Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/18/2010 4:18:58 PM EDT
I posted this in the California home town forum but I'm betting Ill get a better/higher quality response in here..

My wife is going to LA with her mom and Aunt.
My wife is very trusting and has not traveled much. Her aunt is an idiot.
It has been a few years since I was in L.A.

What areas should they avoid..?
It will be just my luck the big one will hit while they are there and Ill have to go find her...

Thanks,
Andy..
Link Posted: 4/18/2010 4:20:34 PM EDT
[#1]
LA......
Link Posted: 4/18/2010 4:21:54 PM EDT
[#2]
hhhmm best place to stay away from in LA is California.

for real though stay away from hollywood at night, inglewood at all, stay away from venice beach at night if she does go watch out for pickpockets and con men.
Link Posted: 4/18/2010 4:21:55 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

LA......

+1

I lived in Culver City, there is no place within 6 hours that I feel "safe"

Link Posted: 4/18/2010 4:33:29 PM EDT
[#4]
Anything below Sacramento is'nt really California. They will be ok. Don't leave valuables out.
Link Posted: 4/18/2010 4:50:58 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
LA......

Ya, that would be/is my solution...

Andy..
Link Posted: 4/18/2010 5:02:07 PM EDT
[#6]
a place you must not stay away from is an in-n-out burger.

Link Posted: 4/18/2010 5:07:32 PM EDT
[#7]
doubletap
Link Posted: 4/18/2010 5:11:06 PM EDT
[#8]
while both are good; Fatburger > In-N-Out Burger  

and like everyone above said, the place to avoid is the whole LA basin.

if you tell her to stay away from specific areas... she'll either let her guard down when she's not in one of those areas, or "go to see".

imagine the phone call; "Honey? we're in Compton and the rental car broke down. We were going to Long Beach and it just happened."
Link Posted: 4/18/2010 5:11:11 PM EDT
[#9]
Cali

Bunch of liberal tree huggers....

Good luck.  Leave a trail of bread crumbs to get home. Us Okies should never go.
Link Posted: 4/18/2010 6:39:07 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Quoted:
LA......

+1
+2

Link Posted: 4/18/2010 7:12:29 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
LA......

+1
+2

Having lived there (Hawthorne & also Carson) myself...
+3

Do NOT go to the beach after sundown. The gangs head out to the beaches after dark to cool off (not to mention get in a little armed robbery, rape & murder while they're there.) In a lot of parts of L.A, the smart people "bug-in" once the sun goes down, and I'm not kidding even a little bit.

Link Posted: 4/18/2010 7:19:02 PM EDT
[#12]
In N CA, try Juicy Burger. Better than In and Out but relatively few of them.
Link Posted: 4/18/2010 7:25:01 PM EDT
[#13]
Despite all the handwringing, it is not like Pitch Black where all the monsters come out at night. Avoid downtown and certainly south central. The area around LAX is questionable as well. What touristy things do your wife and Aunt want to see? (Disneyland, Universal Studios, etc.) Most of those places are highly monitored and safe. Hollywood is funky during the day (lot's of wierdos) and even nastier at night.

I have relatives from OKC that come out here often and leave with all their orignal body parts without any special supervision or weaponry.
Link Posted: 4/18/2010 7:36:25 PM EDT
[#14]
Stay along the beach areas and you'll be fine.

Even better, have them to go Orange County..most of it is great minus Garbage Grove and Santa Ana.
Link Posted: 4/18/2010 8:07:58 PM EDT
[#15]
why stay away from L.A?  it's the ultimate training area.  naw... i'm from l.a. i dont think there's anywhere i wouldn't go without a piece.  peace.
Link Posted: 4/18/2010 9:20:15 PM EDT
[#16]
My whole family lives about 30-50 miles inland from LA in the Riverside area. I havent lived there for a few years and every time I visit its worse. Have her take a Spanish English dictionary if she wants to go to the store or read a billboard. Last time we took the wife to see hollyweird and the spectacle of the day was a 60 year old homeless looking guy with long red hair and C cup boobs.
Link Posted: 4/18/2010 10:30:34 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Quoted:
LA......

+1

You didn't feel safe in Culver City?

Explain yourself.  

John
Link Posted: 4/18/2010 10:36:10 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
a place you must not stay away from is an in-n-out burger.

Ok lived in CA for 4 years and in and out is just like any other fast food joint! Sorry I'd Shake and Stake burger over in-n-out burger any day of the week! Funny CA raves over there food but really I only found one place that could make a gyros and the pizza there just sucked! Asian food sucked also! Mexican food was good only because I was 10 miles from the border!
Link Posted: 4/18/2010 10:42:00 PM EDT
[#19]
common sense and universal rule for white people.. Dont walk around areas unless other white people are walking around outside.
Link Posted: 4/19/2010 2:47:03 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

hhhmm best place to stay away from in LA is California.

for real though stay away from hollywood at night, inglewood at all, stay away from venice beach at night if she does go watch out for pickpockets and con men.

This was my first thought

Link Posted: 4/19/2010 6:54:21 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Cali

Good luck.  Leave a trail of bread crumbs to get home. Us Okies should never go.

Please try and educate yourself. The pattern seems to be nation wide - the libs are on the coast.

United States House of Representatives elections in California, 2008

There are quite a few good folks in the state as soon as you leave the big city.

Link Posted: 4/19/2010 7:22:54 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Cali

Please try and educate yourself. The pattern seems to be nation wide - the libs are on the coast.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/6/65/CA2008House.svg/250px-

There are quite a few good folks in the state as soon as you leave the big city.

Just remember –– those good folks you speak of are few and far between as soon as you leave the big cities...

Link Posted: 4/19/2010 7:32:23 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

LA......

+1

Explain yourself.  

John

It was the first time I ever saw a bum take a crap on the sidewalk. He was nice enough to put down some newspaper first though.

While the immediate area that I lived was nice, going 2 blocks in any direction got you into 'iffy' areas. We were told that we weren't allowed to keep anything in the garage, as people would break in and set them on fire (happened down the street when I was there). During the day it was ok, just once it started going dark the weirdness started.

Link Posted: 4/19/2010 7:32:52 AM EDT
[#24]
Thanks for the info...

I think some of this will help me get the point across that it ain't all 90210..

Thanks,
Andy..
Link Posted: 4/19/2010 8:45:13 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Just remember –– those good folks you speak of are few and far between as soon as you leave the big cities...

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/a/ae/California_population_map.png

Understood…
I'm 4th gen Cali (left 22 yrs ago) and can ride my bike to the NV / CA border. The eastern folks are cool. Not everybody there is a libatard.

It is sad to see such a beautiful and diverse place get so politically messed up by bozo’s.
Link Posted: 4/19/2010 9:07:36 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Cali

Stop injecting facts into a "hate" California thread.

Link Posted: 4/19/2010 9:24:36 AM EDT
[#27]
Stay away from landmarks like the Watts Towers. I can not remember how many fair haired tourists wandered into the heart of south central l.a. in search of this pile of rusty metal and glass. Hint, when you get told to drive back to the airport and lock your car doors,,, its not a cool place for tourists taking photos.
Link Posted: 4/19/2010 9:29:22 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Stop injecting facts into a "hate" California thread.

Grin!
Link Posted: 4/19/2010 10:18:06 AM EDT
[#29]
Been a cop there for a number of years. If you really want to keep them in a relatively "safe" zone, tell them to stay west of the 405 and north of the 105. Even then, there are some seriously shady areas around Venice beach, LAX and palms. LA is one of those places that has nearly million dollar homes on one block, travel a block east and you're in the getto. I've never figured out how that developed, but that's how most people get into trouble. Need any specific info, feel free to IM me.

Regards,

LABlackRifle
Link Posted: 4/19/2010 10:55:34 AM EDT
[#30]
Reminds me of a time driving from Fullerton to LAX at midnight to drop off some keys. Ran out of gas at compton ave on the 105 and had to exit.

My hot blonde girlfriend was driving, 5 people were trying to pump my gas, and my first credit card wouldn't work. I almost killed her for not filling up in OC like I damn told her to!
Link Posted: 4/19/2010 11:18:29 AM EDT
[#31]
stay away from anywhere the average income is less than $200,000
Link Posted: 4/19/2010 12:02:29 PM EDT
[#32]
When the Army assigned me to the Los Angeles Recruiting Battalion, I reported there in LA for my assignment. When they asked me where I wanted to be assigned, I said I'd like to go anywhere other than California, but since they probably couldn't do that, they should send me as far away from LA as possible. They sent me to the farthest recruiting station they had, San Luis Obispo. Of course, we had to drive to LA every time we had somebody joining the Army, but at least I wasn't in LA all the time. SLO wasn't too bad, but I was still looking forward to the day I got to put California in my rearview mirror. I even made sure to stop by Yosemite so I wouldn't have any reason to return to the state.
Link Posted: 4/19/2010 12:09:10 PM EDT
[#33]
Took the family to Disneyland a few weeks ago and I was simply amazed  by the number of pan handlers and religious nuts hanging out in front of the main entrance compared to when we went five years ago.

One guy was even carrying a cross and ranting in both spanish and english and yelling at passing cars.  Also lots of people sleeping on benches etc.  

One of the managers at the hotel we stayed in across from Disney said the crime rates were way up and lots of places now closed earlier due to this.  Sad really, but I guess a sign of the current times.
Link Posted: 4/19/2010 12:10:13 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Cali

One Liberal can ruin it for everyone.......

Edumaction complete.
Link Posted: 4/20/2010 4:06:34 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
doubletap Double Double

Link Posted: 4/20/2010 4:22:38 PM EDT
[#36]
Stay away from the whole damn place. Dont come to Arizona. Were closed for upgrades!
Link Posted: 4/20/2010 4:56:25 PM EDT
[#37]
When I was stationed at the LA Reserve Center the only bar I would go to is the Staduim Club and that was because it was a Cop Bar. I left there in 1988. It hasn't got better.
Link Posted: 4/20/2010 8:49:52 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
LA......

+1

Explain yourself.  

John

It was the first time I ever saw a bum take a crap on the sidewalk. He was nice enough to put down some newspaper first though.

While the immediate area that I lived was nice, going 2 blocks in any direction got you into 'iffy' areas. We were told that we weren't allowed to keep anything in the garage, as people would break in and set them on fire (happened down the street when I was there). During the day it was ok, just once it started going dark the weirdness started.

Let me guess.
You were west of Sepulveda in the area of Cluver City that's more Palms than CC.
CC has some of the quickest police response times in the LA basin. Faster than Beverly Hills.
Sepulveda is the marker line for the trashy part of CC. Then there is the shady area, behind the old Desilu studios. Both are areas for the cheap labor.
CC is like a friggin oasis in LA.

As for where to avoid:
Downtown LA, proper. If you see buildings taller than 20 stories for more than 5 blocks, GTFO. People are attacked in broad daylight down there. Especially "victim" looking unaware types.
All hours: Compton, Inglewood, East LA.
After dark: Gardena(sp?), Eagle rock, SilverLake, Echo Park, West Hollywood, Anything on Sunset, Fox Hills (just south of Culver City), The beach area (Venice, Santa Monica, and all the way down the 101 into Orange County)
Why the beaches? Because I lived there. Within the last 6 months. I lived in one of the most expensive area of Santa Monica and there are so many crazy bastards that gravitate towards the water, it's not safe to be an unsuspecting tourist out at night in those areas. Don't let the SM Prominade fool you. It's not safe to walk to your car at night, there. Venice is _worse_. Go south and you're playing with fire.

Huntington Beach in Orange county is slightly safer for night time. But not much.
Bug in at night if you're a tourist that's not street savvy.
Link Posted: 4/20/2010 9:03:08 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
I posted this in the California home town forum but I'm betting Ill get a better/higher quality response in here..

My wife is going to LA with her mom and Aunt.
My wife is very trusting and has not traveled much. Her aunt is an idiot.
It has been a few years since I was in L.A.

What areas should they avoid..?
It will be just my luck the big one will hit while they are there and Ill have to go find her...

Thanks,
Andy..

Oh, I almost forgot. Look poor and Mexican for good cover in LA. Nod and grin alot, but don't talk in English. My blond haired, blue eyed wife got a bunch of head nods and veiled accptance in some of the rougher areas, since I'm darker complexion, shave my head, have a bushy goatee, and tan up nice and brown in the LA sun. I would just resist talking too much and then only in rushed "mexican" spanish and we'd get much better service. It's amazing the level of hatred in that town.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top