Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/9/2010 5:49:46 PM EDT
Ok so what if water is out and I can get to a power source for my house, whether it still be the power company or solar or whatever...

I have a portable AC unit that kicks out about a gallons a day, even more on a humid day....
Would this be safe stuff to drink? I would think so?
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 6:10:36 PM EDT
[#1]
I was recently pondering the same about a dehumidifier ?? Not hijacking just curious about both and I would think the dehumidifier would take less power to run.
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 6:13:25 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Ok so what if water is out and I can get to a power source for my house, whether it still be the power company or solar or whatever...

I have a portable AC unit that kicks out about a gallons a day, even more on a humid day....
Would this be safe stuff to drink? I would think so?

If you filter it like it came out of a local creek, it will be OK.

The piping/fins that collect the water are not food rated and will eventually harbor bacteria.  Look up things like legionaires disease.

Also, it won't have any of the nutrients that "normal" water might, which can be good and bad.  But it would keep you from drying out.
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 6:34:02 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
I was recently pondering the same about a dehumidifier ?? Not hijacking just curious about both and I would think the dehumidifier would take less power to run.

The AC unit has a dehumidifier....so your not hijacking ;)
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 6:38:44 PM EDT
[#4]
Good answers.
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 6:41:59 PM EDT
[#5]
Filter and boil and you'll be fine.
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 6:55:19 PM EDT
[#6]
Clean the fins and base on the AC throughly with an appropriate cleaner.

They're most likely aluminum and plastic, and the coils might be copper if it's a decent AC.

Link Posted: 9/9/2010 7:58:33 PM EDT
[#7]
There have been a couple of threads on drinking water from the AC or dehumidifier.

ALL of them concluded that it was a terrible idea - legionaires, various nasty bacteria, and metals leeching into the water. If it's your ONLY source, maybe. But I definitely wouldn't count on it as a water source.
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 9:01:43 PM EDT
[#8]
If the air's that humid, you'd be far, far ahead setting up a solar still in a nice sunny area.  Wouldn't even need power.
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 9:08:25 PM EDT
[#9]
Lots of lead solder in that shit, no thanks
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 11:02:25 PM EDT
[#10]
For me, it would be a source of last resort for drinking water but would be ok for washing, toilet, watering plants, etc.  I would think if you have access to power there is probably a better water source and, if not, now is the time to set one up.

ETA - good thought-provoking idea, though.
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 7:53:52 AM EDT
[#11]
I think as a source of water it's not that bad of an idea, but I would consider it suspect as far as being safe to drink without some kind of treatment.

But the idea of using the A/C to generate a tiny amount of water seems wasteful.

Link Posted: 9/10/2010 2:24:31 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I think as a source of water it's not that bad of an idea, but I would consider it suspect as far as being safe to drink without some kind of treatment.

But the idea of using the A/C to generate a tiny amount of water seems wasteful.

It would have been a dual purpose ...keeping cool and having water:)
When I lived in Florida, and a hurricane came through, you may have power after a few days , then water may be deemed suitable a little while after that.
So I would deem it unpotable water, but would still use it for bathing, watering plants and such then
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 5:39:46 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Lots of lead solder in that shit, no thanks

BINGO!
You would be better off boiling creek water If you live out in the country you're much better off, find the nearest artesian spring.
I'm lucky I have one about 200 yards  behind the house and an old well that I cappede before drilling a deeepr one. The older capped well I can draw water from it with a winch and a bucket just like they did years ago...no electricty required!
Find your nearest free flowing water of dug well!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top