Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/12/2010 4:56:02 PM EDT
I have a small Cummins Onan P1700i generator that I want to run an electric clay thrower on in lieu of using a deep cycle 12v battery. Granted, I have no idea if this will work and I'd figure this would be the best place to ask.

Can I run a 12v clay thrower off my generator that has 12v terminals?

Specs:

AC rated output1.35 kW/1350 W
AC max output1.65 kW/1650 W
AC Voltage120 V
AC frequency60 Hz
120V AC rated amperage - rated/max11.2 A/13.8 A
DC voltage12 V
Engine horsepower2.4
Fuel tank capacity0.9 Gal/3.5 L

Standard Features

• 1350 watts running, 1650 watts peak

• 3.5 hour continuous operating time (at rated load)

• Manual start

• 2.4 HP, overhead valve engine

• 0.9 gallon fuel tank

• LED display

• 120 V 20 A GFCI protected duplex receptacle, 12 V
    DC charging

• Automatic ”low-oil shutdown"

• Indicator lights pilot lamps

• Overload condition and auto power saver

• 2-year limited warranty

• Meets EPA, CSA standards

http://www.cumminsonan.com/portable/products/inverter/compare?gensetId=83&detail=true

The thrower I'm trying to use:

http://www.championtarget.com/traps/recreational/easybird/autofeed.aspx

I tried talking direction to the people at Champion, but they really didn't seem to have any idea what they were talking about. The lady mentioned something about power surge? Then the tech support guy that I emailed mentioned something about 'over amping' the trap or 'burning out the relay in the generator'
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 5:04:58 PM EDT
[#1]
I would think so but I do not see DC amperage rating for the DC out nor amp draw for the thrower .

Ok it rated for a max of 8.3 amps output ....   I cant find the amp draw for the thrower now ........ its runnng a 30 amp fuse so if its only pulling half of that it would be a no .. no way to tell untill you find the draw ratings ..... or you could but a 7.5 amp fuse in the thrower and see if it blows it running off a battery , if so its a no go for the gen set.

Link Posted: 9/12/2010 5:12:21 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

I would take so but I do not see DC amperage rating for the DC out .

Ok it rated for a max of 8.3 amps output ....

Just out of curiosity, where were you able to find the DC amp rating?

So as long as the trap and oscillating base aren't pulling more than 8.3 amps I should be good to go?

Link Posted: 9/12/2010 5:16:51 PM EDT
[#3]
http://www.cumminsonan.com/portable/products/inverter/compare?gensetId=83&detail=true
The manual is on this page under the general specs , in the manual theres a part on the DC out specs.
I edited my post above

Link Posted: 9/12/2010 5:34:13 PM EDT
[#4]
Area you going to take it of the input to an Inverter?

I would be careful

Trick would be top place a battery in line and then use that as a surge suppressor when your clay machine cycles
Bird gets chucked
machine charges Battery
Click Bird thrown
Repeat
You also could get an inverter on the output rated for your machine
I work on bigger gens
with rotors and no inverters
other than the little guys to charge the battery

Heck from the looks of the Bird thrower just hook to the units battery..
Is the Unit a pull crank if so NM
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 5:44:31 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Area you going to take it of the input to an Inverter?

I would be careful

Trick would be top place a battery in line and then use that as a surge suppressor when your clay machine cycles

Bird gets chucked

machine charges Battery

Click Bird thrown

Repeat

You also could get an inverter on the output rated for your machine

I work on bigger gens

with rotors and no inverters

other than the little guys to charge the battery

Heck from the looks of the Bird thrower just hook to the units battery..

Is the Unit a pull crank if so NM

I wanted to hook the thrower directly to the 12v terminals on the generator so I didn't have to deal with the whole battery non-sense and keeping it charged etc.

But in doing this, I guess I might have to construct some sort of intermediary box to handle the power spikes.

Link Posted: 9/12/2010 6:12:53 PM EDT
[#6]

If its only drawing 8.3 amps at 12 volts, then thats only 100 watts.

Why not save a ton of fuel and just run off the battery and charge it when needed.  Youll

have ripple free pure DC voltage too.    Im pretty sure this makes sense.  Maybe there is a better

way but thats how I would do it.  Be sure to keep the generator not connected when youre

shooting the clays.  

Link Posted: 9/12/2010 6:32:15 PM EDT
[#7]
If you have a 30 amp or greater battery charger you can plug it into the genny and run it that way.
Another solution would be to make a capacitor bank to handle the surge. Be careful. Capacitors have a nasty bite,
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 7:35:48 PM EDT
[#8]
I think a quality battery and charger will be easier than a generator and fuel (and noise).
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 8:22:18 PM EDT
[#9]
use a deep cycle marine battery.
The charging coil on the  generator is not regulated, and will not provide sufficient current to operate electric motors.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top