Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/31/2010 1:44:46 PM EDT

Have any of you guys installed any kind of filter on your super siphon?

I would like to put something on there to keep from sucking up junk off the bottom of my fuel cans.  I thought I had them totally cleaned out, but I sucked up a few chunks of the red gasket that deteriorated when I put gas in the can (grey lined water can).  That problem is solved with a new gasket, but it made me think some sort of filter would be a good idea.

Any thoughts on how to stick a filter on one?
Link Posted: 8/31/2010 1:54:04 PM EDT
[#1]
Could always get some brass screen and cover the business end with it.  Could attach it with a zip tie or two.  Not very fancy, but it should do the job.  Damn, now you got me thinking about doing a fix on mine!!

stasiman
Link Posted: 9/1/2010 2:26:40 AM EDT
[#2]
Good idea, thanks!
Link Posted: 9/1/2010 4:26:47 PM EDT
[#3]
Nylon stocking and a zip tie?
Link Posted: 9/1/2010 4:43:24 PM EDT
[#4]
Steel wool and a zip tie!
Link Posted: 9/1/2010 6:00:35 PM EDT
[#5]
I wonder how slow it would flow with one of those inline glass-bodied, plastic mesh filters. You know, the cheap kind you usually run on a aftermarket carb.
Link Posted: 9/2/2010 1:54:21 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

I would like to put something on there to keep from sucking up junk off the bottom of my fuel cans.  I thought I had them totally cleaned out, but I sucked up a few chunks of the red gasket that deteriorated when I put gas in the can (grey lined water can).  That problem is solved with a new gasket, but it made me think some sort of filter would be a good idea.

I looked into this a couple of months ago  and found the following - Mr. Gasket 2526 - Mr. Gasket Chrome Canister Fuel Filters, link below.  It has 1/2" hose barbs which should match to my siphon tubing.  I'm a little worried about the back pressures it will create while siphoning but I found a link to another fourm on the internet where someone did something similar except their tubing was the smaller size, not 1/2.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/MRG-2526/

I have not purchased it nor installed it because the only parts store stocking  Mr Gasket stuff in my AO is out of the way for me.  I figure now that I have a part number a parts store should be able to do a cross reference or I buy  over the web and pay shipping.  Summitracing had the best prices if I remember.

If you try this post back and let us know how it worked out.
Link Posted: 9/2/2010 3:58:32 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I looked into this a couple of months ago  and found the following - Mr. Gasket 2526 - Mr. Gasket Chrome Canister Fuel Filters, link below.  It has 1/2" hose barbs which should match to my siphon tubing.  I'm a little worried about the back pressures it will create while siphoning but I found a link to another fourm on the internet where someone did something similar except their tubing was the smaller size, not 1/2.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/MRG-2526/

http://static.summitracing.com/global/images/prod/large/mrg-2526_w.jpg

I have not purchased it nor installed it because the only parts store stocking  Mr Gasket stuff in my AO is out of the way for me.  I figure now that I have a part number a parts store should be able to do a cross reference or I buy  over the web and pay shipping.  Summitracing had the best prices if I remember.

If you try this post back and let us know how it worked out.

I tried to cross that filter with both Wix/Napa and Fram and got nada.  If you buy it, it looks like you'll only be able to find it SR or Mr Gasket.  Since it's not on a vehicle and won't really get used that much, probably not a huge factor.

Good luck.

Merlin
Link Posted: 9/2/2010 4:11:18 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 9/2/2010 5:56:41 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
won't a filter like that make the siphon REAL hard to start.

I am quite sure it would.

Maybe you could but the filter on the discharge end.  That would still reduce the flow rate.
Link Posted: 9/2/2010 9:13:21 AM EDT
[#10]
Here is the link to a website  where I first saw a filter on a super siphon

http://www.thenewx.org/forum/showthread.php?t=24874&highlight=Fuel+cans

He's got a couple of pictures posted where  the filter is  on the hose,  one of which appears to be where the siphon is in use.  This was on the 3/8  tubed siphon. He later goes on to do a 1/2 inch one, 2'nd page of thread,  using fittings but it does not look as clean as a barbed filter would look. I don't understand the reason for a ball valve.  

To me I would think you'd have a large length of tube running from the siphon to the filter, then the filter, then a shorter piece of tube which goes into your fuel tank.

But as I and others have said.  I would think that a filter would make the siphon hard to start.

Link Posted: 9/3/2010 2:36:08 AM EDT
[#11]

Thanks guys, good ideas.

It very well be that it would be hard to get started.  What do you think about putting a valve above the filter that you could open to start the fuel flowing, then quickly close it to send the fuel through the filter?

It would probably be kind of cumbersome and bulky but might be worth it in the long run if the filter alone won't work.

I just need to buy one and give it a try.
Link Posted: 9/3/2010 2:46:56 AM EDT
[#12]
Just siphon into one of these

http://www.mrfunnel.com/Mr._Funnel/Models.html

Remember K.I.S.S.
Link Posted: 9/3/2010 6:21:41 AM EDT
[#13]
TJ posted a very inexpensive solution a while back.  

Let the gunk settle to the bottom of the can.  Hold siphon off of the bottom of the can.  Do not use the contaminated fuel in the bottom of the can.
Link Posted: 9/4/2010 3:12:40 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Could always get some brass screen and cover the business end with it.  Could attach it with a zip tie or two.  Not very fancy, but it should do the job.  Damn, now you got me thinking about doing a fix on mine!!

stasiman

This is basically what I did with one of mine except I couldn't find any brass screen so I used a stainless strainer used for a sink drain and inside of it I used a smaller stainless aerator screen and just used two zip ties.

I already had the parts and it works great. It's only a little slower, not really noticable.

The brass screen would be great/better if I could find some.
Link Posted: 9/4/2010 7:56:07 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Nylon stocking and a zip tie?

Good idea.

Link Posted: 9/4/2010 8:00:19 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Quoted:

stasiman

This is basically what I did with one of mine except I couldn't find any brass screen so I used a stainless strainer used for a sink drain and inside of it I used a smaller stainless aerator screen and just used two zip ties.

I already had the parts and it works great. It's only a little slower, not really noticable.

The brass screen would be great/better if I could find some.

Good idea too.

Walmart has the small SS strainers in the kitchen 'tools' [whatever] dept.

Link Posted: 9/6/2010 5:33:50 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
TJ posted a very inexpensive solution a while back.  

Let the gunk settle to the bottom of the can.  Hold siphon off of the bottom of the can.  Do not use the contaminated fuel in the bottom of the can.

I know that is the simplest thing to do, just looking for something a little more fool proof.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top