Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/22/2010 6:12:14 AM EDT
Just bought one off ebay. A friend said his parents loved theirs.

Any feed back on this?
Link Posted: 7/22/2010 11:07:26 AM EDT
[#1]
The Squeezo does a great job of separating the skin and seeds from the good parts of things like tomatoes and apples at a good speed and with little effort. Just being able to avoid peeling stuff is great.  We have owned our Squeezo since about 1977. Back then they were all metal including the funnel. We have three screens for it. The standard one for tomatoes and apples, a berry screen for dealing with fruits that have very fine seeds and a screen with larger holes for pumpkins.

We used it heavily for about 10 years for making applesauce, blueberry preserves and tomato sauce. Then we moved to homes where gardening was not possible and it just sat on the shelf for about 20 years. Now we live on rural property with a good sized garden and have put it back to work.

For tomato sauce we just wash and quarter but don’t peel the tomatoes and run them through the Squeezo’s middle sized screen. The good stuff comes out the sides of the screen into the tray and then into a bowl. The skin, and seeds come out the end and drop into another bowl to be taken to the compost pile. We collect all the juice and pulp and boil it down for tomato sauce.

For apples, we would wash and quarter the apples and then steam them until the fruit began to soften. Again we would run them through the Squeezo with the middle sized screen. What comes out on the tray is just about applesauce already. We would just heat it and add some sugar and seasoning.

When we got the Squeezo out this Spring, after 20 years of not being out of the box, we found that the rubber seal that goes on the large end of the cone shaped screen had dried out. I looked on the web and found that I could order a replacement for that gasket and for the vinyl bushing on the narrow end for $7. This seemed steep since the vinyl bushing didn’t seem to be bad. I bought a package of rubber seals for the old fashioned glass lidded canning jars with the wire bails and found that two of them would fit perfectly in the recess of the screen and prevent leaks at the point where the screen meets the body of the strainer.

Good luck with your Squeezo. I hope you get as much use out of yours as we have ours.
Link Posted: 7/22/2010 1:57:13 PM EDT
[#2]
Our family uses ours for applesauce and tomato juice.  We can put up both in a short amount of time.  28 quarts of apple sauce from tree to sealed jar in a bit under 3 hours.  the tomato juice goes just as fast.

Cleaning the screen can be a chore but its not too bad.

Our Squeezo is about 30 years old.
Link Posted: 7/23/2010 4:13:22 AM EDT
[#3]
Great guys, I had a feeling that this is one of those great things that I had just never heard of but has been around for years.

When you have about 5500 tomato plants in the ground you end up with a lot of tomato's that don't make it to the market. Not to mention it's almost pear and apple butter time, and peach butter needs to happen soon.
Link Posted: 7/23/2010 4:51:10 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 7/23/2010 3:15:16 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
We've used a version of the squeezo for years making salsa and sauce. It is the greatest thing since sliced bread––I can't imagine putting up sauce without it (and we usually do ~100 quarts of various tomato preparations a year). Finally went to a motorized version just recently......makes it even easier.

Where did you get a motorized version?  This year I removed the crank handle and just used a nut and washer instead.  Then I grabbed the cordless drill on low speed.  I actually think it is easier on the unit than a hand crank.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top