Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/9/2010 4:39:36 PM EDT
I have heard folks talk about using pool / hot tub water for drinking / cooking purposed...If so, how do you get the chlorine and such out...are water filters enough? What other methods?
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 4:50:14 PM EDT
[#1]
You'd be surprised how fast chlorine burns off in a pool...

Yes, water filters can filter out chlorine.
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 5:11:57 PM EDT
[#2]
I'm no chemist, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn....mmmm, cinnamon rolls.

Chlorine will evaporate on its own if the water is left open. This can be accelerated by aeration. Rig up a pump that sprays it into the air and let it fall back into the pool. This also exposes water to the UV sunlight to kill bad living things.
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 5:39:58 PM EDT
[#3]
Little bleach or chlorine never killed anyone! I'm not joking if you drink it you will sweat it out! Did it all the time in Iraq most water you did not get from a bottle had one or the other in it. Look at me I'm ok!
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 6:03:09 PM EDT
[#4]
As a medical profesion'l....yes it is very safe to drink, chlorine is safe up to 2-3 tbls per gallon.  (how much do you think is in your city drinking water)
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 6:03:42 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I have heard folks talk about using pool / hot tub water for drinking / cooking purposed...If so, how do you get the chlorine and such out...are water filters enough? What other methods?
Chlorine can be removed by allowing the water to stand with good air exposure, or by boiling, or by activated charcoal filter.  The stabilizer (cyanurate) can be removed with activated charcoal (I believe)....  There is not really much else in MY pool except a little (very low levels) copper as an algicide...

I have been meaning to test my cyanurate level with and without activated charcoal filtration to prove to myself that it really will remove cyanurate...  haven't done that yet...

Link Posted: 9/9/2010 6:41:21 PM EDT
[#6]
There is usually more chlorine in my tap water then there is in my pool
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 8:25:48 PM EDT
[#7]
don't pee in the pool

Link Posted: 9/10/2010 11:37:58 AM EDT
[#8]
My dog drinks out of the pool everyday for 12 years..... hasn't killed him yet. His face is turning white though.
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 12:04:47 PM EDT
[#9]
Hot tubs are bubbling bacteria fraps.  No matter how much you treat it, I won't be drinking it.  I'll welcome the sweet release of death.
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 12:06:45 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Hot tubs are bubbling bacteria fraps.  No matter how much you treat it, I won't be drinking it.
This is true...

nasty nasty stuff...

Link Posted: 9/10/2010 12:13:48 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Hot tubs are bubbling bacteria fraps.  No matter how much you treat it, I won't be drinking it.
This is true...

nasty nasty stuff...

heheheheheh so that one behind the strip club is a no go?
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 12:18:43 PM EDT
[#12]
I've heard a funny thing about chlorine in pools.
Apparently if you have a lightningstrike near your pool, the ozone in the draws all the chlorine out of the pool in seconds.
Did'nt believe it at first, but the internets says it's true.

So naturally chlorine dissapears fast since a certain amout of ozone is always in the air. It's just that during thunderstorms there's lots of it.
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 12:36:32 PM EDT
[#13]
wouldn't be my first choice. However, if you filter and boil it, it should be safe.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top