Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/6/2010 7:11:48 PM EDT
someone was on here talking about it the other day ,  B&M or something like that , any info ?
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 7:26:50 PM EDT
[#1]
B&M does do canned bread.

It's very dense, molasses-y flavored and sweet.

It's OK grilled or toasted a bit, I didn't like it "out of the can" very well.  Ended up using it as a way to make a hot bed for some ice cream.

But then, it's canned, it can sit there a year before you get to it.  So, not so bad for the camping shack or whatever.
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 7:41:47 PM EDT
[#2]
makes me want to get a can...

on the list for tomorrow.
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 7:48:11 PM EDT
[#3]
Hard to find locally here in GA, but easy to find online.  It's a very dense bread.  Probably a little too dense for a sandwich.  I prefer mine heated with a little butter on top, or even some cheese.  It's actually a bread I prefer to heat in the microwave as it seems to conserve some moisture in the bread vs. toasting which can dry it out.  

It's also not a bread you'd want to eat without something to drink.  Without a little coffee to go with it, it seems to get bigger the more you chew.  FWIW I like the canned cakes available as well.  

A can of bacon, 2 cans of bread, a can of butter, and 2 six packs of Diet Mt. Dew, and I'm ready to hunt for 3 days.
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 7:54:22 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 9:14:25 PM EDT
[#5]
Can be found at my local supermarket for about $2.50 each (seen today while shopping). A few in the stash would be fine, but I think I'll put aside some CANNED wheat and make my own when I need some...

Link Posted: 9/6/2010 10:09:06 PM EDT
[#6]
What the world really needs is a good canned tortilla, in both corn and flour varieties - Almost zero wasted air space, easy to warm up, and good for everything from egg & bacon breakfast tacos to suppertime chili or enchiladas...
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 10:31:08 PM EDT
[#7]
I can't find it around here.
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 5:38:24 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Hard to find locally here in GA, but easy to find online.  It's a very dense bread.  Probably a little too dense for a sandwich.  I prefer mine heated with a little butter on top, or even some cheese.  It's actually a bread I prefer to heat in the microwave as it seems to conserve some moisture in the bread vs. toasting which can dry it out.  

It's also not a bread you'd want to eat without something to drink.  Without a little coffee to go with it, it seems to get bigger the more you chew.  FWIW I like the canned cakes available as well.  

A can of bacon, 2 cans of bread, a can of butter, and 2 six packs of Diet Mt. Dew, and I'm ready to hunt for 3 days.

Check Publix in the veggies aisle.  I have never had a problem finding it there.

Link Posted: 9/7/2010 6:04:23 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
What the world really needs is a good canned tortilla, in both corn and flour varieties - Almost zero wasted air space, easy to warm up, and good for everything from egg & bacon breakfast tacos to suppertime chili or enchiladas...

that would rock...
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 6:20:54 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

the canned brown bread is, as someone else mentioned, not a bread for smaitches.  and i haven't tried a Canwich yet... but i'm not expecting that to have great bread.

someone here in SF was saying how easy it is to make tortillas from scratch and posted a recipe. i saved it somewhere... FOUND IT!  sounds simple enough. i just haven't gotten around o doing it.

A word on tortillas, never ever, under any circumstances make yourself homemade tortillas. If you ever want to enjoy a restaurant or store-bought tortilla again. Homemade, hot off the fire will spoil you for ever.

One of my wives was from Sonora, Old Mexico. Some flour, a little Crisco, dash of salt, and enough water to make a dough is all it takes. Mix the ingredients together, cover and let rest for a few minutes. Grab a fistful, squeeze a wad out of the top of your fist (kind of the reverse of milking a cow's teat, this meters the dough for a consistent sized tortilla). Roll, or hand pat flat and roughly circular, cook for a couple minutes on each side, and you've got good eats. Those round cast iron tortilla pans are cheap, useful for other things, made for making tortillas, and are definitely worth the money. But they are not necessary. When we were starting out I liberated a piece of 1/4 inch sheet steel, rounded off the corners, and she made them on that for years. Any pan (or hot rock) can cook tortillas, a heavy one works best.

Here is a recipe from Cooks.com. The submitter does not call out letting the dough rest, but you really do need to let the dough agglutinate.

EASY HOMEMADE FLOUR TORTILLAS

3 cups flour
1 tsp. salt
1/3 cup vegetable oil
1 cup warm water

Combine all the flour, salt, vegetable oil, and water until it forms a dough.

Roll the dough into a big ball and take about an 1 to 2 inch pieces off. Pat the dough flat with your hands or take a rolling pin and roll into circles.

Put the dough on a flat pan on the stove and let the sides cook until there are little brown specks on both sides like you would see on other tortillas.

Submitted by: Sirena

Edit to add:
Some recipes call for baking powder, it's not needed. If you want a nice solid (not puffy), chewy tortilla it's just flour, grease, salt and water.
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 6:30:25 PM EDT
[#11]
Brown Bread isn't a baked bread, but a steamed bread or pudding and is made with whole wheat, rye, white flour, molasses and other stuff. It is then poured into an empty can and steamed for an hour or more. Brown Bread is served with Boston Baked Beans, warm or toasted, slathered with butter and used to sop up the sauce from the baked beans. Brown Bread without raisins isn't real brown bread. It is some kind of sissified, castrated bread.
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 6:37:42 PM EDT
[#12]
It's pretty good but may be too sweet if you're not used to it.  It goes great with baked beans.
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 3:30:51 AM EDT
[#13]
I have very fond childhood memories of having tea and sliced canned bread with a elderly British lady that my mother took care of. Haven't thought about it in years. Need to order me some.. With Raisins
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 3:38:58 AM EDT
[#14]
Can Bread and Spam sandwich
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 3:50:55 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Can Bread and Spam sandwich

topped with mre jalopeneo cheese spread
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 6:34:29 AM EDT
[#16]
I have had it.  I would rate the taste at 3.5 or 4 out of 5.  I think of it more as breakfast food.  Goes well with coffee.  Also prefer it warmed, preferably toasted.  Topped with some canned butter, it could be a real treat if you were enduring an extended absence of electric service were utilizing “alternate” food preps.  It is high in sugar but has a simple list of “natural” ingredients, including whole wheat and rye flour instead of crappy bleached, white flour.  I could not find it in local stores, so ordered some from Amazon at ~$30 for a 12 can case through their “Subscribe and Save” service a while back.  Though the manufacturer listed shelf life is 2-3 years, I would not hesitate to put it on a 5-8 year rotation, dependent on storage conditions.
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 7:09:07 AM EDT
[#17]
I've got two cases of the B&M raisin bread in my preps.  A 1/2" slice is a 130 calories.  Mostly carbs (29 gms) and very little fat.  Not bad heated in the microwave and slathered with butter.  I wouldn't mind giving out a can to a passing family with kids that are hungry.
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 8:20:19 AM EDT
[#18]
I can not stand the stuff..

JMHO.

Amos1909
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 8:24:28 AM EDT
[#19]
I've eaten that for years, my Mom loved it. I had a can get "lost" and I found it about 6 years later. It was still
good. I now have 2 cases put aside.
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 4:18:34 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

I'm with you. I need my tacos, even during the pokylypse! Maybe someone can point us in the right direction.
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 4:23:44 PM EDT
[#21]
We just buy bags of flour tortilla mix.
All you have to add is water.
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 5:32:27 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Yes, I like the way you think on the canned tortillas! That would be a great survival food!

I have some of the canned bread. Haven't tried it yet. Good friend of mine gave me a couple to sample. Just haven't gotten there yet.
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 5:41:08 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm with you. I need my tacos, even during the pokylypse! Maybe someone can point us in the right direction.

How about MRE tortillas? The Epi Center

Skip forward to the 1:00 minute mark

Or here http://theepicenter.com/mre_military_meal_ready_to_eat.html Scroll down a bit more than half way.

Kind of pricey, unless you need your tortilla fix...

MRE Tortillas (2 tortillas per package).  Price $1.39
MRE Tortillas, 12 pack (24 total tortillas).  Price $15.00 ($1.25 each)
MRE Tortillas, 50 pack (100 total tortillas).  Price $57.50 ($1.15 each)
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 5:52:17 PM EDT
[#24]
Same thing, different texture:

Link Posted: 9/8/2010 8:52:17 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
I can't find it around here.

http://mybrands.com/Product.aspx?pid=141

I just checked pricing on a dozen cans, it was $35.28. Several of the online preparedness places carry this bread, but none carry the plain/no raisin type. I have a few cans of the raisin bread, but I am really not at all about raisins..... to me they are like flies without legs and wings they just me out.

This bread is good and has a place in your storage IMO, even with the raisins. It's not bread you would make a sandwich with, it has a dense body and is almost sticky sweet. Just not sweet enough to be a desert. I could see this served with coffee, tea or hot chocolate on a winter day/night. My understanding is that the B&M bread is an east coast thing-they eat it with the B&M Baked Beans and it is supposed to be all the rage.
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 8:53:41 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Check Publix in the veggies aisle.  I have never had a problem finding it there.

We have it locally in a few stores, some are seasonal with their stock. NONE of them keep it in the same place. The first place to check is near the baked beans. If it isn't there, B&M baked beans might be, and that might mean that they carry the bread somewhere else.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top