4runner.....I have loved them the day they came out...

Have fun you shit

ha ha thanks.

for a while i was thinking "Man, I should have bought that less pos 2nd gen for 3k, but now that I have discovered the wonder that is a removable top, I'm glad I stuck with this heap.

check ut craigs list. thats where I found mine. I drove 2.5 hrs to get it. that was a fun trip home. first ride in the thing and i drove 200 miles and go up the grapevine, a climb notorious for putting older cars down for the count.

oh, and it was on super bald 33" tires..

Quoted:
Looks like a good project, if the specs of the flippac and the stock 4Runner cap are close it should be a pretty good mod.

the 4runner is basically a shortbed pickup without the separation.. the only catch is that the flippac is for a long bed..

but a little bit of this and i should be golden
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 2:15:43 PM EDT
[#9]
Sick 4Runner. Have you posted this on ExPo, YotaTech, or TTORA?

I swear I've seen this truck posted on one of those sites recently.
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 2:19:15 PM EDT
[#10]
Have you considered trading the 4runner for a long bed toyota truck, I am sure you could find a swap of similar quality.  That way you wouldnt have to carve up the topper.  Plus with a solid body there will be some flexing that may cause some fitment issues with the top, which could end up with leaks.
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 2:43:55 PM EDT
[#11]
With the long bed truck I'd lose the rear seats. Which is a no go for the baby.
I have considered extending the bed to a long bed length, but then I wouldn't be able to put the old topper back on. Although I could do up a soft top.
But with a bed extension I would lose even more departure angle and this is an offroad vehicle so any mods I make should create more offroad ability not less
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 2:46:50 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Sick 4Runner. Have you posted this on ExPo, YotaTech, or TTORA?

I swear I've seen this truck posted on one of those sites recently.

I have started a buildthread on expo. And I think I've posted it on yotatech, I don't frequent ttora. You may have seen it on one of those 2

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top