Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 4/13/2010 8:50:03 AM EDT
So I just got my MIAD Full kit in today, installed it in my (still being built) SBR. Overall I must say I'm VERY happy with it, then I pulled out the 3 round core, and put then rounds in to try them out, and noticed all the extra space! I spent about 5 years in SAR/Survival school teaching to young people, so I thought I'd create a small survival kit for my rifle.

http://i198.photobucket.com/albums/aa91/UnknownHavoc1/untitled.jpg
http://i198.photobucket.com/albums/aa91/UnknownHavoc1/15303_1250053619704_1480380093_3055.jpg
http://i198.photobucket.com/albums/aa91/UnknownHavoc1/15303_1250052139667_1480380093_3055.jpg
http://i198.photobucket.com/albums/aa91/UnknownHavoc1/15303_1250046819534_1480380093_3055.jpg

Here's my basic kit, included:
3 Spare Rounds of 5.56
3 Matches (These should be strike anywhere, I didn't have any, so I put a striker under the core, you can see it in the 2nd picture)
2 Rubber Bands (Around the base of the rubber core)
1 Birthday Candle (I wrapped it in tape, so if it melts it won't get my core fudged up)
1 P-38 Can Opener
1 Razor Blade
50 Cents (wrapped in tape so there is no clatter)
3 Feet of snare wire

These are some really basic components to a survival kit, I took the most space effiecent I could find.
With the snare wire and razor blade you can easily catch, kill, and skin small game, if you need to save ammo or stay quiet, this is nice.
Candle is used to keep a flame longer, the match'll burn out in 8 seconds, with the candle you have a good 5 minutes, plus you can blow it out and reuse it.
Finally the 50 cents can be used if you happen to come across a pay phone.

The only other thing I really wanted to add was a small flash light, however I had nothing on hand small enough, it would have to be a VERY small single led light, even that (in my opinion) takes up more room then its worth.

Hopefully some of you enjoy, I know being caught in a survival situation with your rifle and nothing else is slim to none, but considering I'm not using the room for anything else, I'd like to be safe then sorry!

Sorry about the pictures not being great, I took them on my phone as I don't really have access to a good camera. I can get better pictures if anyone would like.
Link Posted: 4/12/2010 5:07:05 AM EDT
[#1]
+1 on a signal mirror (if you can find one that fits) and fish hook/line.

Who/where did you teach survival?
Link Posted: 4/11/2010 5:32:51 PM EDT
[#2]
Nice!!!!

I have the same 3 round plug (Bought it seperate from my moe grip) and it fits like a dream, and holds 3 rounds nice and tight.  I love how you used up the extra space.
Link Posted: 4/11/2010 6:31:55 PM EDT
[#3]
Very cool.

Link Posted: 4/11/2010 6:34:42 PM EDT
[#4]
Why not flint and steel instead of matches?
Link Posted: 4/11/2010 6:46:56 PM EDT
[#5]
I thought the b day candle was a joint, which in my opinion would be a great idea if you were in one of those kiss your sweet ass good bye situations.
Link Posted: 4/11/2010 6:47:47 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 4/11/2010 7:04:45 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I thought the b day candle was a joint, which in my opinion would be a great idea if you were in one of those kiss your sweet ass good bye situations.

LOL I thought the same exact thing
Link Posted: 4/11/2010 7:08:00 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

LOL, emergency ganga.  this has crossed my mind. "well, "they" are here. so much for clean living!"
Link Posted: 4/11/2010 7:08:28 PM EDT
[#9]
Dont know if it interests you but the Streamlight Key Mate is 10 lumens and with the keychain part, I think could be made to fit in the core. Its an incredible little light, not around my rifle right now so cant do a size comparison to see if it will fit... Just food for thought along the lines of contained survival kit.
Link Posted: 4/11/2010 7:08:58 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Huh? What's a pay phone?

Link Posted: 4/11/2010 7:15:02 PM EDT
[#11]
I am on the same page. I am working on building my shtf rifle now. It has the asc stock, moe grip, and I am still looking for a vert grip with storage (maybe home mod 1 moe vert?). With all this storage in the gun, it is going to be fun filling up with battle/ survival preps!
Link Posted: 4/11/2010 8:07:59 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

So I just got my MIAD Full kit in today, installed it in my (still being built) SBR. Overall I must say I'm VERY happy with it, then I pulled out the 3 round core, and put then rounds in to try them out, and noticed all the extra space! I spent about 5 years in SAR/Survival school teaching to young people, so I thought I'd create a small survival kit for my rifle.

http://i198.photobucket.com/albums/aa91/UnknownHavoc1/untitled.jpg

http://i198.photobucket.com/albums/aa91/UnknownHavoc1/15303_1250053619704_1480380093_3055.jpg

http://i198.photobucket.com/albums/aa91/UnknownHavoc1/15303_1250052139667_1480380093_3055.jpg

http://i198.photobucket.com/albums/aa91/UnknownHavoc1/15303_1250046819534_1480380093_3055.jpg

Here's my basic kit, included:

3 Spare Rounds of 5.56

3 Matches (These should be strike anywhere, I didn't have any, so I put a striker under the core, you can see it in the 2nd picture)

2 Rubber Bands (Around the base of the rubber core)

1 Birthday Candle (I wrapped it in tape, so if it melts it won't get my core fudged up)

1 P-38 Can Opener

1 Razor Blade

50 Cents (wrapped in tape so there is no clatter)

3 Feet of snare wire

These are some really basic components to a survival kit, I took the most space effiecent I could find.

With the snare wire and razor blade you can easily catch, kill, and skin small game, if you need to save ammo or stay quiet, this is nice.

Candle is used to keep a flame longer, the match'll burn out in 8 seconds, with the candle you have a good 5 minutes, plus you can blow it out and reuse it.

The only other thing I really wanted to add was a small flash light, however I had nothing on hand small enough, it would have to be a VERY small single led light, even that (in my opinion) takes up more room then its worth.

Hopefully some of you enjoy, I know being caught in a survival situation with your rifle and nothing else is slim to none, but considering I'm not using the room for anything else, I'd like to be safe then sorry!

Sorry about the pictures not being great, I took them on my phone as I don't really have access to a good camera. I can get better pictures if anyone would like.

someone else who thinks like me.

Link Posted: 4/11/2010 8:26:11 PM EDT
[#13]
you can dial 911 for free from a pay phone. so i dont really see how the 50 cents will help in an emergency. you would be better off putting a few fish hooks or a needle and thread in there.
Link Posted: 4/11/2010 8:44:56 PM EDT
[#14]
Is it really water tight?
Replace the quarters with a mirror for signaling. Probably not a good idea to shoot down a rescue chopper and I don't think pay phones are 50 cents any more.
Link Posted: 4/11/2010 10:13:31 PM EDT
[#15]
You've given me ideas, sir.
Link Posted: 4/12/2010 1:02:46 PM EDT
[#16]
You can always make a collect call, so you don't really need the change.
Link Posted: 4/12/2010 1:09:18 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 4/12/2010 1:14:43 PM EDT
[#18]
Nice kit.............but if SHTF, you're not going to a payphone to call for a ride.  By now everyone should have a cel phone, and who actually knows someones number, I dont, they're all programmed.......
Link Posted: 4/12/2010 2:11:40 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 4/12/2010 2:12:13 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Really well done.  Agreed find some white head matches (if you can't find any drop me an IM).

As for the light.  All defensive rifles should have a white light for positive target identification in low/no light situations.  So your light is covered, there are even weapon lights with a 'navigation mode' that puts out just a small bit of light and greatly extends battery life.  For more info hit our Lights & Lasers Forum (http://www.ar15.com/forums/forum.html?b=3&f=20)

I don't know how I missed this! I was going to add about a weapon light, which would make a light in the kit pointless. Thanks for adding that in there!

I see the general concensus is to ditched the quarters for something else. I think with some prudent packing I can get 3 hooks and fishing line down to about the same size as the quarters. Will try some modification tonight!

Thanks everyone!
Link Posted: 4/12/2010 8:04:36 AM EDT
[#21]
I thought about flint and steel for a second, however went with matches due to ease of lighting, and also to save space, a decent size flint flake and small bar of steel would take more room then the matches.

I like that streamlight alot, but I still think it is to big to be cost effective. I have a very small LED that I just remembered about today, I dug through my gear but can't find the darned thing. I think it is still to large, but its about the size I'm looking for, if I find it I'll post a picture for you.

I didn't know you could dial 911 for free, although it does make sense, but what if you just need to call for a ride or something? 50 cents is really only good for a phone call anymore, even a can of soda costs more, but it doesn't take up enough room for me to consider removing it, yet. Until I find better things to put in there!

The Miad is not waterproof, which requires coating the match heads in wax, which I haven't done yet. Althought this would ruin the striker I currently have in there, not that this would matter with strike anywhere, which I'll be replacing once I get around to the store.

I thought about a signal mirror, but I would really like a steel or plastic one, I'll have to check around, I'd like to find something about the size of a quarter, I'll have to see what I can wrangle up.
Fishing line and hooks also crossed my line, I'll have to see if I can add a decent amount of fishing line, and then a small needle as well, for basic suture work in the field.

I spent 8 years in the United States Air Force Auxiliary, Civil Air Patrol, 5 of which I dedicated to the Hawk Mountain Ranger School (I'm a permanent staff member/orange scarf), it is currently the oldest SAR school in America, we teach young people to particpate searches for downed planes, missing children/hikers/hunters. Once you start spending more time on the mountain, and go through staff training (very intense training, takes 2 years to become a full staff member) they begin to teach you more advanced skills, such as survival, rope work (both rappelling and climbing), rope rescue, etc etc etc, just about anything outdoors you can learn from Hawk. It's a great program if you have the time, it takes a while until they start teaching you the advanced stuff, but I consider it a major part of who I am today.

This is really just a real basic kit, although I would like to expand it to a decent little kit for basic survival. I think I got most of the things, however I really enjoy feedback! Things to add are definentally a small mirror, and maybe some fishing line, hooks, and a small needle.

Thanks guys!
Link Posted: 4/12/2010 8:29:19 AM EDT
[#22]
this is very good. id like to see something similar in an A2 buttstock with a survival kit inside
Link Posted: 4/12/2010 8:37:21 AM EDT
[#23]
Is that a joint?
Link Posted: 4/12/2010 8:43:06 AM EDT
[#24]
Not a bad idea. I got one of those tool kits that fit in the core, but your idea is a good one as well.
Link Posted: 4/12/2010 3:19:16 PM EDT
[#25]
All right, 3 fishing hooks, with approximately 4 inches of line already threaded have been added. As you can see in the picture they have a loop at the end, which would make it easy enough to attach either the snare wire I have, or shoe laces, or both! Again, wrapped up in a little tape package for easy storage. Now I'm looking for a small enough mirror.

http://i198.photobucket.com/albums/aa91/UnknownHavoc1/15303_1250861479900_1480380093_3055.jpg
http://i198.photobucket.com/albums/aa91/UnknownHavoc1/untitled1.jpg

Thanks guys!
Link Posted: 4/12/2010 5:33:51 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 4/12/2010 5:39:38 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Nice kit.............but if SHTF, you're not going to a payphone to call for a ride...

SHTF comes in many forms, not just Zombies rising from their graves.   A dead engine on the way home from the range qualifies, and the quarters would certainly be useful to call for some assistance.

Wouldn't you most likely have a cell phone on you if you were en route to or from the range. Also, if you didn't have a cell phone, but happened to find a payphone, there would probably be people around that would let you borrow a phone.
Link Posted: 4/12/2010 5:57:06 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Only two negatives I can see to this, and one isn't really a negative.  That would bey why even bother with the three rounds?  You can fit more useful stuff in there without them.  Second would be the matches. Unfortunately the grip core isn't sealed so if it was wet enough (rain, dunking) the matches would be wet and probably worthless.  None of the cores seal at the bottom, the AA/AAA and 123 battery cores are basically a tube with a rubber stopper, but water will still enter the grip itself.  So basically I guess I'm wondering if wrapping everything in plastic would be a good way to go.

back in the day in boy scouts i remember we had waterproof matches. they worked pretty well. these would solve this problem
Link Posted: 4/12/2010 6:00:22 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 4/12/2010 6:07:34 PM EDT
[#30]
This might sound crazy to some but do you really need those 3 rounds of 5.56? If you have a rifle then hopefully you have a few mags to go with it and if you empty those then it won't be long before you are desperatly digging for those 3 rounds. I just don't see the 3 extra rounds being worthwhile  in a survival kit since you could replace them with a very small knife, larger candle, Aspirin, vitamins, etc.  That's just my opinion.
Link Posted: 4/12/2010 6:19:01 PM EDT
[#31]
Very nice sir. Got me thinking.
Link Posted: 4/12/2010 6:19:56 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Only two negatives I can see to this, and one isn't really a negative.  That would bey why even bother with the three rounds?  You can fit more useful stuff in there without them.  Second would be the matches. Unfortunately the grip core isn't sealed so if it was wet enough (rain, dunking) the matches would be wet and probably worthless.  None of the cores seal at the bottom, the AA/AAA and 123 battery cores are basically a tube with a rubber stopper, but water will still enter the grip itself.  So basically I guess I'm wondering if wrapping everything in plastic would be a good way to go.

back in the day in boy scouts i remember we had waterproof matches. they worked pretty well. these would solve this problem

I haven't seen those in a while.  Though it is easy enough to make your own too.  A bit of melted wax and you're good.

Yeah, I mentioned dipping the matches in wax in an earlier post, this is a nice simple way to keep your matches dry. As for the 3 rounds, I can understand not really needing the extra 3 rounds, but honestly I would rather be safe then sorry. This is just a very small, simple, kit, I think I'd rather keep the 3 rounds, then add some other stuff. As long as I can make a fire and catch some game, that's all I'm really looking for in this kit, everything else would be in my 72 hour gear.
Link Posted: 4/12/2010 6:23:16 PM EDT
[#33]
Where the hell do you find strike anywhere matches. I've been trying to find some for the last year. The grocery stores around here don't sell them anymore.
I was told, by a store manager,  it was because they are unsafe,
Link Posted: 4/12/2010 6:25:37 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Where the hell do you find strike anywhere matches. I've been trying to find some for the last year. The grocery stores around here don't sell them anymore.

You can find them cheap online, Amazon has a box of 250 for 3 bucks, try local hardware stores, mine stocks them.
Link Posted: 4/12/2010 8:07:56 PM EDT
[#35]
life boat matches are waterproof and should be easy to find in a survival catalog. Might also add a bit of fine steel wool, makes great tinder and burns hot.
Link Posted: 4/13/2010 12:04:18 AM EDT
[#36]
i'm not trying to sound like a jerk,but with your training,thats the best you can come up with.a small firesteel rod would take up as much space as your matches,and not be limited to a few fires.some folded foil would work fine for a signal mirror,snare wire,razor blade fine,fish hooks,needle,thread,unlubed comdom,button compass,a good wire saw would work for a snare,and could be used on some bone,or soft metal..can opener? why?
Link Posted: 4/13/2010 3:44:59 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
i'm not trying to sound like a jerk,but with your training,thats the best you can come up with.a small firesteel rod would take up as much space as your matches,and not be limited to a few fires.some folded foil would work fine for a signal mirror,snare wire,razor blade fine,fish hooks,needle,thread,unlubed comdom,button compass,a good wire saw would work for a snare,and could be used on some bone,or soft metal..can opener? why?

There is a reason I keep a full sized survival kit in my gear, and that's survival. This kit is a small kit that is made explicitly if I was lost in a situation with ONLY my rifle. Now granted a firesteel rod would be nice to add to this kit, however I don't have one in my gear as it walked off last time I went out, so I'll have to order another one. Aluminum foil has its uses, however for a signal mirror it's poor at best, as I posted before I am still looking for a very small piece of shined metal to add to this kit, for an effective mirror. I've already stated I'm adding a needle to this kit, and with the fishing line already in the kit you can create simple sutures. Condom is fine for water collection, however even a small one would take considerable room in the grip. This kit is all about size vs usefullness. If your in a serious situation water is an issue, however if your out shooting you should have water on you, and you would most likely have the ability to collect wate, such as a plastic bag to create a solar still, there are a multitude of ways to collect water without a condom, so in my opinion it takes more room then its worth. Button compass is worthless to me, I am trained in land navigation and have the ability to identify NESW, both using the sun, and celestial navigation. It only takes 15 minutes to create a simple NS compass, so a button compass, which aren't presise anyway, is worthless to my kit. I contemplated a wire saw, however again we come back to size, The snare wire I have in the kit takes about zero room, a wire saw takes alot more room then single snare wire, and cutting through bone or metal isn't a priorty for me in a survival situation. This kit is made for ME, I am comfortable in my survival skills that it gives me the items I need to survive, if you need more things to your kit that's your choice. I however will balance size with usefullness.
Link Posted: 4/13/2010 8:48:34 AM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 4/13/2010 9:22:49 AM EDT
[#39]
nice setup
Link Posted: 4/13/2010 9:48:55 AM EDT
[#40]
I keep a Samson Firled Survivor in my MIAD grip.
Link Posted: 4/13/2010 10:04:54 AM EDT
[#41]
If you're carrying a rifle and need a SHTF KIT, I would assume that your carrying the rifle for a reason. I think a small bottle of oil would be space better spent.

Steel>matches
bike inner tube>rubber bands
extractor device> 1 round

but I like the idea over all.
Link Posted: 4/13/2010 2:12:06 PM EDT
[#42]
Think of what you could fit with this mod done?!?

Link Posted: 4/13/2010 10:31:23 PM EDT
[#43]
Great post, I had been contemplating putting one of these together.  It seems like you really know your stuff.  Someone else mentioned it....would you mind posting what you would pack into an A2 buttstock.  Assuming that you have the miad core as well?  It would be greatly appreciated.
Link Posted: 4/14/2010 2:59:17 AM EDT
[#44]
can you post a pic of your rifle,so we can see what your working with,and d a pic of your 72 hr. kit you carry,sometimes you give other people ideas,and you might get some how to improve yours.
Link Posted: 4/14/2010 3:21:04 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
All right, 3 fishing hooks, with approximately 4 inches of line already threaded have been added. As you can see in the picture they have a loop at the end, which would make it easy enough to attach either the snare wire I have, or shoe laces, or both! Again, wrapped up in a little tape package for easy storage. Now I'm looking for a small enough mirror.
Thanks guys!

TOPS has some small, almost ID-tag sized signal mirrors:

Small Signal Mirror

ROCK6
Link Posted: 4/14/2010 3:37:47 AM EDT
[#46]
certainly a nice 'feel good' kit.  
Link Posted: 4/14/2010 5:56:47 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

Around here I buy them at Ace Hardware-they must buy them by the pallet since they have so many in the store.

Would matches be considered an ORM-D hazardous material when shipping? I'd be happy to pick some up and ship them to you guys who can't find them, but I wouldn't want you to get shafted on shipping charges.

Link Posted: 4/14/2010 5:44:52 PM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Huh? What's a pay phone?

i havent seen one for years do they still exist? like out side of airports and stuff

Link Posted: 4/15/2010 7:43:36 AM EDT
[#49]
Good idea, but I'd rather go with this for my grip core.

Link Posted: 4/16/2010 1:26:41 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Good idea, but I'd rather go with this for my grip core.

http://store.magpul.com/images/uploads/22_342_popup.jpg

+1

not trying to shit on the survival kit idea... but keeping the spare bolt WITH the rifle can solve some occasional problems, and an Altoids tin kit in a pocket, or something a little larger in a Camelbak would go further.
i forget if it was the OP or someone else who mentioned the space in the vert grip. the TD stubby vert grip looks like good kit, but i kinda like the AFG i have on one rifle.

a mini Bic or a boyscout ferochromium rod would beat three matches. need a knife or piece of glass to spark the rod, but if i'm dressed i have a knife.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top