Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/13/2010 6:23:53 PM EDT
I just PCSed (moved) to Alaska and would like to have something that will provide large animal protection against a bear or moose.   So I plan on Purcasing a Ruger Alaskan.  Does anyone have any advice on a carry rig for one.

Any Help will be appreciated.
Link Posted: 7/13/2010 7:03:34 PM EDT
[#1]
http://media.midwayusa.com/midwayusa/staticpages/pdf/Chart_PDFs/Safepacker_Fit_Chart.pdf

I like the Safepacker because it keeps the gun protected from the elements and the eyes of sheeple. (Although being in Alaska #2 probably isn't as important.)
Link Posted: 7/13/2010 7:04:04 PM EDT
[#2]

Guide's Choice holster from Dave Johnston Leather in Eagle River

Link Posted: 7/13/2010 7:04:11 PM EDT
[#3]
any brand holster for a super redhawk???  Academy should be able to fit it out for you
uncle mikes comes to mind.  if it were me i would want a longer barrel.  i can shoot a 5-6" barrel easier in heavy cals.
but are you sure you don't want a pistol grip pump shotgun or a 50 Alaskan lever action?

good luck in AK!
Link Posted: 7/13/2010 7:06:47 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

This is my choice.  I became a dealer for them I like them so much.  

Link Posted: 7/19/2010 8:28:36 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Quoted:

This is exactly what i was looking for, I will be stopping by Dave Johnston leather.   Thanks for the help.
Link Posted: 7/19/2010 11:28:07 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

+1
Link Posted: 7/20/2010 12:26:06 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

This is exactly what i was looking for, I will be stopping by Dave Johnston leather.   Thanks for the help.

I had alot of call for chest holsters at the shop so I went looking for a supplier but most were cheezy and some were downright death traps.  THe Guide's Choice is top notch and won't get you kilt like some Nylon POS with a Fastex Buckle retention strap that takes two hands to draw or could get lodged in the trigger guard when reholstering.  

I even gave one to my boss for his xframe.  He loves it.  
Link Posted: 7/20/2010 1:54:20 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

I had alot of call for chest holsters at the shop so I went looking for a supplier but most were cheezy and some were downright death traps.  THe Guide's Choice is top notch and won't get you kilt like some Nylon POS with a Fastex Buckle retention strap that takes two hands to draw or could get lodged in the trigger guard when reholstering.    

I even gave one to my boss for his xframe.  He loves it.  

I have a Ruger Alaskan, and I will definitely be ordering one of these today. Currently, I carry it on my hip, but this rig looks like just what I need.

Link Posted: 7/20/2010 4:38:33 AM EDT
[#9]
I use a safepack when hiking, the one I have is a goverment model size, it will hold most 5" autos, the 454 alaskan will just barely fit as well. Very discrete, but like noted above, who cares. It also offers awesome retention. I have tumbled my dumb azz down the mountian due to a miss-step, everything stayed in there just fine, so be it I felt like crap the next day from it.

I also have a simply rugged holster and purchased a chesty puller rig for it for chest mount. Again very nice setup, however... you know you are carrying a big piece of steel on your chest. Also it "can" interfere with some packs.

Last option is the Kifaru Koala. Not only does it carry the alaskan just fine, it also carries my essentials/ possibilites equipment. Using it with the X harness makes it VERY comfortable and it still allows unobstructied use and draw even when wearing one of my bigger packs like the EMR. I also found that you can toss on the koala and then the E&E for day rides on quads/ bikes with minimal bulk yest everything is still readily avaliable. Here is my 454 in the Koala for comparision.

Here is the 454 is the safepacker hanging from the ridgeline on the hennessy hammock during a nap. I have since modified the safepacker with 550 loops so it hangs sideways to how it is shown, this way it is easier for draw, which hopefully I never need to pull ANY firearm in defense.

Link Posted: 7/20/2010 5:43:02 AM EDT
[#10]
Check out Simply Rugged holsters.  They are well known and he makes some very nice rigs.  His form fitted pancake holsters do not need retention starps and you can turn your pancake into a chect rig via his chesty puller rig.  It's a nice set up many have use up there including myself.
Link Posted: 7/20/2010 7:52:45 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I just PCSed (moved) to Alaska and would like to have something that will provide large animal protection against a bear or moose.   So I plan on Purcasing a Ruger Alaskan.  Does anyone have any advice on a carry rig for one.

Last I knew, nobody had ever successfully defended themselves from a real bear charge with a handgun in Alaska (although I think that info was back before .454/.480/.500's became readily available). I do carry my .454 SRH when I'm up there, but if I'm going somewhere that the chance of a bad encounter is high, I carry the Guide Gun with the Buffalo Bore .45-70 500gr flat  points or my 405 grain hard cast handloads at around 1950fps. Someday, when I get the coin, I'm gonna spring for the .50 Alaskan Masterguide takedown version of the guide gun http://www.wildwestguns.com/alaskanguide.html .

IMO the cheapest effective protection is a Mossy 500 12 ga. with a top folder stock stoked with heavy slugs. I picked up an old one for $125 and added the stock and sidesaddle shell carrier (all used and under $200 total). That's what I leave in my truck all the time.

BTW, killing a brownie out of season is a very serious offense up there with harsh penalties and is vigorously investigated. Get ahold of some of the info available up there regarding deciphering bear body language (bluff charge and huffing vs real attack).
Link Posted: 7/20/2010 9:20:29 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Last I knew, nobody had ever successfully defended themselves from a real bear charge with a handgun in Alaska (although I think that info was back before .454/.480/.500's became readily available). I do carry my .454 SRH when I'm up there, but if I'm going somewhere that the chance of a bad encounter is high, I carry the Guide Gun with the Buffalo Bore .45-70 500gr flat  points or my 405 grain hard cast handloads at around 1950fps. Someday, when I get the coin, I'm gonna spring for the .50 Alaskan Masterguide takedown version of the guide gun http://www.wildwestguns.com/alaskanguide.html .

IMO the cheapest effective protection is a Mossy 500 12 ga. with a top folder stock stoked with heavy slugs. I picked up an old one for $125 and added the stock and sidesaddle shell carrier (all used and under $200 total). That's what I leave in my truck all the time.

BTW, killing a brownie out of season is a very serious offense up there with harsh penalties and is vigorously investigated. Get ahold of some of the info available up there regarding deciphering bear body language (bluff charge and huffing vs real attack).

Do not know if this story was ever validated, but I keep seeing it all over the interweb....

http://www.jouster.com/forums/showthread.php?1392-Why-They-Carry-Guns-in-Alaska-(from-an-email)
Link Posted: 7/20/2010 9:25:58 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

One example
Man kills griz with 454casull

I have the simply rugged pancake holster for my SRH,  its great.  For backpacking in the backcountry next week I'm keeping it in a Maxpedition jumbo verispack.
Link Posted: 7/20/2010 11:24:35 AM EDT
[#14]
I also use the Simply Rugged "The Loaded Pancake" but mine is for a 5-inch 45 Colt Redhawk.  I also have the "Chesty Puller" setup which is a set of straps so I can wear the revolver over a hunting coat and it sits in the middle of my chest.  I use it deer hunting but if I were to travel to Alaska fishing I could wear it over waders just as easily.

http://www.simplyrugged.com/store/loaded_pancake.html

http://www.simplyrugged.com/store/chesty_puller.html

Your Alaskan would be easier to carry then my 5-inch Redhawk but I have seen teh saem holster used with the Alaskan too.  
Link Posted: 7/20/2010 12:04:48 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Check out Simply Rugged holsters.  They are well known and he makes some very nice rigs.  His form fitted pancake holsters do not need retention starps and you can turn your pancake into a chect rig via his chesty puller rig.  It's a nice set up many have use up there including myself.

Leahy does a great job with his Sourdough Pancake holster.  I have one for my Ruger Redhawk.  It rides real comfortable and makes for a quick draw on the hip.  They do make it for the Alaskan.
Link Posted: 7/20/2010 12:42:28 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I just PCSed (moved) to Alaska and would like to have something that will provide large animal protection against a bear or moose. So I plan on Purcasing a Ruger Alaskan. Does anyone have any advice on a carry rig for one.

Last I knew, nobody had ever successfully defended themselves from a real bear charge with a handgun in Alaska (although I think that info was back before .454/.480/.500's became readily available). I do carry my .454 SRH when I'm up there, but if I'm going somewhere that the chance of a bad encounter is high, I carry the Guide Gun with the Buffalo Bore .45-70 500gr flat points or my 405 grain hard cast handloads at around 1950fps. Someday, when I get the coin, I'm gonna spring for the .50 Alaskan Masterguide takedown version of the guide gun http://www.wildwestguns.com/alaskanguide.html .

I suggest you bring your expert opinion on guns and bears to the Alaska home town forum and let us all bask in your in depth knowledge of the subject.  

Link Posted: 7/20/2010 5:36:32 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:
I just PCSed (moved) to Alaska and would like to have something that will provide large animal protection against a bear or moose. So I plan on Purcasing a Ruger Alaskan. Does anyone have any advice on a carry rig for one.

Last I knew, nobody had ever successfully defended themselves from a real bear charge with a handgun in Alaska (although I think that info was back before .454/.480/.500's became readily available). I do carry my .454 SRH when I'm up there, but if I'm going somewhere that the chance of a bad encounter is high, I carry the Guide Gun with the Buffalo Bore .45-70 500gr flat points or my 405 grain hard cast handloads at around 1950fps. Someday, when I get the coin, I'm gonna spring for the .50 Alaskan Masterguide takedown version of the guide gun http://www.wildwestguns.com/alaskanguide.html .

I suggest you bring your expert opinion on guns and bears to the Alaska home town forum and let us all bask in your in depth knowledge of the subject.  

ZZZZIIIIING..............................................................
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top