Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/6/2010 3:39:27 AM EDT
I bought a Minelab Safari metal detector today, With the thought of finding some coins/treasure at the local parks etc.  I've been reading that a lot of people are finding silver coins with this particular detector and thought it could be worth it in the long run as long as I stick to it. Ive got a lot of old parks and such around me and figure I will try these areas first.  However, My step father is into Gold prospecting, and I thought I would go out with him a few times and try my luck.  I ve looked at a lot of his topo maps where his mining club holds claims, and have deterimined that I would want to get lost or stranded out there. The desert in Arizona can get real hot or real cold, not to mention all the critters out there. I figure if I get lost or seperated, it wouldnt be for long. Worst that would probably happen is I would fall down a canyon and break a leg while being knocked unconcious. So what would you pack for survival in the wilderness for 3 or 4 days?  Keep in mind this is not a pack for long term bug out survival.  It would be a pack for a max of five days out in the very hot, or very cold sonoran desert.  Of course I have figured the obvious, 3 litres of water, food bars, a box of ammo, ( probably gonna carry a 357 wheel gun) a compass, a whistle.  but what other suggestions do you guys have to help me survive/relax till a rescue? Or better yet what kind of things do carry when you hunt and could get lost for a few days out in the wild?
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 4:14:36 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
I bought a Minelab Safari metal detector today, With the thought of finding some coins/treasure at the local parks etc.  I've been reading that a lot of people are finding silver coins with this particular detector and thought it could be worth it in the long run as long as I stick to it. Ive got a lot of old parks and such around me and figure I will try these areas first.  However, My step father is into Gold prospecting, and I thought I would go out with him a few times and try my luck.  I ve looked at a lot of his topo maps where his mining club holds claims, and have deterimined that I would want to get lost or stranded out there. The desert in Arizona can get real hot or real cold, not to mention all the critters out there. I figure if I get lost or seperated, it wouldnt be for long. Worst that would probably happen is I would fall down a canyon and break a leg while being knocked unconcious. So what would you pack for survival in the wilderness for 3 or 4 days?  Keep in mind this is not a pack for long term bug out survival.  It would be a pack for a max of five days out in the very hot, or very cold sonoran desert.  Of course I have figured the obvious, 3 litres of water, food bars, a box of ammo, ( probably gonna carry a 357 wheel gun) a compass, a whistle.  but what other suggestions do you guys have to help me survive/relax till a rescue? Or better yet what kind of things do carry when you hunt and could get lost for a few days out in the wild?

Go with the gold prospecting. Too many people doing coinshooting now. I've done metal detecting for a long time. I even used to write a few articles for Eastern and Western Treasures back in the day.

Gone are the days when you can go to an old park and find a coin of any value. Times have changed. People don't carry change that can be lost anymore. Its all debit card now. I'm not saying that you wont find any coins. You will, but your chances of finding anything of any value have been greatly diminished now. With the price of gold being so high, you are better off spending your time in pursuit of that. Even a little means a success story these days.

That said, I would trade in that detector on a nugget-shooter, and focus on that. Man, I envy you, being out there in AZ - I'd be one serious gold-hunting mofo if I was out there!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top