Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/5/2010 12:40:49 PM EDT
I am looking for a large tent option for my trailer.

I would like something that is large, lots of headroom and easy to repair if needed.

I want to be able to use it year round in Maine if I need or want to.

It will be for family camping and possible BUG OUT shelter.

I must sleep 4 comfortably and have an option of some kind of heater or stove and some living space.

I have been looking at surplus canvas military tents, but do not know a lot about them. A company locally, is selling a surplus Russian canvas tent at a good price, but I know nothing about them either.

Anyone own one of these types of tents? Opinions? Any suggestions? How about commercial canvas wall tents?

Pics and advice would be appreciated.
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 12:45:37 PM EDT
[#1]
I have a GP Small I got off GL.
Once it's set up it's great.
But it's heavy and big...and heavy.
And it needs a few people to set it up easily.

But it is once option to consider.
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 12:48:22 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
I have a GP Small I got off GL.
Once it's set up it's great.
But it's heavy and big...and heavy.
And it needs a few people to set it up easily.

But it is once option to consider.

How big a tent is that? 10'x10'?
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 1:33:41 PM EDT
[#3]
I remember seeing those Russian canvas tents a few years ago.  I believe sportsmans guide was selling them. I have a U.S. GP small. They measure about 14'x14'. They are not square but kind of hexagon shape. Center height is about 12'. A medium I believe is 14x32' .One thing to watch is to make sure it is complete with poles and stakes unless your handy at making such things.A lot of the surplus tents on E bay is for the canvas only if you look carefully. A complete set of poles will cost you an additional couple hundred bucks.The stakes are large wooden ones about 18" long and 2"x2"square.Little aluminum ones for a pup tent wont work. They are heavy and bulky but I like mine.
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 1:38:08 PM EDT
[#4]
M-1951 mountain tent....awesome..rugged.....simple...easy to repair...yukon stove............heavy....
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 3:02:23 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I remember seeing those Russian canvas tents a few years ago.  I believe sportsmans guide was selling them. I have a U.S. GP small. They measure about 14'x14'. They are not square but kind of hexagon shape. Center height is about 12'. A medium I believe is 14x32' .One thing to watch is to make sure it is complete with poles and stakes unless your handy at making such things.A lot of the surplus tents on E bay is for the canvas only if you look carefully. A complete set of poles will cost you an additional couple hundred bucks.The stakes are large wooden ones about 18" long and 2"x2"square.Little aluminum ones for a pup tent wont work. They are heavy and bulky but I like mine.

Do you know anything more about the Russian Tents? I can get one for $270 delivered with all the poles and parts.

They are 10'x10' with an additional 4'x4'x5' entrance to keep out the cold.
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 3:28:34 PM EDT
[#6]
The nice thing about the GP series is the chimney flap so you can use a stove to heat them.  Spent many the cold winter night in a GP small.

I would imagine the Russians would have the same requirements for theirs, but I don't use much Russian equipment
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 3:59:16 PM EDT
[#7]
I don't know anything more about the Russian tents. $270.00 for a military tent don't seem bad to me if you get everything for it.I'am sure the Russians built it to last.I would be concerned about mildew. You don't know what conditions it has been in to get it over here.It would be nice to inspect it first. I'am sure it would have a chimney flap for a stove. I like the idea of a seperate room of sorts. That would be plenty big enough for 4 people.
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 6:29:08 PM EDT
[#8]
I have beeb using a GI TEMPER tent in the U.P. of Michigan for the last several deer seasons.  We have it set up with a barrel stove that will roast you out in -20 degrees.  You can also add another section if you need to get more room.
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 1:50:09 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I don't know anything more about the Russian tents. $270.00 for a military tent don't seem bad to me if you get everything for it.I'am sure the Russians built it to last.I would be concerned about mildew. You don't know what conditions it has been in to get it over here.It would be nice to inspect it first. I'am sure it would have a chimney flap for a stove. I like the idea of a seperate room of sorts. That would be plenty big enough for 4 people.

My concern was the quality of the canvas used on the Russian tents. I imagine they are made for cold weather and snow. They have windows and a chimney flap.

I thought about using my Buddy heater for the tent instead of a stove.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top