Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/12/2010 4:37:21 PM EDT
Recently I had to return home to S.C. after an ejection to get away from the GF.  I realized that sometimes you learn B.O. lessons when you least expect it.
This is a short list of my recent education. I know this is simple stuff, but sometimes we forget.

1. When you think you have enough room, Your wrong.
I drive a fullsize long bed truck. I made the mistake of thinking I didnt have alot to move. That bed filled up faster than Obamas ego.
Ive learned that I need to have a better plan for vehicle bug out than my previous "I will just back the truck to the door and load it up"
Its time to downsize, Create a BO list of what needs to go, and actually do a test pack of the truck.

2. 550 para-cord is essential.
I keep about a hundred feet of it in my truck. It is most helpful when you have to "fred sanford" your pickup. MAKE sure you tie your stuff down.
A few minutes to secure your goods goes a long way.....I would imagine this to be very important when bugging out with your bare minimum gear.

3. Tarps are a great thing to keep stored in your truck kit.
I think without my make shift tonneau cover of tarp and para-cord, I would have lost alot of stuff on the road.

4. Those little cheap compressors are awesome to have on hand.
Temp changes, tire pressure ......yea...compact air compressor is a really good thing to have in your truck kit.

5. Keep an eye on your stuff!!!
People in some places have no problem walking up and checking out whats in your truck. They could care less if your standing by it.
Bless the person that came up with the pay at the pump thing.

6. Once your packed up, Make sure you do a final walk through...I got 60 miles out before I realized I left something really important at her place.
Important enough that I flipped around to go get it. In a true BO event....Not good. Make damn sure you get everything!!!

I know this is dumb, simple stuff to post about. But really its making me rethink my ideas on my BOV.
It takes a bit more planning than just thinking you can throw your stuff in the bed and take off.
what will you take, what do you NEED.
Check and make sure the gear you want to take will actually all fit together in the space you have.  I can tell you that personally I felt like a dumbass having to overload and leave stuff behind.
Lets hope I will have a better grasp on this when and if it really counts.

Link Posted: 9/12/2010 4:45:28 PM EDT
[#1]
Sorry to hear of your relationship problems....

thanks for posting the AAR.
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 4:50:03 PM EDT
[#2]
Yea I didnt mean to post that as the issue but thanks. It was over and done with.
But the trip it self taught me a lot about my B.O. plans
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 4:51:54 PM EDT
[#3]
TAG Til I get off the phone and can read it

ok..off the phone now.

I agree with all your points and it is something ive been kind of saying. People need to downsize and streamline their stuff. I am setup for bugging out, so it is easy for me to tailor my stuff towards that. But those that are bugging in and dont think they will need to bug out will surely be ill prepared IMO.

I did a mild bug out drill when Hurricane charley was suppose to hit and it is a tiresome process even with everything labeled and ready to go. You dont realize how much stuff you really have til you start filling up bags and boxes.
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 5:02:04 PM EDT
[#4]
Trailers are worth there weight in gold at times , this most likely was one of those times . Trying to get stuff to fit takes time , when you have plenty of space it really cuts down on loading time . Hope things work out for you .

Link Posted: 9/12/2010 5:04:58 PM EDT
[#5]
Well, sorry to hear about your relationship problem, but this is a good dress rehearsal for the real SHtF stuff because you will have a lot on your mind, things will be forgotten. So my feeling is box up all your stuff in containers, and grab and run. Make sure all of your stuff is in one place. If you use your camping stuff for camping, be sure to replace/put back ASAP after returning.
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 5:08:28 PM EDT
[#6]
Im considering a small trailer. Not sure what type yet. I Iike the idea of a trailer that has alot of gear already loaded thats kept in the garage.
A quick load and go B.O.T. would simplify things a great deal. Ive also considered buying a pop up camper or a small camper.
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 7:18:12 PM EDT
[#7]
Thanks for the AAR.  Deciding what stay and goes is no fun in good times, and down right stressful in the dark with sick kids and powerlines on the roof. I have also thought about a small trailer preloaded with gear but on the coast flood waters and down trees make trailers no fun. Most are fairly low riding and your gear would get soaked. Many of the secondary roads are here through the woods and after a storm it's a gamble on what is blown in or open. I've had to back up nearly a mile in the snow to get turned around, no fun with a trailer.
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 7:28:46 PM EDT
[#8]
Thanks for the AAR.  Some things are easy to replace at thrift stores, other things are a bit more difficult to replace.  

Link Posted: 9/12/2010 7:54:30 PM EDT
[#9]
very good points.............one of the most important is have check lists......that takes most of the rememberin out of a bad situation......
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 12:08:43 AM EDT
[#10]
100 feet of cotton clothesline is a very, very good thing to have.  Don't even open it up.  Plunk down your $1.59 and toss it behind the seat.  Easier to tie than 550, cheaper, and will hold more weight than you might think.

Pickup bed trailers are pretty cheap, though not particularly fashionable.  And they have the advantage of shared clearance and even possibly wheels.  Also fairly easy to get used toppers and close them up.

Bungee cords are dirt cheap and will help hold those tarps for you while you get the clothesline/550 cord stretched out to hold them down for good.  Always remember the McManus theory of rope, though.  (any given piece of rope will be six inches short)

Thanks for the AAR, and better luck with the next girl.
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 12:12:29 PM EDT
[#11]
Part of why I am looking for an enclosed trailer is because of people always trying to look under tarps.

And yeah the enclosed trailer is easy to break through, door or wall, but if they don't know what is there they might skip it for a while.

The person who mentioned the pickup bed trailer has some good ideas.  I am halfway looking for one just for fuel storage under the bed.  A lot of pickups that are older will have a couple saddle tanks and you can usually get a tank from the suv version and stick its tank under there as well.  So a pickup bed trailer from an 85 chevy might be able to have 2 of the saddle tanks and a tank from a blazer or burban as well.  Rig the tanks up with electric fuel pumps and you are in good shape for fuel.

I just want to keep my mower and stuff in one of these and then with the fuel in the tanks I would not really care about fuel cans much.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top