Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/7/2010 8:33:09 AM EDT
What would happen if i used kerosene as fuel for my coleman dual fuel lantern? it says in the instruction that i should only use coleman fuel or unleaded gas.
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 8:36:34 AM EDT
[#1]
the "generator" will gum up and require replacement...
stick with the authorized fuels and you will be fine.
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 9:17:21 AM EDT
[#2]
As above.  Also if it is an older dual fuel the newer ethanol blend gasolines can eat the seals.  I believe the new Coleman Dual Fuels run fine on the ethanol.  If you want kerosene Coleman makes a kerosene pressure lantern.
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 6:54:23 PM EDT
[#3]
^^ This...

Stick with Kerosene in a lantern designed for kerosene.  As noted, Coleman makes one––it's their brightest lantern.  I have one, along
with several white gas or dual fuel models, and would never dream of using anything but kerosene in it, or anything but white gas/Coleman fuel in
the others (except for the dual fuel––and I prefer to run WG/Coleman in them, too).

Coleman made the things, and actually knows what fuel works best in them.  I find it prudent to heed their advice.

David
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 8:26:34 PM EDT
[#4]
alright, thanks guys
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 8:53:11 PM EDT
[#5]
check out what this guy did. he used kerosene on a dual fuel lantern however he had to 'preheat it first" then voila it worked  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7BCO8brv4lg
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 2:07:49 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
check out what this guy did. he used kerosene on a dual fuel lantern however he had to 'preheat it first" then voila it worked  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7BCO8brv4lg

If you look around on line you will find directions to convert a regular coleman to kerosene by changing out the tip and adding a pre heat cup.  But I would go wi th manufacturers recommendation and just use Coleman fuel.  I collect Coleman lanterns and stoves and all I use is Coleman fuel.  It is what they are designed to burn.  If you want a kerosene lantern buy one designed for kerosene.  WTSHTF you dont want to be dealing with a clogged generator because you used the wrong fuel.

Link Posted: 9/8/2010 7:57:50 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Quoted:

If you look around on line you will find directions to convert a regular coleman to kerosene by changing out the tip and adding a pre heat cup.  But I would go wi th manufacturers recommendation and just use Coleman fuel.  I collect Coleman lanterns and stoves and all I use is Coleman fuel.  It is what they are designed to burn.  If you want a kerosene lantern buy one designed for kerosene.  WTSHTF you dont want to be dealing with a clogged generator because you used the wrong fuel.

well when SHTF i might not be able to find "coleman fuel", the whole idea of this exercise is to gather as much info as i could on possible alternates. and it turns out kerosene would work.
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 8:44:29 AM EDT
[#8]
Has anyone found out a way to use E85 in their Coleman Dual Fuels?  I've looked on the web for a while now (off and on for about a month now) and seems as if there just isn't a way to do it safely.  Even changing the gasket material will eventually degrade and burn at a higher temperature that may actually melt the generator.

To me at least, seems E85 would be a cleaner fuel and less expensive one to use IF IT CAN BE DONE SAFELY.
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 9:15:00 AM EDT
[#9]
kerosene works for shit in my fuel coleman.

TXL
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 5:35:27 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

well when SHTF i might not be able to find "coleman fuel", the whole idea of this exercise is to gather as much info as i could on possible alternates. and it turns out kerosene would work.

Before you go and stock up on kerosene I would get at least one spare generator for your lantern if not a couple.  Fire your lantern up with some kero and burn a tank or two through it and see how it does.  Sure the guy got it to work and it will work fine for a little while but I am willing to bet that the generator gums up rather quickly and it is lights out.  The problem is the tip sizes are different.  The dual fuel tip is sized for gasoline and Coleman fuel not kerosene.  Running kerosene through this tip leaves a lot of residue that quickly clogs the generator.  Also make sure you have a lot of spare mantles.  

If you want to have a kerosene option pick up a dietz tubular lantern.  They are one of the best kerosene lanterns out there and they are dead simple.  www.lanternnet sells some great ones and they arent much more than a couple of generators.
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 5:37:11 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Has anyone found out a way to use E85 in their Coleman Dual Fuels?  I've looked on the web for a while now (off and on for about a month now) and seems as if there just isn't a way to do it safely.  Even changing the gasket material will eventually degrade and burn at a higher temperature that may actually melt the generator.

To me at least, seems E85 would be a cleaner fuel and less expensive one to use IF IT CAN BE DONE SAFELY.

Call Coleman and ask them.  Their service people are pretty good.
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 3:45:41 PM EDT
[#12]
-whats e85?

-I got my lanterns from a guy who used it for 5 years running it on kerosene, it was rather in pretty bad shape when i got it, soot and gum on the generator's surfaces. I took it apart and cleaned it, what i noticed was  gum buildup up was limited outside the generator the inside was clean as a whistle. youre right about stocking up on a spare generator just in case.

question: does kero burn much hotter than unleaded gas?
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 4:31:16 PM EDT
[#13]
e85 is 85% ethanol 15% gasoline.

What is the model # lantern you have?  If the guy really ran it for 5 years on kerosene it is most likely a kero lantern or he didnt use it much at all.  I have never heard of anyone running a lantern on kerosene without a lot of issues with the generator clogging.
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 2:20:14 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
e85 is 85% ethanol 15% gasoline.

What is the model # lantern you have?  If the guy really ran it for 5 years on kerosene it is most likely a kero lantern or he didnt use it much at all.  I have never heard of anyone running a lantern on kerosene without a lot of issues with the generator clogging.

here are the pics of that lantern. as far a s i could tell he only cleaned them right before he sold it to me

http://i987.photobucket.com/albums/ae360/suntzu32/DSC00144.jpg

http://i987.photobucket.com/albums/ae360/suntzu32/DSC00145.jpg
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 2:22:20 AM EDT
[#15]
would 10% ethanol in my gas work fine with my lantern? thats the available mix we have here.
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 5:39:25 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
would 10% ethanol in my gas work fine with my lantern? thats the available mix we have here.

From what I understand the alcohol eats the seals on the older lanterns even the dual fuels.  Call Coleman and they can probably givre you the part numbers of the seals you need to replace.  I dont know if you can replace them but that would be where to start.  I have a dual fuel stove and lantern that I have been meaning to call about.

Link Posted: 9/10/2010 5:45:55 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Quoted:

From what I understand the alcohol eats the seals on the older lanterns even the dual fuels.  Call Coleman and they can probably givre you the part numbers of the seals you need to replace.  I dont know if you can replace them but that would be where to start.  I have a dual fuel stove and lantern that I have been meaning to call about.

if and when you call the coleman people, would you mind posting their reply? i'd like to know myself if i need to replace the seals and stuff. i dont have acess to a coleman hotline im on the other side of the planet
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top