Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/7/2010 8:37:27 AM EDT
Hey yall,

I'm looking into getting a Marlin 336BL in .30-.30 Win. for deer hunting this season. Would anyone consider using a lever gun as a SHTF rifle?
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 8:39:42 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 8:42:46 AM EDT
[#2]
I got one just in case the feds confiscate my ARs. (the ones they can find)
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 9:11:26 AM EDT
[#3]

Wins;
-reasonable prices at about $400 new
-proven 100 year old design
-simple
-good power 30-30 = 150 grain 30 cal at about 2000 fps
-cowboy tacticool
-good quality

Fails
-not cheap like a $400 SKS
-not 7.62 X 39 =  125 grain 30 cal at about 2000 fps
-not cool like an SKS comeon why look like a cowboy when you can look like a survivalist
-not built by some communist low bidder supplying an army of disposable subjects

I think the wins outweigh the fails

Link Posted: 9/7/2010 9:15:19 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 9:19:49 AM EDT
[#5]
You had to be taught that you are a survivalist
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 10:56:57 AM EDT
[#6]
I would rather have a semi.  Getting multiple hits on a target from a prone position is a hell of a lot easier.   Still, in the course of things, even a lever-action is a hell of a lot better than a pistol.
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 6:22:28 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Well, I'll tell you this.

When I'm packing my .44 magnum in its scabbard with my six gun on my hip its cowboy belt loaded with rounds, I don't feel outgunned.  

Tj

I am a big 45 Colt fan and I have been hunting with one of three 45 Colt Revolvers for a couple years (5.5-inch 45 Colt Redhawk, 7.5-inch 45 Colt Redhawk "R-Model" with the scope, or 45 Colt Super Blackhawk Bisley Hunter and I have been quietly looking for a pre-safety Winchester 94AE Trapper to go with them.  Finally tonight I managed to dig deep enough in my pockets to get one!

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=187662183

I would have tolerated one of the tag safety models but the darn cross bolt guns are just fugly!

I don't consider 45 Colt to be one of my primary SHTF rounds but I have several hundred pounds of lead, bullet molds, brass, primers, powder etc so I certainly would not list it as the least prepped cartridge that I keep on hand  I am glad to finally have a lever action in 45 Colt to go with what I have to admit has become a nasty case of Rugeritis as I have a gun safe pretty much full of Ruger Revolvers and half of them are 45 Colts!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top