Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/10/2010 11:14:33 AM EDT
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 11:47:51 AM EDT
[#1]
Sounds truly miserable.   Glad you are finally getting it worked out.

For the rest of us I think it is good motivation to keep up with good dental hygiene and seeing your dentist.
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 11:53:33 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 12:12:24 PM EDT
[#3]
TJ,
Have you noticed any bone loss in your jaws since you had the teeth removed?
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 12:31:24 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 12:32:53 PM EDT
[#5]
Hey TJ, thanks for your helpful insight and post!

In this rural area, it was very common for children to lose teeth quickly to decay (as you called poor dental hygiene) there were even programs through the schools where the public health department would conduct exams, pass out toothbrushes and paste (part of President Johnson’s “War on poverty in Appalachia Program.”) If some want to make fun of toothless poor mountain hillbillies, I guess we earned that, but when children you are a product of your environment that that a simple and sad fact.

There were only one dentist within 20 miles and you had to travel another 35 to get to another bigger town with more dentists. If you were lucky as I was you got to go to the dentist when a tooth broke of started hurting. His remedy was to drill and grind out the cavity or if abscessed, simply pull it. This process continued until there was not much tooth left to hold fillings then you were faced with it having to be pulled.  

This led to a lot of gaps and missing teeth at an early age and it was very common for people in their early twenties making the decision (if not more for economics then practicality) to have the remaining teeth pulled and dentures made. This happened to me but I was fortunate enough to have dental insurance at work and had posts, crowns, bridges and as time and science caught up, implants to fall back on instead of dentures.

After a merger at work, I was laid off and no dental insurance. I started back to work in construction only to fall off a roof with fairly extensive head and facial injuries (basically knocking all my front teeth out, or broke off at gum level if you will). Now keep in mind these front teeth are necessary to anchor or hold the partials, so in a nutshell I was in trouble. The resulting concussion and brain damage eventually caused a dysautonomia (spelling?) condition which causes me to have wildly fluctuating heart rates, blood pressures and abnormal heart rhythms. Not the best conditions under which to be put to sleep and have corrective oral surgery to remove the damaged areas and old fixtures! As my local oral surgeon said, “I would not touch you with a ten foot pole” in my little surgical clinic.

Anyway, I am expecting to be referred on to a university medical center which specializes in treating patients with conditions such as mine. While there I am hoping they can co-ordinate with oral surgeons and take corrective actions so that dentures may be fitted. Costs are an issue as you can well imagine and unfortunately, is often why a lot of good people have no viable options except extraction and dentures.

Bottom line, I want all this pain, embarrassment and diet restrictions behind me and look forward to the day I can once again eat more normal meals (really missing the taste of bacon, lol) and not be ashamed in public! OP, you have no idea how helpful your post is to me, Thanks!

Link Posted: 9/10/2010 12:45:02 PM EDT
[#6]
TJ, thanks very much for the heads up  on Affordable Dentures. Due to a lupus-related issue, my wife produces little to no saliva and her teeth eventually just rotted away and she had them all removed. She had conventional dentures fitted at the dentist but went through much of what you have detailed and never got them to fit properly. Just recently she had implants put in for the bottom denture, which allows it to be fitted differently and holds it very firmly to her jaw. Now she can eat relatively normally again. She want to look at doing the upper which is more costly. We may try your suggestion first, the top generally holds tighter and if it was better fitted and more comfortable, that might be all she needs.
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 2:25:44 PM EDT
[#7]
Thanks for the post! Im going to look into this for my father. He is constantly gagging on his , pull them out cursing them and generally annoyed with them.
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 4:34:07 PM EDT
[#8]
My grandmother had both upper and lower dentures and when I told her about my gum disease she said if you end up starting to lose your teeth, do everything you can to save your lower ones as long as possible.  I am not sure why she said that exactly. That was years ago and fortunately, I haven't lost any uppers or lowers yet but gum disease sucks and it is prevalent in my family.
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 5:38:08 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 5:57:41 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 7:59:59 PM EDT
[#11]
Affordable dentures has a two part plan that is the way I went.
They sell you a "plan" that consists of a "temp" set to wear for up to a year to give your gums time to shrink/heal. Over this time they will do adjustments for free, and one reline for free in the first year. Then you go back and get your "perminent" set after your gums are healed.

I looked at there available options, and that seamed like the best way to go for the money involved.

I will say that I was not really satisfied with the dds. at the affordable denture place near me. Kinda a wack job, and I found it hard to get on the same page in communication. But then again, I seam to have that problem with alot of folks... go figure...

Hands down they are the cheapest, easyest way to go, and people seam to be happy with them for the most part.

It is nice to be able to smile without the broke tooth grin.
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 5:51:03 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 7:39:40 AM EDT
[#13]
Great write up TJ. Thank you.
I'm in the eat what I can, not what I really want anymore club.
I tear up soft stuff.
How can I locate a "lab" to get dentures in Reno, Or even Las Vegas? What to search for?
My first set cost $2400, second was $2200. I sure could use better fitting choppers.
Thanks again.
M
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 11:09:59 AM EDT
[#14]
You are wise to guard your lower teeth. Bone loss is much more of a concern with your mandible than maxilla. From my understanding, the stress of eating pulling and pushing on your teeth promotes adequate bone.
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 6:47:27 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 1:42:43 AM EDT
[#16]
Thanks again. My gums are OK. I've had choppers for four years. I will look into making a trip to Las Vegas this year.
Thanks again for your help.
M
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top